Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

Um... wow? What's different, there?
Not sure what you're referring to, but Canada has a .csv on their page that does daily numbers by region.

Looking at data by regions actually shows differences regionally, like Ontario and B.C. show a flattening of growth where Quebec still seems in a steady upslope. Other than Alberta the other regions don't really have enough data to parse anything, because the margin of error would be enough to turn optimism to pessimism.

They say 20% of people who develop a shortness of breath require hospitalization. I wonder if the fatalities we see are primarily from those hospitalized.
?

I would think almost all of the deaths were people hospitalized. Ventilation is the last resort to keep people breathing and there will be steps to avoid intubation of patients if they can. Regular O2, high flow or high o2 environment.

So where ventilators are available the vast majority I would expect to die while on a ventilator (or being removed from it).

Not sure what you're referring to, but Canada has a .csv on their page that does daily numbers by region.

Looking at data by regions actually shows differences regionally, like Ontario and B.C. show a flattening of growth where Quebec still seems in a steady upslope. Other than Alberta the other regions don't really have enough data to parse anything, because the margin of error would be enough to turn optimism to pessimism.
I meant that the deaths are very low in comparison with what's happening in other countries.

I meant that the deaths are very low in comparison with what's happening in other countries.

Don't know what's going in Canada. In general deaths peak about 2-3weeks after the peak infected count is found. Average death takes 19 days from symptoms to death. It's kind of horrible to be able to see the new peaks in infected counts in various countries and having a pretty good understanding on what it means 2-3 weeks from now,...

?

I would think almost all of the deaths were people hospitalized. Ventilation is the last resort to keep people breathing and there will be steps to avoid intubation of patients if they can. Regular O2, high flow or high o2 environment.

So where ventilators are available the vast majority I would expect to die while on a ventilator (or being removed from it).
I think you are correct. I just wondered after reading this:

Media coverage is beginning to reflect this reality with grim, gripping dispatches from the front lines of the coronavirus war. “A patient was coughing so hard he could barely speak,” Sheri Fink wrote in a separate story and photo essay for the Times, this one from inside the Brooklyn Hospital Center. “The young man was one of their own, Dr. Yijiao Fan, 31, an oral surgery resident with no prior medical issues who had tested positive for the virus. He had been in isolation at home all week and thought he was getting better, but began coughing blood that morning. He was awaiting a chest scan. He had no known risk factors other, perhaps, than practicing his profession.”

That was in California, USA.

Updated: A 17-year-old whose death was initially linked to the novel coronavirus despite not having any previously reported health conditions was denied treatment at a California medical facility over his lack of insurance, according to the mayor.

R Rex Parris, the mayor of Lancaster, California, confirmed the teen’s death in a video posted to YouTube on Wednesday, in which he warned residents to take the global pandemic seriously and practice self-isolation and social distancing measures.

The mayor said the teen “didn’t have insurance, so they did not treat him” when he arrived at an urgent care facility in the area. The medical staff then told the child to go to a local public hospital.

“En route to AV Hospital, he went into cardiac arrest,” the mayor said. “They were able to revive him and keep him alive for about six hours. But by the time he got there, it was too late.”

Urgent care and emergency care aren’t the same thing in the US. Urgent care are usually standalone clinics for issues that require immediate attention but don’t rise to the level of a full blown emergency.

You go there for a broken arm or strep throat. A serious case of pneumonia is something they cannot treat. It’s all outpatient services.

If an urgent care knows you have no insurance they may advise you to go to a hospital by whatever vehicle you used to get to the urgent care. Rides in ambulances can cost up to several thousand dollars for the uninsured.

Last edited:
It'd be most valuable to understand what causes the range in symptoms. Why are some people immune to symptoms, and other otherwise healthy people having bad reactions? Those people can be removed from the front-lines, and the symptom-immune able to work other jobs or support work as long as they don't have contact with the susceptible.

People who care?
  1. Nationalized healthcare compared to for-profit healthcare in the US.
  2. People who don't value making profit higher than human life.
Maybe it's just me, but I feel as if I made a stupid question and I needed a roll-eyed obvious reply, jeez...

Other countries have seemingly good public health systems but have far higher death rates.

My question was meant to be read as the specific actions/methods they're following to control the situation, such as a different approach in testing AND in handling the numbers, in comparison to other countries.

Ah, I took it as such a stark contrast to the US. People are still not following government lockdown orders, not in the least, and testing in Ohio is still targeting the Over 61, High Risk, or Travel groups. The initial state ordered lockdown order only has 1 more week. That isn't enough time to even hit the peaks and when people go back to moving around it's going to exceed their typical 25%-32% daily increase range.

The US is so fucked. And that's my optimistic outlook.

