Oculus Quest | Meta Quest 2

I haz question about lenses.
I've read some vr devices use fresnel lenses why? I've always found them inferior to normal convex lenses.

I hate stuff like this. I'm not always looking straight ahead in VR. Just like real life, my eyes are constantly scanning things in the center as well as the left and right sides without moving my head. Less so up and down without moving my head, but still a bit.

So without eye-tracking, this is just horrible tech, IMO. Just like foveated rendering isn't useful, IMO, without eye tracking. Actually I take that back. Foveated rendering without eye-tracking is actually harmful to rendering quality in VR for me rather than just being useless.

That said, hopefully eye tracking gets good enough and cheap enough that it can be included by default in an upcoming generation of VR devices, which would open up the possibility of using these techniques.

Regards,
SB

i like tech like this, because i learn to turn my head instead of my eyes in VR, it's not hard really !
In the future the problem should be solved, but for now it's ok.

Electricity blackout again yesterday, finally finished Vader immortal episode 1.

Whoa this game really atmospheric and looks awesome in one or two scenes.

i suck at table tennis, but i'm having a lot of fun !
and there are a lot of people online to play with, that's nice
after a few minutes i forget i'm in a "game"

Damn I want that. Table tennis with the Move controls in Sports Champions was great and I have longed for a VR version of that. There is another PSVR table tennis game but that seems crap but this looks great with believable physics.

Damn I want that. Table tennis with the Move controls in Sports Champions was great and I have longed for a VR version of that. There is another PSVR table tennis game but that seems crap but this looks great with believable physics.

the other game is more aracdey with levels and adversaries, here it's really going for realism and simulation, you can configure your racket with different setting for each side etc...

Some people even released this accessory !

I went through the trouble of setting up sidequest. Was a bit of a hassle but nothing too difficult. I wanted to try out this barebone prototype of a game:

https://gamerboyadvanced.itch.io/disc-golf-vr-demo

It's pretty nice prototype though not near a full game. Has quite a bit of promise. I hope the developer keeps working on that and improves physics and so forth.

I also tried deisim but that was kind of... not so great experience for me. Somehow the idea of god game is still a great idea in my mind. Deisim's implementation is not something that I like though. Perhaps a matter of taste or revamping how the gameplay/ui works.

It's great oculus allows sideloading and that there actually independent service to sideload experimental/non store content. https://sidequestvr.com/#/apps/1/none/0

Fairly rare to get number from developers.

Eleven Table Tennis just made our top 25 best Oculus Quest games list the same day its creators revealed the title sold around 24,000 copies for Quest since its February 27 launch on the standalone headset.

The pace of sales means the impressive ping pong simulation game on the wireless Quest is very likely to surpass the lifetime sales on the Oculus Store for the wired Rift (it released on that storefront in December 2017) before Oculus Quest’s one year anniversary in May. The game released in June 2016 on Steam and sold more than 50,000 copies there as well over its lifetime.

https://uploadvr.com/eleven-table-tennis-quest-surpass/

got a quest a couple of weeks back and quickly learned about sideloading virtual desktop and playing steam games wirelessly on the quest.

I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend "the walking dead, saints and sinners" on steam. Fantastic game.

Wondered whether my pc would be up to the task. Bought it about 10 years ago, and have upgraded as best I can. Xeon 6 core overclocked to 4Ghz, Nvidia 970, 12G ram. Have a decent router. Virtual desktop tells me it has a 866Mhz connection, and around 25ms lag. Everything runs really well. Which is just as well, as my old motherboard USB ports don't seem up to the tassk of running link. However, given how well the wireless works, using a cable would be a backward step.

Agree that the quest feels a bit heavy (have nothing to compare it with), but I bought it as it was the first wireless VR headset, which is a killer feature for me. The fact that it can access all the rift games on steam wirelessly brings this to another level.

Does the Quest, and other modern headsets for that matter still have the halo effect that the original rift produced on white text on a black background?

Also.can quest play both native Oculus and SteamVR games from the PC wirelessly? I would also consider that a killer feature if so. Especially if it combines that with good inside out tracking.

All future VR headsets should have both those capabilities IMO, as well as a wired option for slower networks.

Does the Quest, and other modern headsets for that matter still have the halo effect that the original rift produced on white text on a black background?

Also.can quest play both native Oculus and SteamVR games from the PC wirelessly? I would also consider that a killer feature if so. Especially if it combines that with good inside out tracking.

All future VR headsets should have both those capabilities IMO, as well as a wired option for slower networks.

The halo effect is a compromise due to the lenses used. Quest has less halo effect and it's different halo. Much less halo than original rift but still some and different.

Quest can work wirelessly but requires purchasing 3rdparty software which runs through oculus store on pc and sideload to quest. Wireless mode lag/quality depends greatly on wifi router being used. Cable is better/more reliable quality. Wireless is not there when considering lag and bandwidth and reliability.

If you are looking for maximum quality I would wait for what hp has coming out in form of reverb2. Quest is price/quality compromise that is great for what it costs but not great in absolute terms.

Back