Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

And I don't want to place online orders that will force some poor fuckers to have to work on delivering none essential items to me.
Combine it with an order for essentials then. If you buy from Amazon, you can bundle it with anything like foods and meds. And alcohol - in the UK, off-licences are being kept open as 'essential', despite SARS-CoV-2 having shown to be capable of surviving for up to 9 days on glass. So add some vino to your purchase, and then be sure to disinfect the bottles when they arrive. Or if in the US, place your GPU alongside some purchases of essential guns and ammo. Just be sure to leave the gun untouched for 5+ days to let any SARS-CoV-2 virions on it die off before you start shooting people or whatever it is guns are essential for.

You could also run antivirus simulations on your GPU in pursuit of a drug - then it'll be essential to the war effort.

Because now I'm stuck inside I'm pining for one.

And I don't want to place online orders that will force some poor fuckers to have to work on delivering none essential items to me.
Well, the mail guys will deliver mail regardless if you order one or not, so I wouldn't take too much pressure from it. The world hasn't stopped, it's been just limited on some areas.

Second day in a row where confirmed cases increase is around 17% instead of the previous 24%-25% range, this might just be a lull from the weekend.

Death toll shot up, mostly from counties that didn't have previous deaths.

Ohio's numbers today, confirmed: 1933 (up from 1653), Hospitalized: 475 (up from 403), and 39 Deaths (up from 29).
Confirmed Cuyahoga County: 493 (Up from 440)

Deaths by County: Athens 1, Columbiana 2, Cuyahoga 4, Delaware 1, Erie 1, Franklin 2, Gallia 1, Huron 1, Lake 1, Lorain 2, Lucas 2, Mahoning 4, Medina 1, Miami 5, Montgomery 1, Portage 1, Stark 2, Trumbull 2, Summit 5

Second day in a row where confirmed cases increase is around 17% instead of the previous 24%-25% range, this might just be a lull from the weekend.
Changes in cases will lag behind incubation period. If we assume a 7 day incubation period, no policy changes like restricted movement should show up until a week later. This is about what the figures were lagging in the Chinese results AFAIK, something like 7 to 9 days from changes to results.

Changes in cases will lag behind incubation period. If we assume a 7 day incubation period, no policy changes like restricted movement should show up until a week later. This is about what the figures were lagging in the Chinese results AFAIK, something like 7 to 9 days from changes to results.

Right, however Ohio had some odd policy decisions if I recall correctly -- they closed schools 8 days before the issued everyone else to self-isolate and shelter in place. Some may have been forced to self-isolate earlier because their children required at least one parent to watch them. Also some time after the March 24th order, it was further revised to explicitly close more locations.

March 12th they ordered the closing of schools but some didn't take affect until Tuesday 17th March.

The state mandate for stricter levels took effect Tuesday 24th March.

So possible changes from the Tuesday 24th March order should show around April 1st - April 3rd.

Data from italy is kind of interesting. They started quarantine on march 12th, daily cases peaked march 20th. Daily deaths seems to have peaked March 27th. That said, the daily new cases are still today way above from what was situation on march 12th. Don't know if amount of testing/rules used to test have changed in italy. Data from here:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Last edited:
Combine it with an order for essentials then. If you buy from Amazon, you can bundle it with anything like foods and meds. And alcohol - in the UK, off-licences are being kept open as 'essential', despite SARS-CoV-2 having shown to be capable of surviving for up to 9 days on glass. So add some vino to your purchase, and then be sure to disinfect the bottles when they arrive. Or if in the US, place your GPU alongside some purchases of essential guns and ammo. Just be sure to leave the gun untouched for 5+ days to let any SARS-CoV-2 virions on it die off before you start shooting people or whatever it is guns are essential for.

You could also run antivirus simulations on your GPU in pursuit of a drug - then it'll be essential to the war effort.

You know, those are some fine, practical, re-moralising words! Except for the gun bit. Can't get them here, and I'd probably shoot myself in the face while wiping it down with hand sanitiser anyway....

I need to look into this GPU distributed research too. My as well heat my room using the electricity for something good!

I think Folding@Home and BOINC had some COVID-19 related work units. I don't know if they've run through their supply of data already.

I think Folding@Home and BOINC had some COVID-19 related work units. I don't know if they've run through their supply of data already.
You think? :p
Folding@Home for COVID-19 broke 1.5 exaFLOPS barrier last week. For reference, Top-10 Supercomputers peak FLOPS put together is less than half of that.
They've had issues sending people enough work, but it's been about simply not having capacity to send more, which is why they've been putting tons of new servers up to serve people (Note: if you're folding and out of work on it, restart the client completely, it gets fresh server list only on startup apparently)

(yes, I'm aware not all of those are doing COVID-19, but considering the surge they've had, majority of it is.)
https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic....izLF989xPRRg9WIYzbd9d5gkfAaP3jCPdkcJbeyUpIt-U

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/...e-corona-patients-dominate-in-intensive-care/

If you google you will also find 67% reports from UK hospitals but I don’t know if that’s just a normal figure for the UK ;) and worried experts warning that Mexico (73% is overweight?) could become a disaster area as a result of the overweight epidemic they already have (which I suppose holds for the US too but at least they are a bit richer).

