Beat Doom Eternal two days ago. Even on Hurt Me Plenty (Normal), I probably died more on the second level than my entire playthrough of Doom 2016. Ammo is a bit more scarce, the amount of enemies you have to kill in one arena can sometimes border insanity, and be prepared to destroy your screen when you're so close to killing a boss, then die because of one reason or another, and have to start the boss fight all over again.

Where in 2016 you could kind of glide through the game no problem as a superhuman tank - you're still that same tank in Eternal, but I found myself having to keep track of all my equipment because you have to use mostly all of it to ensure you don't get fucked. Once I progressed and my character got more upgrades, it started to have that same fun I had in 2016. But even then, I found myself having to take a long break after each level because it was just so overwhelming. I also played on my Xbox so my thumbs were on FIRE.
I totally echo this. The game is unusually hard even at the easiest mainly due to the scarce ammo, like for a Doom game, come on! The game would be so much more fun if you could have half of the upgradables right off the bat. Also please take this first person parkour out of my Doom game FFS! I died so many times in certain parkour puzzles it's just ridiculous and takes out the fun, breaks the pacing entirely.

Also I wish id would return to a horror type Doom one day just like Doom 3, this arcade Doom could get rather stale after a while.

Chainsaw to replenish your ammo.
It's nice that it's treated like grenade recharging, but it's pretty clear they gimped the general starting ammo to force people to use it more often while artificially giving purpose and immediacy to the upgrade paths, which isn't that fun to me and just change for the sake of "balancing" how I have fun in the sandbox, which they probably felt was too boring by itself, but that's what different difficulties are for?

It reminds me of when various devs decide that Gameplay Design is taking infinite ammo turrets and over the top action away in favour of "balancing" a turret section, and that just takes the fun out of the power fantasy, which is what these games are. Like, "Oh great! A turret to kick some ass! Oh but it has a cooldown..." so I can only have fun for how long a developer decides I should have fun as if that were the only way to extend gameplay with some silly cooldown timer. So why do I even care about the turret section next to regular gameplay that's also curated/designed. It's no longer special or rewarding.

edit:

That's not to say I hate the upgrade system in DE, but I think they cut things too low, and should have instead made it more ridiculously overpowered by the end instead - because being too OP is easier to fix with difficulty settings, if you get what I mean.

I do like how the chaingun mod has an extra set of barrels over 2016's 3 sets. They should just add more barrels to the shotgun in every sequel really. Also an extra blade for the chainsaw ala Doom 64. Come on, let's get rip-diculous already! Rip rip, hooray!

Last edited:
It's nice that it's treated like grenade recharging, but it's pretty clear they gimped the general starting ammo to force people to use it more often while artificially giving purpose and immediacy to the upgrade paths, which isn't that fun to me and just change for the sake of "balancing" how I have fun in the sandbox, which they probably felt was too boring by itself, but that's what different difficulties are for?

It reminds me of when various devs decide that Gameplay Design is taking infinite ammo turrets and over the top action away in favour of "balancing" a turret section, and that just takes the fun out of the power fantasy, which is what these games are. Like, "Oh great! A turret to kick some ass! Oh but it has a cooldown..." so I can only have fun for how long a developer decides I should have fun as if that were the only way to extend gameplay with some silly cooldown timer. So why do I even care about the turret section next to regular gameplay that's also curated/designed. It's no longer special or rewarding.

edit:

That's not to say I hate the upgrade system in DE, but I think they cut things too low, and should have instead made it more ridiculously overpowered by the end instead - because being too OP is easier to fix with difficulty settings, if you get what I mean.

I do like how the chaingun mod has an extra set of barrels over 2016's 3 sets. They should just add more barrels to the shotgun in every sequel really. Also an extra blade for the chainsaw ala Doom 64. Come on, let's get rip-diculous already! Rip rip, hooray!

I watched a talk with the main gameplay developer. It was pretty interesting. He said the main issue they had with the gameplay they'd designed for Doom2016 was that you could beat the whole game with the double-barrel and not use any upgrades or any other weapons. They made a choice to turn it into more of a hardcore game with the higher difficulties being more difficult than games like Dark Souls. The intent was to make it so there were gameplay loops for every enemy and every weapon and item.

Even easy isn't as easy as 2016. I'm kinda bummed because I suck at aiming and I'm getting a lot more motion sickness playing DE, so I'm gonna put it off for a while.

Ammo scarcity feels like a cheap artificial means of increasing difficulty like Halo 4 was, and it just ends up frustrating when I have to piss off and find a zombie to chainsaw while being hunted down by an arachnotron instead. Just seems like awful game design.

I shouldn't complain too much as at least the soundtrack came with this free game. :]
which is the resolution and framerate you are playing the game at?

As for the new Doom Eternal, since I wasn't the biggest fan of Doom 2016, I wasn't hyped, but I like the fact that the hordes of demons return.

What I miss though in the new Doom games, are the short, simple game designs of the original. Bring back the hordes, bring back the simplicity of the old maps even in 3D, but having maps which you can remember forever is always nice.

which is the resolution and framerate you are playing the game at?
Ah 1440p60. Pretty rock solid so far that I've played with lighting/textures on Ultra Nightmare even. Turned on dynamic scaling for when things get heated later in the game.

Last edited:
I finished Doom 2016 two days ago and I was thinking on waiting until a future sale to buy Eternal .... I could not wait ;). Tomorrow I'll be playing all morning, I will post some screenshots.

Ultra is already maxing out my 2060s VRAM. Damn you NVIDIA¡¡¡ khan.gif

It's a nice looking game at times, I do get some motion sickness once in a while due to tons of verticality.
17nk7i.png

2kmkvq.png

3o2j8g.png

Played last night, up there with the best looking games this gen, if not the best, it's at 60fps too. ID tech 7 is beast, can't wait to see what they can do next gen :)

Aside from the first level and that Giant Gore Nest level, the rest of the game graphics don't really stack up to the best out there, you can clearly see the sacrifices they made to hit 60fps. I'll say it's the best looking 60fps game but a whole bunch of 30fpsers easily eclipse it.

I mean, the best of 30fps will always look better than the best of 60fps, especially in screenshots, which is about all 30fps is good for ;) But seriously, there's no way to make a comparison between the two. One can do double the operations per frame, and that will always lead to advantages.

I mean, the best of 30fps will always look better than the best of 60fps, especially in screenshots, which is about all 30fps is good for ;) But seriously, there's no way to make a comparison between the two. One can do double the operations per frame, and that will always lead to advantages.
Absolutely not disputing that, which is why I'm still a 30fps whore:D. I get no kicks from 60fps games at all so I hope at least some devs would push those next gen consoles at 30 for balls to the wall graphics at 4k checkerboard.

Yes 60fps takes alot more resources then 30fps, but to say some 30fps games totally eclipse Eternal, i dont see it that way. Yes eternal is a late gen game, but its not getting totally eclipsed by say RDR2, detroid, HZD, UC4. It's a different style for sure, but especially considering it's 60fps/multiplat game, its damn close, one could easily say they belong in the same generation of consoles. Only a good thing, 60fps shouldnt be that far away next gen, if they dont go for ray tracing offcourse.

Back