Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I guess it's easier to use RT on cross gen titles, once you go full native next gen with the vastly increased assets and what not, it might not be so easy I fear. Hope they don't butcher the resolution too much.

I guess it's easier to use RT on cross gen titles, once you go full native next gen with the vastly increased assets and what not, it might not be so easy I fear. Hope they don't butcher the resolution too much.

It depends what primitives they use for the raytracing on next-generation maybe not polygons out of the thin objects and some voxel or surfel or signed distance field for the scene.

VRS? Not double, but a bit of a lift combined with more RT performance to use to begin with.

Who said Sony PS5 does not have VRS?:D Wait they present in detail the features of the GPU before saying they don't have VRS. AMD has a patent on it for RDNA2.

Do we have SDK information out there? Did I miss something?

Why such a long discussion on VRS?
@ultragpu what triggered your question?

Only that it didn't? OK it partially got it right with the 36CU but that's it. Do you see a 9.2 TF PS5 mentioned by Sony any where?

It was more correct than any alleged insider. Anyways, just some playful posting during the pandemic isolation. Dont take it to heart to mean anything like even more of a performance deficit between the consoles. We still have to wait for that.

It was more correct than any alleged insider. Anyways, just some playful posting during the pandemic isolation. Dont take it to heart to mean anything like even more of a performance deficit between the consoles. We still have to wait for that.
Oh I'll be just fine mate :D, even if it somehow lacks VRS it's not like I won't buy a PS5 or anything. But yeah, I'm ditching all those insiders for PS5 Pro, XSXXX rumors haha.

Having VRS or not for the PS5 is the new Github 9.2 TF lol!

They did not have raytracing, after the raytracing was not hardware accelerated the GPU was RDNA1, at the end it is 36 CUs RDNA2 but not the github speed. Like I said wait and see maybe they wait AMD to present RDNA 2 GPU to say what are the features of PS5 GPU.

Last edited:
Just gimme RT reflections on the skyscrapers in Spidey 2 and I'll be happy. Anything else on top would just be gravy.

I wonder if Insomniac could integrate dynamic res + temporal injection directly into the reflections themselves. I expect res/detail could be scaled with distance and performance; and if you're whizzing by, motion blur could obscure further reductions in fidelity. So much room for optimisation.

A general question for those more versed in this area:

Could Screen Space Reflections be used for what's on screen and then have RT Reflections "fill in the gaps" for what's occluded or off screen? And could it be done with a per-pixel (or finer) level of granularity?

VRS? Not double, but a bit of a lift combined with more RT performance to use to begin with.

If series x has vrs and ps5 dont certainly it will take advantage and have a boost. My only contention is the narrative that its a night and day change. Your not going to be getting 2160p titles on series x and 1080p on ps5 or double the fps. They are far too similar and close to one another.

Back