Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

1. Millions of people around the world, many of whom have lost their incomes because of the lockdowns, are now facing starvation as they are confined to their homes and have no more money for food.
I think your point is overall wrong; but I wanted to share that in situations even in poverty stricken areas or mass wealth inequality there are solutions if their government cares enough.

India is actually giving out meals to everyone in lockdown there. So countries that know this is an issue have solutions around it.
And they are securing their food sources for 800million.
https://www.pgurus.com/india-announ...-for-wheat-rs-3-kg-for-rice-for-three-months/

Last edited:
Coronavirus: London hospitals facing 'tsunami' of patients

Hospital bosses say trusts will be overwhelmed in a few days as staff sickness rates rise

London hospitals are facing a “continuous tsunami” of coronavirus patients and some are likely to be overwhelmed in a few days, according to Chris Hopson, the chief executive of NHS Providers – which represents hospital bosses.

Hopson said hospitals had expanded critical care capacity between five and sevenfold in the last weeks, but chief executives have been alarmed by the speed at which beds are filling up in the capital.

He said the problems had been exacerbated by medical staff off sick with suspected coronavirus or in vulnerable groups, with 30% to 50% not at work in some trusts.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, he said: “They are struggling with the explosion of demand in seriously ill patients. They are saying it’s the number arriving and the speed with which they are arriving and how ill they are. They talk about wave after wave after wave. The words that are used to me are that it’s a continuous tsunami. As one said to me, it’s much bigger and large numbers with a greater degree of stretch than you can ever have possibly imagined.

“The CEOs are concerned that all that extra capacity is now being used up very, very quickly. We’ve got the surge capacity at the ExCel centre but this is filling up very quickly.”

He said this was forming a “wicked combination” with the problem of up to 50% staff sickness rates in some trusts, which is “an unprecedented absence rate”.

Earlier, he tweeted that the surge in demand for coronavirus treatment was “off the scale” in London already and it was “evident that a number of hospitals are on a trajectory where their critical care capacity will become full within a few days”.

He added: “London CEOs saying they urgently want a lot more of everything – staff, ventilators, critical care capacity, PPE, testing capacity – but they recognise that their job is to do absolutely the best with what they have got and that’s what they are focused on.”

On Tuesday, a study by doctors warned that hospitals in England will run short of critical care beds for Covid-19 patients within the next two weeks if the numbers becoming severely ill reach those experienced in Italy.

A paper by a team at the University of Cambridge said that five of the seven NHS commissioning regions will have more patients needing critical care than the number of beds normally available in hospital intensive care units (ICUs) within a fortnight.

But Prof Neil Ferguson of Imperial College, who is advising the government, struck a more optimistic note on Thursday as he predicted the NHS will manage to get through the crisis without being totally overwhelmed.

“We are going to have a very difficult few weeks by we think overall with the capacity being rapidly put in place that whilst the health system will be stressed it won’t break,” he told the same programme.

Jonathan Ashworth, the shadow health secretary, said Labour was concerned that doctors and nurses were short of protective equipment, with some sourcing goggles and masks from DIY stores.

In a round of broadcast interviews, Edward Argar, the health minister, defended the government’s ability to protect NHS staff, insisting that “masses of supplies” were being distributed by the army around the clock.

He also said testing for NHS staff was coming on stream in the weeks to come, following criticism that the government has been slow to ramp it up from around 6,000 a day up to a target of 25,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...g-tsunami-of-coronavirus-patients-overwhelmed

Washington (CNN) The Trump administration is appealing to countries around the world to give or sell the US items as basic as hand sanitizer and as complex as respirators to combat the surging coronavirus pandemic.

In a list obtained by CNN, the State Department lays out 25 items, telling diplomats to ask their host countries for these supplies with a clear priority on items available "today" and a secondary focus on equipment and items available in weeks.
The list spans the gamut of equipment that overburdened American hospitals are seeking. The simpler items include biohazard bags, N-95 masks, gloves, gowns, surgical caps, shoe covers, sharps containers, protective eyewear, hand sanitizer and Tyvek suits.

The more complex items on the list include metered dose inhalers, ventilators, elastomeric respirators and powered air purifying respirators.
Senior Trump trade official Peter Navarro told The New York Times that the administration was even reaching out to China, which administration officials have repeatedly blamed for not communicating clearly enough about the disease.

