Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

VR Wars: Navi vs. Turing Revisited with the Vive Pro
March 9, 2020

https://babeltechreviews.com/vr-wars-navi-vs-turing-revisited-with-the-vive-pro/

Interesting. After reading the introduction I was expecting the NV cards to do relatively better due to 5 of the games using UE which generally, but not always, runs better on NV hardware. So, I was somewhat surprised to see the results be so equal between the two competitors.

I wonder if it's because performance is so critical to a good VR experience that VR developers spend more time optimizing for both vendor's cards versus say desktop gaming where one or the other will receive more or less optimization time?

Regards,
SB

If a game has stereoscopic options does that mean it will work with a vr helmet?
ps: orangpelupa I'm still waiting for you to get back to me about the GT Legends demo

If a game has stereoscopic options does that mean it will work with a vr helmet?
ps: orangpelupa I'm still waiting for you to get back to me about the GT Legends demo

it have no VR support :(

Stereo 3D on vr headset do looks good for movies but for games.... real VR is much better

Last edited:

It'll work as though you're sat in the perfect viewing spot at a cinema. I've watched a couple of 3D movies on PSVR, and it's a pretty cool effect. I've yet to play any non-VR stereoscopic games on it, but I'm confident it would be the same.

Davros you'd probably want to buy VorpX. The author has gotten many old games to work fairly well with VR. That's with head tracking and correct rendering. I've played Dark Messiah, Dishonored, Unreal Tournament, and some others with it. It's quirky but interesting to say the least. The author is very active on their forums too.

Last edited:
Reverb has awesome clarity, but I think Reverb 2 needs to address the narrow FOV, the tiny area of the sweet spot, the lame contrast ratio (black is grey fog), and the slightly too-short cable that you simply can't extend with off the shelf extensions due to signal integrity problems. It could also use better headphones that have some bass response. SteamVR support is great already. Steam has been steadily pumping improvements into it for a year now. There have been a few games with poor support for the WMR controllers but it's rare.

Inside out tracking is fine as long as you keep your hands where the cameras can see them. This is problematic with say Blade & Sorcery where I need to consciously not get carried away with where I hold weapons. I need to avoid smashing my hands into walls and ceiling too though anyway. ;) Got plenty of scratches and paint scuffs on my WMR controllers lol.

My only significant complaint with the WMR controllers is they are very sensitive to battery voltage. Even alkalines get to "low battery" status quickly. You can ignore that warning and they still work, but I think the rumble feature is reduced or something. Whatever. But it's stupid nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reverb has awesome clarity, but I think Reverb 2 needs to address the narrow FOV, the tiny area of the sweet spot, the lame contrast ratio (black is grey fog), and the slightly too-short cable that you simply can't extend with off the shelf extensions due to signal integrity problems. It could also use better headphones that have some bass response. SteamVR support is great already. Steam has been steadily pumping improvements into it for a year now. There have been a few games with poor support for the WMR controllers but it's rare.

Inside out tracking is fine as long as you keep your hands where the cameras can see them. This is problematic with say Blade & Sorcery where I need to consciously not get carried away with where I hold weapons. I need to avoid smashing my hands into walls and ceiling too though anyway. ;) Got plenty of scratches and paint scuffs on my WMR controllers lol.

My only significant complaint with the WMR controllers is they are very sensitive to battery voltage. Even alkalines get to "low battery" status quickly. You can ignore that warning and they still work, but I think the rumble feature is reduced or something. Whatever. But it's stupid nonetheless.
The ad slogan is no compromises which leads many to think it will be a hybrid of lighthouse and inside out for optimum tracking. Also the lenses in the index are top notch so if hp gets access to them we should see a larger fov and much better sweet spot

I've also had problems with Reverb's USB connectivity. I think it's power related. I have an Asrock Z370 motherboard and at least two of the Intel USB ports are unstable with the HMD. It will usually work for 10 minutes or so but eventually its driver crashes and it goes dark. It might also start glitching in various ways. I switched to the onboard Asmedia USB controller's port and that seems to work fine. I can't seem to find specs on how much USB power the HMD uses but it sounds like some people have resorted to external powered hubs.

I read Oculus had USB problems too but in that case they were seeing that you ideally needed to have a USB controller dedicated only to VR-related devices so they could function as efficiently as possible. Actually I think that might have been a linked article from this thread... ;)

Last edited:
Can confirm usb active hub works.

Without additional power, oculus link will crash in an hour or two. With 5v 2A phone charger giving additional power, it works for... Forever? It no longer crashes

Ok nevermind. I think the problem is actually physically the motherboard's rear ports. Two of them won't work with the HMD at all now. They do seem somewhat loose/wobbly. I tried USB 3 flash drives and a SATA adapter without issue but whatever. I installed a rear panel USB 3 bracket and the HMD is cool with that and works flawlessly with USB settings all at defaults.

Last edited:
One thing the rift did well, there is a blue dot on one side of the usb connector, I'm always trying to plug in usb devices the wrong way

aMPwD0S.jpeg

I need help with steam vr games and the rift my eye level is too low in some games(cdf starfighter eyelevel is where my virtual knees are) and too high in others (rfactor 2 my head is about 6 foot higher than it should be like i'm driving the f1 car while standing on the seat)
How do i fix this ?

Back