A report in the UK is that around 50% of the critical cases (i.e. those requiring ventilation) survive. They also note that 70% of critical patients are obese, which wouldn't bode well for many in the US if that mapped out. Men much more likely to be critical cases as well.

We didn't take the precautions early enough and even when we started to the President was muddying the hell out of the signal with pure disinformation and continues to do so. Our death toll is not only gonna rise drastically, everyone I know working in the medical profession has been telling me that it's being vastly under reported in our area because they simply don't have enough test kits still!

The curve hasn't flattened for us, and it won't even begin to flatten for us for another two weeks...and that's if we maintain quarantines and don't "get the country back to work early!" and just have another huge spike crop up.

So expect to see us going up exponentially for at least the next 2 weeks. They're expecting the US to hit 1 million cases on April 6th, it's like a special gift for my birthday. :(

Ah, I took it as such a stark contrast to the US. People are still not following government lockdown orders, not in the least, and testing in Ohio is still targeting the Over 61, High Risk, or Travel groups. The initial state ordered lockdown order only has 1 more week. That isn't enough time to even hit the peaks and when people go back to moving around it's going to exceed their typical 25%-32% daily increase range.

The US is so fucked. And that's my optimistic outlook.
Must be the old man in me, but it drives me nuts that a lot of people are treating this as a staycation where they can go out and catch up by visiting their local friends since they're all in the same community.

THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS!!!

I have some relatives on my father's side who are upset with me for not wanting to go visit him and his wife and have lunch with them and my cousins one day over there. I tried to explain the idea of contamination and they sort of laughed at me and asked me if I really believed in this hoax. i told 'em I'm sorry they didn't understand, but that's all the more reason why I am not going near them for the duration!

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity, but DAMN it just boggles my mind that people can be so intentionally ignorant! (They're also religious and don't plan to skip on church on Sunday when they have so many sick friends to pray for, and there's a funeral they have to go to! :O )

This is my father. I can say a lot of bad things about him but unintelligent isn't one of them. His wife is though and she's addicted FOX news, religion, methadone, and keeps breaking herself for painkillers. She's been in 3 different hospitals since February and 3 after care homes. Can you say walking germ pool?

It's not just gonna get real bad, it's gonna be f-ing cataclysmic. By the time enough people realize the seriousness of the disease the hospitals will already be over capacity and they're going to be setting up temporary morgues just to handle all the bodies.

And people keep asking me why I waste good monies to turn my brain off, do you get it now?!? :p

If being obese is a factor, that lifts the pressure a little more off those who aren't. However, there's a whole other world out there to get stats on. How does Covid19 affect those other countries? If it turns out the significant majority of those at risk are people who don't look after themselves properly, I think serious questions will need to be asked of the way health care is dished out and whether some people should be restricted from abusing it.

I see the Netherlands is low on the adult obesity stakes, so that doesn't account for their high mortality. There's probably a host of factors like alcohol, things inhaled, how much and for how long in a person's life. There's suggestion amount of exposure at infection also affects the disease strength. I hope at the end there are good stats all round on ways people can protect themselves by healthy living (or not!).

Maybe it's just me, but I feel as if I made a stupid question and I needed a roll-eyed obvious reply, jeez...

Other countries have seemingly good public health systems but have far higher death rates.

My question was meant to be read as the specific actions/methods they're following to control the situation, such as a different approach in testing AND in handling the numbers, in comparison to other countries.

Which countries are you referring to? Spain and Italy responded too late with wrong measures and another big problem these countries have is that they reduced public funding substantially for health care due to neoliberal austerity measures forced on them. Disastrous and criminous.

Last edited:
If being obese is a factor, that lifts the pressure a little more off those who aren't. However, there's a whole other world out there to get stats on. How does Covid19 affect those other countries? If it turns out the significant majority of those at risk are people who don't look after themselves properly, I think serious questions will need to be asked of the way health care is dished out and whether some people should be restricted from abusing it.

I see the Netherlands is low on the adult obesity stakes, so that doesn't account for their high mortality. There's probably a host of factors like alcohol, things inhaled, how much and for how long in a person's life. There's suggestion amount of exposure at infection also affects the disease strength. I hope at the end there are good stats all round on ways people can protect themselves by healthy living (or not!).
They have found correlation with heavy smoking

They have found correlation with heavy smoking
That's pretty inevitable. Anything that weakens the lungs. I also presume it doesn't matter what people smoke, it's still a risk increaser? Vaping may also do damage. Specifically it's been linked with chest infections. Obesity puts pressure on the body. I wonder if there's any biological state that cause an increased immune overreaction? Is the difference between those with the killer cough and fever and those with mild/no symptoms simply a case of the lungs being resistant? Perhaps that's something to look into and an additional warning to those who are putting themselves at risk (and unnecessarily burdening the caring medical professionals who try to help them despite their self-inflicted/exacerbated problems)?

Back