WRT trumps latest ratings
, 49% of Americans approve of the job he does, while only 45% disapprove. The data is for the week 13-22 March and on par with the highest ratings he ever got in Gallup surveys.
Specific to the virus crisis, 60% say he's doing a good job versus 38% disapproving of the man at the helm.
:confused:
Sure you will have his hardcore of supporters that will say hes good a good job no matter what, but theres also a large percent of ppl in the USA who think hes doing a good job. WTF do they think this, is news reporting in the USA so terrible?

OK these guys are not fans of trump, but whats presented here is pretty close to reality
https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/coronavirus-is-it-too-much-to-ask-for-an-actual-plan/

I suppose the argument is Germany was counting everyone with even the mildest symptoms, whereas these people are missed elsewhere, and if the UK had the same level of testing, there'd be 30,000 cases here with 5,000 recovered, 465 deaths. But the early tracking was robust in terms of following those who were symptomatic and those they contacted. Potentially some young people got it from a skiing trip (I know a 16 year old who was off on skiing completions every month) and spread it unknowingly among young people with none of them being symptomatic.

:???:
In Germany you cannot be tested just for fun. You have to have symptoms and your doctor decides, if you need to be tested. No tests without a doctor's referral. The criteria for testing are: You have typical symptoms and you were in the "high risk areas" (changed yesterday) or you had contact with someone, who is tested positive (Angela Merkel e.g; IIRC now you have to have symptoms, too), or you have symptoms, which cannot be explained with the "normal" cold, flu or pneumonia.

I guess moderation doesn't like contrary opinions and delete posts because of that, using ridiculous reasons as excuse.
Many of my posts went unreplied in the past, but I've never seen people who didn't reply to one of my posts have their future posts selectively deleted because of that.
I guess some people are less worried about starvation and more worried about their Playstations and Xboxes arriving on time.
Nazi moderation is now free to delete this post and my account.

The Czech Republic went from zero mask usage to 100% in 10 days, and in the process they halted the growth of new covid-19 cases. (march 25)
sheesh jeremyhoward, when you make claims like this you should actually check the data
a9a24d25022e41a09c7a720e1ce62722bcd71ccf.png

Im not saying that wearing a mask doesnt help mind
though per head of population they seem to be doing worse than Slovakia

Here in spain I would say ~75% of ppl outside were masks

I guess moderation doesn't like contrary opinions and delete posts because of that, using ridiculous reasons as excuse.
Many of my posts went unreplied in the past, but I've never seen people who didn't reply to one of my posts have their future posts selectively deleted because of that.
I guess some people are less worried about starvation and more worried about their Playstations and Xboxes arriving on time.
I didn't do anything to any of your posts, just as a disclaimer, but from what I've seen of your posts in RPSC I could understand some mod getting fed up with them. You're offering up your opinions as facts without any supporting evidence or arguments.

Now nothing wrong with having an opinion. I might not like or agree with yours, but I'll respect your right to have them. You are NOT allowed to have your own facts, if your present an argument as factual they WILL make you back it up here. (Believe me! They burn me to the ground when I used to do it too, it's how I got better. They made me become better. :love: )

I don't mean any of this condescendingly or nasty, just some friendly constructive criticism I hope you will at least consider. Thank you for your time and attention, and I'm sorry if you're disappointed with the quality of discussion here. You're free to participate or not as you choose.

As for deleted posts, I haven't heard or noticed any...but I haven't been watching too closely. If you could point some stuff out to me I would be appreciative, feel free to PM me about it.

I'm not a mod, but I saw your post. It was just link spam with no context or content.

Try posting a story with a link and commenting on it. And try to keep the links short in length don't just paste a 300 character URL.

It's been explained why. There's no censorship here. There's moderation trying to maintain the discussion. the means making sure people discuss instead of post points.

If you were serious about this topic, you'd
1) Post your response to the counterarguments made about Covid19 not being any more serious than other disease
2) Follow up with concerns about fallout damage such as starvation, including your linked evidence

That's perfectly acceptable. I said in my message about the removal, deal with a debate point first before posting a different angle. I'm not going to let this discussion get polluted with fuzzy thinking though; the subject is too serious. And that means everyone involved needs to be willing to question their understanding as things unfold. Failing to respond means stubbornly holding a belief because it suits your preferences, which is no use in this discussion (though more tolerated elsewhere in the board where discussion isn't important).

