Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

So they basically chose this quality of a game so they would be able to check box the 4k 120fps exclusive game for marketing purposes?
That barely pushes the console. The latest Ori game is far more impressive and that would one would have been more interesting to showcase at 4k and 120fps.

Edit: Oh they will reveal a different game. My bad :)
Wonder what that would be
I think I’m just happy to see that developers want to go to 120. I want to see more titles like that. Like Apex Legends should be a 120 title with XSX

So they basically chose this quality of a game so they would be able to check box the 4k 120fps exclusive game for marketing purposes?
That barely pushes the console. The latest Ori game is far more impressive and that would one would have been more interesting to showcase at 4k and 120fps.

Edit: Oh they will reveal a different game. My bad :)
Wonder what that would be

I know you've realised they'll reveal a different game, but even if it's of the quality of Pirates of First Star, I don't think that's such a bad thing.

There weren't many games on the PS3 that ran at 1080p, and the ones that did were generally indie games with less complex graphics. But I had a lot of fun with plenty of them, and sometimes simple is perfect: Uncharted 3 fidelity graphics would have been wasted on PAIN, and tonally inconsistent.

I know you've realised they'll reveal a different game, but even if it's of the quality of Pirates of First Star, I don't think that's such a bad thing.

There weren't many games on the PS3 that ran at 1080p, and the ones that did were generally indie games with less complex graphics. But I had a lot of fun with plenty of them, and sometimes simple is perfect: Uncharted 3 fidelity graphics would have been wasted on PAIN, and tonally inconsistent.
Well I dont think the 1080p resolution contributed to the fan factor ;) They were pretty nice games as they were. I find it amusing though when a Marketing department of companies highlight for marketing purposes numbers to create the "appropriate" impressions. It is one story to have a 4k 120fps game with high fidelity and another small game with XBOXish graphics. They tell a completely different story. Its good though that the company uses the performance for framerates and resolution than let it go wasted of course.

I think I’m just happy to see that developers want to go to 120. I want to see more titles like that. Like Apex Legends should be a 120 title with XSX
Apex Legends et al at 120 Hz with 3D audio will be next-gen games even if the graphics remain the same! Far better playing experiences then current gen could ever offer. AL's audio is good for planar location (in front, to side, behind) but you can't tell which side of a mountain it's from, or if it's originating in a tunnel, or just outside the tunnel, or if those footsteps are above you or below you. Next-gen audio will make that far more important, and add a layer of gameplay in terms of sounds. Standing still and listening to your opponent will give a significant tactical advantage.

Apex Legends et al at 120 Hz with 3D audio will be next-gen games even if the graphics remain the same! Far better playing experiences then current gen could ever offer. AL's audio is good for planar location (in front, to side, behind) but you can't tell which side of a mountain it's from, or if it's originating in a tunnel, or just outside the tunnel, or if those footsteps are above you or below you. Next-gen audio will make that far more important, and add a layer of gameplay in terms of sounds. Standing still and listening to your opponent will give a significant tactical advantage.
Yea better audio is always going to be big for this game. We are so reliant on it because people make so much noise. Though I run DTS:X and even with standard DTS it does an decent job at doing elevation though it could be better than it is with proper implementation as opposed to DTS:X having to emulate it.

What about folks without a 120hz display? At least with 4K, it’s downsampled for 1080p folks.

What about folks without a 120hz display? At least with 4K, it’s downsampled for 1080p folks.

IIRC market penetration for 4K TVs were projected to be 35% in the US last year and 25% in the EU. And i would bet the majority of those TVs are not HDMI 2.1 compatible. I think 120 fps should be an option available like the "performance modes" we have on the current Pro consoles but putting dev time towards a feature that 99% of consumers wont be able to enjoy seems strange.

Apex runs at 60 fps on 4K using a 2080 TI and 9900K

I mean what happens to the signal? :p I presume they'll offer a setting, but it's otherwise a ton of power wasted if a huge chunk of users can't even display it. It's perhaps a bit different than decoupled physics etc. when internally running things at a different tic rate (e.g. Forza's 360Hz physics or whatever it is these days, which is more useful for its own gameplay when moving at high speeds so per gameworld unit distance it ought to run higher).

edit:
That said, I expect a number of titles to try to hit 120fps for eSports reasons - it'd make the console particularly useful as a relatively inexpensive & easy-to-setup device for events.

I mean what happens to the signal? :p It's a ton of power wasted if a huge chunk of users can't even display it. It's perhaps a bit different than decoupled physics etc. when internally running things at a different tic rate (e.g. Forza's 360Hz physics or whatever it is these days, which is more useful for its own gameplay when moving at high speeds so per gameworld unit distance it ought to run higher).
It will just run at 60. It frame rate exceeds refresh rate then it just has no hiccups and no tears (usually)

IIRC market penetration for 4K TVs were projected to be 35% in the US last year and 25% in the EU. And i would bet the majority of those TVs are not HDMI 2.1 compatible. I think 120 fps should be an option available like the "performance modes" we have on the current Pro consoles but putting dev time towards a feature that 99% of consumers wont be able to enjoy seems strange.

Apex runs at 60 fps on 4K using a 2080 TI and 9900K
On ultra mode. Can easily down sample some items and crank it up.

I have never understood this position. I can see how 60 fps, or even higher, would be of great use for VR (obvious reasons) or racing, flight sim, etc. Perhaps in a twitchy PvP FPS. Maybe I am just used to 30fps, but I have never felt poorly served by this playing games like HZD or RDR2 at 30 fps. Does a higher frame rate much matter for these games or am I seriously missing something? (I cannot fathom how it would make any difference to an Anno, Total War or Xcom game.)

I have never understood this position. I can see how 60 fps, or even higher, would be of great use for VR (obvious reasons) or racing, flight sim, etc. Perhaps in a twitchy PvP FPS. Maybe I am just used to 30fps, but I have never felt poorly served by this playing games like HZD or RDR2 at 30 fps. Does a higher frame rate much matter for these games or am I seriously missing something? (I cannot fathom how it would make any difference to an Anno, Total War or Xcom game.)
Yea definitely helps. North of 120 the returns are diminished, the human body cannot react that fast. But in any title that requires tracking and reaction time, the frame rate is another edge.

for slower paced games it’s about visual clarity, timing etc. You still get all the same advantages, but the games are easier so it’s not as important. But I could see people wanting higher frames with dark souls type games

Higher framerate just feels better, especially for the UI or camera movements while not everyone has an engine with low latency @ 30fps either - Bungie is one of the few.

I plan to get the new TCL-6 this summer when it comes out. Maybe that and the new console(s) or my pc will make it apparent.

Back