From my understanding, overweight people are more vulnerable to pneumonia symptoms in general as they tend to have weaker heart and lungs, so it's probably not something specific to the virus.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/...e-corona-patients-dominate-in-intensive-care/

If you google you will also find 67% reports from UK hospitals but I don’t know if that’s just a normal figure for the UK ;) and worried experts warning that Mexico (73% is overweight?) could become a disaster area as a result of the overweight epidemic they already have (which I suppose holds for the US too but at least they are a bit richer).
No word on why the recovery rate is so incredibly low? They mention getting more ICUs, but if everyone on them still dies anyway...

What is up with these stats? I guess they're mostly not being collected properly.

upload_2020-3-30_22-40-24.png

Same goes for UK's reported lack of serious/critical patients. Clearly it's more than 163 as more than that are dying each day!

It takes about 3 weeks of ICU treatment to get better, and very few treatments have been that long yet. In addition for some stupid reason hospitals don’t have to provide numbers for patients being discharged. But ICU beds are monitored very closely now because we are already at our limits and are working hard to create new beds and even some patients have been moved to Germany, who have the most ICUs per inhabitant of all of Europe (5x what we had originally).

On the other hand, you can die at any point during those three weeks ...

Also, vitamin D3 is not really a "vitamin" but a pro-hormone. So when taking vitamin D supplements, you are actually taking hormones. It's also pretty toxic. So toxic it is actually used as rat poison. Daily intake should not exceed 4000 IU (international units), less for kids and infants, but sensitive persons can develop hypervitmainosis D symptoms well below that. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, muscle weakness, etc.

Sorry, I have to go OT to correct this.

4000IU is a generally accepted upper limit for daily intake indeed, but there is a huge margin above that until toxicity occurs. Sustained daily intake in the order of 1000000IU could be expected to lead to poisoning in a matter of weeks. As the nutritional guidelines typically recommend 500-1000IU and supplements typically have that sort of dosage per pill, calling it "pretty toxic" is absurd. In comparison, dihydrogen oxide easily kills you if you consume just 5 times the recommended daily intake. Also chocolate kills you much earlier if you try exceeding the daily dose in ratio similar to what is required for D3 poisoning. As do many other substances - Especially if you are not human, which is all that needs to be said wrt to rat poison anecdote.

A choir decided to go ahead with rehearsal. Now dozens of members have COVID-19 and two are dead

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-choir-decided-to-go-ahead-with-rehearsal-now-dozens-of-members-have-covid-19-and-two-are-dead/ar-BB11Tjim

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. — With the coronavirus quickly spreading in Washington state in early March, leaders of the Skagit Valley Chorale debated whether to go ahead with weekly rehearsal.

The virus was already killing people in the Seattle area, about an hour’s drive to the south.

But Skagit County hadn’t reported any cases, schools and business remained open, and prohibitions on large gatherings had yet to be announced.

On March 6, Adam Burdick, the choir’s conductor, informed the 121 members in an email that amid the “stress and strain of concerns about the virus,” practice would proceed as scheduled at Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church.

“I’m planning on being there this Tuesday March 10, and hoping many of you will be, too,” he wrote.

Sixty singers showed up. A greeter offered hand sanitizer at the door, and members refrained from the usual hugs and handshakes.

“It seemed like a normal rehearsal, except that choirs are huggy places,” Burdick recalled. “We were making music and trying to keep a certain distance between each other.”

After 2 1/2 hours, the singers parted ways at 9 p.m.

Nearly three weeks later, 45 have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or ill with the symptoms, at least three have been hospitalized, and two are dead.

The outbreak has stunned county health officials, who have concluded that the virus was almost certainly transmitted through the air from one or more people without symptoms.

“That’s all we can think of right now,” said Polly Dubbel, a county communicable disease and environmental health manager.

In interviews with the Los Angeles Times, eight people who were at the rehearsal said that nobody there was coughing or sneezing or appeared ill.

Everybody came with their own sheet music and avoided direct physical contact. Some members helped set up or remove folding chairs. A few helped themselves to mandarins that had been put out on a table in back.

Experts said the choir outbreak is consistent with a growing body of evidence that the virus can be transmitted through aerosols — particles smaller than 5 micrometers that can float in the air for minutes or longer.

One of the authors of that study, Jamie Lloyd-Smith, a University of California, Los Angeles infectious disease researcher, said it’s possible that the forceful breathing action of singing dispersed viral particles in the church room that were widely inhaled.

“One could imagine that really trying to project your voice would also project more droplets and aerosols,” he said.

With three-quarters of the choir members testing positive for the virus or showing symptoms of infection, the outbreak would be considered a “super-spreading event,” he said.

yep and did you notice except for one dog no other animals have covid, why?
Its the clothes ... man
I propose everyones allowed outside but only if they're butt naked, -> most ppl dont even go out even too buy food = less public spreading o_O
mission accomplished

You may think that's funny, but the other day I went to the super market for the first time since my country started heavily promoting social distancing thinking it was ok to go if I just wore a mask and gloves. Imagine my embarassment when I discovered everyone was fully clothed!

You may think that's funny, but the other day I went to the super market for the first time since my country started heavily promoting social distancing thinking it was ok to go if I just wore a mask and gloves. Imagine my embarassment when I discovered everyone was fully clothed!
Keep fighting the good fight, hold your head high for all to see, erect and proud, we will prevail

or fail

Back