As for deleted posts, I haven't heard or noticed any...but I haven't been watching too closely. If you could point some stuff out to me I would be appreciative, feel free to PM me about it.
It was a lot of links about the threat of starvation as a result of lock-down. There's nothing wrong with that. However, rcf previously posted that he didn't see why Covid19 was different to other diseases like seasonal flu and didn't understand why it warranted such a response. I replied with the maths about the impact of exponential growth. Either my post was right, and rcf should acknowledge that he was wrong and covid19 is different (but that still might mean lockdown is not the best action if people starve etc.), or my post was wrong and rcf should present a counter-point explaining why. He's done neither and just changed subject.

That's the sort of behaviour of flat-earthers. I don't mind someone not understanding how the world can be round, but if when presented with a good explanation how we know, they ignore the arguments and carry on with theories or odd experiments why the Earth must be flat, then there's no debate there and no movement towards consensus. Only this is a lot more serious than whether the Earth is flat or round. If the world shouldn't be in lockdown, we need to know so we can lift it. If it should be, we need to know so we can commit to it. We can't have some people ignoring the reality based on their own preferred beliefs in this case. If lockdown is essential, we can't have some people off partying because they personally don't think it is. If rcf is serious, he'll challenge his current understanding and either change it in light of reason, or present solid arguments why he's right and others are wrong with a view to changing their opinions so lockdown can be lifted for the good of all.

Until he starts engaging in proper logical discussion, I won't allow new points to be presented from him. Once he's addressed outstanding arguments, I'll allow new ones. Exactly as I explained in my message when I removed his post. And as I explained here. There's no official reprimand here. It's just rules of engagement that any sensible person will be happy to accept.

Ohio's numbers today, confirmed: 867 (up from 704), Hospitalized: 223 (up from 182), and 15 Deaths (up from 10).
Confirmed Cuyahoga County: 247 (Up from 206)

Deaths by County: Columbiana 1, Cuyahoga 2, Erie 1, Franklin 2, Gallia 1, Lucas 2, Mahoning 1, Miami 2, Stark 2, Trumbull 1,

They seemed to have dropped the County by County breakdown on the top level, but included it in their Dashboard that does not like Edge browser at all.

High level for Ohio: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/home
County by County break-out: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/home/dashboard

Ohio's still doing F-For-All in regards to genuine testing.

The scary part of the Ohio numbers is if you look at the Death cases, some counties have that as their only listed confirmed cases.

I'm not a mod, but I saw your post. It was just link spam with no context or content.
Try posting a story with a link and commenting on it. And try to keep the links short in length don't just paste a 300 character URL.
I did edit my post shortly after and added some commentary right below the supplied links, explaining that lots of people in the world (like in the US, Britain, India, Nigeria, New Zealand, etc) are starving already since they live from hand to mouth and have lost their incomes, but the post still got deleted. One reply to my post also got deleted.
People are starting to revolt around here (and I guess in many other places as well). I guess they prefer to risk a coronavirus infection that may or may not kill them than to certainly die of starvation.

More suggestions asymptomatic carriers are numerous.
https://www.dw.com/en/up-to-30-of-coronavirus-cases-asymptomatic/a-52900988

Thing is, this should show up in the testing so far done, unless patients aren't being tracked through to disease end. Take Canada's numbers above. 3,555 tested positive from 160,000 tests. That many tests would definitely catch a proportion who are in the incubation period. Do they track how the disease develops? The past month should see hundreds of samples in each nation of how the disease progressed.

It seems S. Korea is managing through containment, just by having a large enough testing capacity and having enough data that people can see if they may be infected. That's something severely lacking everywhere else. I only know there's a number of confirmed cases locally. I don't know whether they are enough to me to matter or not. With that level of info, you can keep people working between the gaps in the infections (which are still a tiny minority of people). But this only exists because of MERS in 2015 and lessons learned. I guess the rest of the world will do the same in future.

People are starting to revolt around here (and I guess in many other places as well). I guess they prefer to risk a coronavirus infection that may or may not kill them than to certainly die of starvation.
No. You've had it explained, at length, but instead of changing to fit the conversation, you throw a childish hissy-fit and cry foul. The discussion of the fallout of lock-down is very important. Anyone else posting links to concerns of starvation at this point won't have their post removed, but will be expected to talk about it properly. However, you need to prove you're actually willing and capable of real discussion by actually engaging in the discussion about whether Covid19 is more dangerous in terms of deaths from disease than other diseases or not. Fairly to engage as such suggests little more than an agenda you want to push.

Back