Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

I plan to get the new TCL-6 this summer when it comes out. Maybe that and the new console(s) or my pc will make it apparent.

Better frame rate is always better :)
You right in that the games you mentioned are fine at 30fps and in regards to those games I would take better graphics and 30 fps over 120 fps everytime but for competitive online games 60fps should be minimum next gen.

It's going to depend on if the visual difference between 30fps vs 60fps is pronounced enough for them to go with 30fps. I think 60fps might become the new baseline for AAA single player games though.

Would be nice to get some informed opinions on if there will be a noticable difference going with 30fps or at least a big enough difference to go with 30fps.

Haven't seen much about XBSX audio.

This is my second favorite announced item about the Series X and really assuming everyone takes advantage of the superior audio options for both devices this will probably be what I enjoy about next gen the most. Ok, minimal loading probably still wins out but I quite enjoy my Atmos setup and being engulfed in audio is what I enjoy most in games and movies.

30 fps might not go away next gen considering that RT may be more feasible at 30 vs anything higher.

proper RTRT is brutal on resources and needs raw power to pull it off. Any AAA title using it will be limited to 30fps, at best.

I wonder if you cud get away with only calculating RT every other frame if the main renderer is targeting at 60hz.

proper RTRT is brutal on resources and needs raw power to pull it off. Any AAA title using it will be limited to 30fps, at best.
What do you consider 'proper RTRT' though? I think you'll find clever hybrid renderers will get great results from limited RTRT capabilities.

I wonder if you cud get away with only calculating RT every other frame if the main renderer is targeting at 60hz.

This might be a dumb question from a position of ignorance, but there's something I've been wondering about PS5's clock-shifting ability, and your post gives me a reasonable impetus to ask.
If a particular game engine were to use any expensive process on an alternating frame basis, does the PS5 shift its clocks so quickly that it can reallocate speed with each successive frame? Would heat remain at maximum levels at all times under such a scenario?
(ok, that was actually two questions)

I was thinking $149, $199, $299, $399, $499 for the Xbox lineup this holiday or are people expecting the two One S devices to be discontinued? Apologies if already covered.

I was thinking $149, $199, $299, $399, $499 for the Xbox lineup this holiday or are people expecting the two One S devices to be discontinued? Apologies if already covered.

I think a lot depends on Lockhart. I would be surprised if Xbox One X continues to sell when Xbox Series X launches but who knows what production improvements will let Microsoft offer; it may well be they can offer a number of price points and I have always been a fan of options but your have to ask yourself at what point do they drop support for consoles they are selling now.

If they have more than 2 SKUs this holiday I would be surprised. Sorry 1X you did your job. I don't think Lockhart will see the light of day. If it does it's most likely not a games console. Would love to be wrong though.

Tommy McClain

Back