Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Listen to this with headphones. A taste of what will be possible with Tempest engine!:

I'm not an audio fan and probably I'm missing something, but I clearly remember this kind of demo running on my glorious creative 128.
There's nothing new about binaural audio and you don't need any Tempest engines for it. It's supported (for realtime implementation) by variety of different audio platforms on PC, like TrueAudio Next, Steam Audio, VRWorks Audio etc, and there's nothing preventing from MS using it on Xbox too, if they want.
The only thing missing from the equation seems to be developers actually starting to use it properly.

There's nothing new about binaural audio and you don't need any Tempest engines for it. It's supported (for realtime implementation) by variety of different audio platforms on PC, like TrueAudio Next, Steam Audio, VRWorks Audio etc, and there's nothing preventing from MS using it on Xbox too, if they want.
The only thing missing from the equation seems to be developers actually starting to use it properly.
If I understand it correctly you pinpoint the source of your audio in the game and the Sony HRTF algorithms convert it automatically to a binaural like headphone sound. That will make devs embrace it as is an automatic process.

Another one and it exist elsewhere too and on PS4 too with the PSVR. There is just more power dedicated to this on PS5 compare to other consoles and the process don't need to prebaked 3d sound for audio engineer on Xbox, probably easier on production side.

Last edited:
If I understand it correctly you pinpoint the source of your audio in the game and the Sony HRTF algorithms convert it automatically to a binaural like headphone sound. That will make devs embrace it as is an automatic process.

That's how they all work.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/dtsx-what-it-how-can-you-get-it
Some competing 3P sound algorithms are Dolby Atmos and DTS: X

Both are now designed for gaming. I did prefer (after comparison) DTS:X vs Dolby Atmos at positional sound using their headset emulation technologies. I do find in general that I track my enemies using sound better than my buddies who use regular stereo. Though they should at least be using Windows Sonic. They both do above head tracking.. But below ground I don't think they solved as well.

Did an MS patent surface to give any insights into what their talking about in regards to xsx patented VRS?
As I understand it, its just their way of doing VRS.

All methods, AMD and Nvidia, are Tier 2 VRS. As is MS' method. But I believe they did it their way in particular to solve some additional use cases on Xbox.

As I understand it, its just their way of doing VRS.

All methods, AMD and Nvidia, are Tier 2 VRS. As is MS' method. But I believe they did it their way in particular to solve some additional use cases on Xbox.
Don't think they are all tier 2. Don't think Pre RDNA is anyway. Can't remember.

They would have no reason to patent it if it was just RDNA 2, so I'm expecting a change even if minor.
They don't say every aspect of DX is patented but they made a point of this. Wonder if there's something in the software stack they could patent but even then, it would just work same on pc and wouldn't call it patented?

Edit: sorry didn't realise was the PS thread, just replied to the DX VRS doc.

Last edited:
Don't think they are all tier 2. Don't think Pre RDNA is anyway. Can't remember.

They would have no reason to patent it if it was just RDNA 2, so I'm expecting a change even if minor.
They don't say every aspect of DX is patented but they made a point of this. Wonder if there's something in the software stack they could patent but even then, it would just work same on pc and wouldn't call it patented?
I mean Turning and RDNA 2 are all Tier 2. Sorry for the correction.
It is likely a customization to enable some use cases that you likely won't find on PC.

which one in the gaming space?.
Dolby Atmos, Windows Sonic HRTF, DTS HeadphonesX: 2.0

If you're running windows 10, you can compare all 3.
Go to the windows 10 store and look up Dolby Atmos and DTS Sound Unbound applications. You can listen to the headphones and see how well they track in your opinion. You can use Windows sonic HRTF for free by default.

As for Xbox, you can only use 2 of 3 for now, but DTS:X is coming to Xbox later this year.

https://www.gaminghelix.com/dolby-atmos-vs-dts-headphone-x-what-is-best-for-gaming/

Most games are emulated by the above codecs - it's a lot better than regular stereo, but still more to be desired. When a game is designed with that CODEC in mind the performance is greatly improved.

And older sound comparison between the three.

Last edited:
Dolby Atmos, Windows Sonic HRTF, DTS HeadphonesX: 2.0

If you're running windows 10, you can compare all 3.
Go to the windows 10 store and look up Dolby Atmos and DTS Sound Unbound applications. You can listen to the headphones and see how well they track in your opinion. You can use Windows sonic HRTF for free by default.

As for Xbox, you can only use 2 of 3 for now, but DTS:X is coming to Xbox later this year.

https://www.gaminghelix.com/dolby-atmos-vs-dts-headphone-x-what-is-best-for-gaming/

Most games are emulated by the above codecs - it's a lot better than regular stereo, but still more to be desired. When a game is designed with that CODEC in mind the performance is greatly improved.
And do you need some kind of sound card for it to work os is done in the cpu?.

Does it work with regular headphones and wothout an extenr

And do you need some kind of sound card for it to work os is done in the cpu?.
Yea just plug in your headphones into the controller or PC. If you run the youtube demo I put above it should be the same thing as if you paid for the codecs. You get to compare all 3. I like DTS;X the most. I found it cheaper than Dolby in terms of cost, but I got Dolby on Sale.

You don't need a sound card. All the processing is likely being done on the CPU. I had a sound card; bless my Audigy, but I lost it when I tossed it out to do coin mining! stupid!

It's nice we are getting back into dedicated hardware for 3D sound though. We had a wicked hey day way back when Aurreal and Creative and others were duking it out. So sad to see it all go. Nice to see the comeback, but the players are now these professional sound CODECs. Curious to see who else will want to enter this space.

Back