Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

you would need to set it to full 5.1 bit stream out.
If you didn't have that option back then, that would explain the failure.

I can't remember what options I had. The only thing that sticks in my memory about the whole ordeal is a loose amalgamation of the various moments of "but WHYYYYYY?"

The only thing I hated more was setting up a couple of routers at home, so the consoles in the lounge were connected to the main router, which then fed another router in the bedroom, for my girlfriend's PSTV and improved WiFi coverage. After the initial optimism, and realising what an undertaking I'd gotten myself in for (on my one day off from work!!!) I hated every moment of it. I was successful, but by the time I was successful, I was ready to set the routers on fire and then throw myself out of the window.

looks good, I would consider these but my headsets are 300 ohm resistance ones. Super annoying lol. I wish I understood what I was getting myself into before buying these.
The Soundblaster supports up to 600 ohm resistance.
These 2 amps only support up to 32 ohm.

The Hel can do:
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 200mW RMS

It was designed for higher impedance headphones.

What are PC's like for connecting to AV receivers these days? It's been a fair few years since I used a PC for gaming and entertainment, so things will likely be pretty different now, but I recall it being a real pain in the tits to get the PC to pass anything more than stereo.

PC gamer here, just as like with the PS4, HDMI :p

My 670/i7 920 pc still has a X-FI extremegamer fatality pro champion in it, its a beast of a audio chip for its time, and even today its still good. It has 64MB X-ram for lower latency access onboard. Very high quality DAC's on that thing too. Latest drivers for W10 just shy of a year ago. Was bvought way back in 2006. No single problems with all the games ive tried.

So I’ve been thinking - isn’t the SSD much faster than even the PS3 RAM bandwidth?

And didn’t the PS4 Pro have an additional RAM module of 1GB to offload OS tasks from main RAM?

History is showing us that Sony wants as little OS data in main RAM as possible, which makes sense to me.

Maybe my numbers are wrong but if the SSD is much faster than the PS3 RAM, surely dormant OS data doesn’t need to be in RAM at all times? And if it isn’t fast enough, surely Sony are thinking of putting in a cheap, small RAM module in there to reserve precious main RAM mostly for games?

Cerny himself said it:

“We felt games needed a little more memory — about 10 percent more — so we added a gigabyte of slow, conventional DRAM to the console," said Mark Cerny, lead system architect for the PS4, in a lengthy interview with Digital Foundry. The extra DRAM is different from the console’s existing 8 GB of GDDR5 graphics memory; it’s not meant to be used for games.

Cerny explained that the current PS4 uses part of its fast GDDR5 RAM for multitasking, keeping nongaming apps like Netflix in memory to allow for quick switching between a game and something else. That’s not the best use of the graphics RAM, which is why Sony added the slower DDR3 memory to the PS4 Pro.”

Any thoughts?

And didn’t the PS4 Pro have an additional RAM module of 1GB to offload OS tasks from main RAM?

Thinkso yes, the Pro had 512mb increased ram for the OS i think, freeing up half a gb for games, compared to the base ps4. Thinking of it, the base ps4's OS can be rather sluggish, doesnt feel as snappy as the Pro's.

Maybe my numbers are wrong but if the SSD is much faster than the PS3 RAM, surely dormant OS data doesn’t need to be in RAM at all times? And if it isn’t fast enough, surely Sony are thinking of putting in a cheap, small RAM module in there to reserve precious main RAM mostly for games?

PS3/x360 will be 15 year old soon, they are in the time when DDR1 (DDR2 was releasing 2006?) was actual. Wouldn't suprise me if nvme SSD tech in raw numbers is as fast or faster then the XDR/360 ram, but maybe their latency was better.
Further, it seems both XSX/PS5 will use their 16GB for everything, the XSX teardown didn't unveil any extra ram pools atleast?

So I’ve been thinking - isn’t the SSD much faster than even the PS3 RAM bandwidth?

History is showing us that Sony wants as little OS data in main RAM as possible, which makes sense to me.

Cerny himself said it:

Any thoughts?

Any additional ram would require an additional memory interface. Not sure it's worth it. The PS4 and Pro had that additional SoC that had it's own memory. I don't think they have the 2nd SoC this time.

As for the OS reservation, the XBSX's went down gen over gen (probably due to the ability to quickly load from the SSD), so I'd be surprised if the PS5's didn't as well.

Thinkso yes, the Pro had 512mb increased ram for the OS i think, freeing up half a gb for games, compared to the base ps4. Thinking of it, the base ps4's OS can be rather sluggish, doesnt feel as snappy as the Pro's.

PS3/x360 will be 15 year old soon, they are in the time when DDR1 (DDR2 was releasing 2006?) was actual. Wouldn't suprise me if nvme SSD tech in raw numbers is as fast or faster then the XDR/360 ram, but maybe their latency was better.
Further, it seems both XSX/PS5 will use their 16GB for everything, the XSX teardown didn't unveil any extra ram pools atleast?

PS3 was DDR3, no? I’m so old.

One thing from elsewhere in the forums is that you don't want a bunch of writes to the SSD if you can help it as that reduces the lifetime of your SSD. Maybe those write numbers are so high that it doesn't matter but I think that it probably will. The OS will do a number of writes over time making it better to have DRAM for it instead.
Since the XBSX doesn't have that extra memory it seems likely the PS5 won't bother either but I hope I am wrong about that.
The SSD can help mitigate the amount of ram used during games however for both consoles.
I am sure the PS5 Pro will have that extra RAM if the PS5 doesn't.

It could have higher bandwidth, but much longer latency. I think the 2nd half is unavoidable. Round trip is just a very long time given how far away it is; seek times etc.

But doesn’t the SSD have zero seek times?

Also, in terms of actual user interface, we usually press the Home button and give it half a second or so, isn’t that enough for the SSD to read/write more than enough?

Also, in terms of actual user interface, we usually press the Home button and give it half a second or so, isn’t that enough for the SSD to read/write more than enough?
Seek times compared to a mechanical hard disk but it will take time for the SSD to cough up the first bit of data once it is asked for it. Once that first bit starts making it's way the firehouse of data will begin.

From an ostensibly positive post on the subject:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...station-5s-specs.176024/page-16#post-30063637
Just because SSDs are fast, though, doesn't mean their access time is negligible. You really can't treat it like RAM and just load what you need when you need it, or you will still wind up spending an unacceptable amount of time waiting. What you can do, though, is start streaming a particular piece of content much closer to the time you need it (even just a couple of frames ahead of time), and discard from memory anything you won't need for the next few frames. Practical implications include:
  • Less speculation about what assets you'll need. The chances of guessing right when you have to start loading a second or two ahead of time aren't great, so you can wind up loading things you never use. That means that in practice the 100x increase in bandwidth gets further boosted by being right more often about what you need and wasting less bandwidth.
  • Less memory wasted on speculative assets. Another side effect of increasing the certainty that you've loaded just what you need is that it occupies less memory than if you loaded a ton of assets just in case but never wound up using them at all.
  • Loading assets on demand. If some rare event occurs you can probably get away with loading audio or visual assets in response to the event, which would be impractical if you have to start loading them much earlier. This could lead to more situation specific commentary lines in sports titles, death animations in a wide range of titles, or far more variations on a musical theme that kick in just when they're appropriate.

Back