Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

It doesnt look like this is going to end soon.
Since the virus is in general "spreading" there is no reason to remove lockdowns or not to implement them where they are not.
Unless they come up with some "miracle" medicine

26% of people who tested positive for COVID-19 in Cuyahoga County in Ohio are health care workers, officials say

The Cuyahoga County Board of Health shared new data during Friday’s briefing showing the growing trends as more and more individuals test positive for the coronavirus.

Two key data points highlighted by the county’s medical director, Dr. Heidi Gullett, were the amount of tests that netted positive results and the number of health care workers diagnosed with the infection.

As of Thursday afternoon, the Ohio Department of Health confirmed at least 259 cases of COVID-19 and two deaths in all of Cuyahoga County, including Cleveland.

Statewide, at least 867 cases have been confirmed and 15 deaths have been reported.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2020/03...t-increase-cuyahoga-county-coronavirus-cases/

The guy's a dick but wishing death on somebody is a bit strong.
Yup, I draw the line at that one too now.

Last time I wished someone dead I didn't just wish them dead, I wished they died a slow and horrible death. The next day they were diagnosed with cancer and managed to hang on through 2 agonizing years.

I don't think I caused it, but I decided never to do it again. We all only got one life, don't mess with 'em!

i think its unethical to talk about this as this virus is killing 1000s per day.
1000s of people die every day. They die of starvation and poverty and war and disease and criminal activity. The world is full of shit. That doesn't mean we stop living or looking towards a positive future. You may feel talk of games machines is inappropriate, but it's far from unethical. Heck, if its unethical to reveal console specs, it's unethical to talk about video games on a forum...

i think its unethical to talk about this as this virus is killing 1000s per day.

Personally, I'm glad of the distraction!

And so long as they aren't endangering anyone in producing more content about these console, I don't have a problem with it.

It's actually probably a good thing if we're in our houses, locked away from the world, sat on our PCs talking about nerdy stuff ...

Larger jump in today's Ohio numbers, 31% increase instead of the typical 25% range. Even if only 25% jump in confirmed numbers, that puts it at 2.2K next Monday, 5.4K next Friday, and 10.6K next next Monday. Crazy spread, and these numbers should be trailing by 2 weeks with how long it takes for symptoms to show.

Ohio's numbers today, confirmed: 1137 (up from 867), Hospitalized: 276 (up from 223), and 19 Deaths (up from 15).
Confirmed Cuyahoga County: 330 (Up from 247)

Deaths by County: Columbiana 1, Cuyahoga 2, Erie 1, Franklin 2, Gallia 1, Lucas 2, Mahoning 2, Miami 4, Stark 2, Trumbull 1, Summit 1

@rcf will like this. Here's some talk on how the real death-rate may be far lower (given a number of these people would die this year anyway even without Covid19), and acknowledges the potential collateral damage. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

The economic hit is something University of Bristol researchers have now looked at. Their conclusion? Trashing the economy costs lives.

They found the benefit of a long-term lockdown in reducing premature deaths is outweighed by the cost in terms of lost life expectancy from a prolonged economic dip.

And the tipping point is a 6.4% decline in the size of the economy - on par with what happened following the 2008 financial crash - which leads to a loss of three months of life on average across the population because of factors from declining living standards to poorer health care.
Although that's mostly looking at the suppressed numbers of 20,000. The slowing-model with 250,000 deaths includes many who would otherwise live.

It's in no way unethical, you can think it's in bad taste but ethics has very little to do with it.

Yeah people are dying and this is awful and a plague/disaster/crisis of a proportion none of us have seen in our lifetimes, but life still goes on. If all I did was talk and hear about the epidemic I think I'd go stark raving mad in just a matter of days.

We don't mean any disrespect to anyone, we're just talking. Relax, it's all good here even if the world is going to hell. :)

Back