My old PC died after electricity blackout. Should I simply replace the PSU or buy HDD Caddies?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Currently dad says to sunset the old pc, my Lil bro says fix the old pc.

I suspect it's just the PSU that's damaged so I can either replace the PSU. Or buy HDD Caddies and use the hdds as external drives on the newer pc (and move the server duty to my newer PC).

Then use my switch in place of the old pc. As my Lil bro only need it for browsing stuff.

What I'm afraid is that... if I simply replace the PSU... With my luck, the motherboard will die not long after. Then more expenses...

So for you to call it old means it's from the 90's?

I'd first ensure what's actually faulty. PSU testing is easy since you have another PC in the house so dangle another PSU outside the old PC and plug it into the motherboard to check that the old one is faulty first.

It's even easier than having to swap out the PSU, as long as you can count pins. Unplug everything from PSU, plug in 1 fan if required, then use wire jumper to turn on PSU.

https://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/atx_psu_startup/
The green wire on ATX plug is the “power on” line and is pin #14. The standard ATX plug will also have seven ground, or black wires.​

Id try and fix the p.c and buy another one use the old one as a server, I think one of the reasons you seem to have so many problems (apart from the cat) is you run too much stuff at once

Id try and fix the p.c and buy another one use the old one as a server, I think one of the reasons you seem to have so many problems (apart from the cat) is you run too much stuff at once
I would have to vehemently disagree on this one!

As a proud friend of five live-in felines I can most assuredly say that cats are NEVER a problem with computers, not ever. Biggest problem I got with 'em is they get all cuddled in my lap so I can't get up and fall asleep on my mouse arm and such.

Back