Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

Would be nice if they did some performance comparisons to estimate the native rendering resolution at various DSR factors. I don't think Nvidia has published scaling factors for each DLSS quality level.
it used to be pretty universally 1440p from 4K in 1.0. BUt according to wolfenstein, it is 1080p, 1296p, and 1440p for 2.0.

Would be nice if they did some performance comparisons to estimate the native rendering resolution at various DSR factors. I don't think Nvidia has published scaling factors for each DLSS quality level.

With DLSS 2.0 using it with 4K and performance preset the native resolution is 1080p:
Customizable Options - DLSS 2.0 offers users 3 image quality modes - Quality, Balanced, Performance - that control the game’s internal rendering resolution, with Performance mode enabling up to 4X super resolution (i.e. 1080p → 4K). This means more user choice, and even bigger performance boosts.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvidia-dlss-2-0-a-big-leap-in-ai-rendering/

Dont know if performance is always "4X super resolution".

There will be a patch this week, I guess it will release with the expansion on the 26th.
Thanks. It seems the patch is now available for download.

CONTROL March Update available for download, adds DLSS 2.0 support

CONTROL March 2020 Update Release Notes
NEW ADDITIONS

Improved the readability of the map
Added button toggle options for Launch and Aim
Revised the ability tree
Added the option to redistribute previously spent Ability Points. From now on, players can spend Essence at Control Points to get their spent Ability Points back and assign them to different ability upgrades
Also adds the Shield Rush ability upgrade to the Shield ability
Added the functionality to zoom in on collectable documents for improved readability
DLSS 2.0 support (PC)
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/cont...nload-adds-dlss-2-0-support-full-patch-notes/

it used to be pretty universally 1440p from 4K in 1.0. BUt according to wolfenstein, it is 1080p, 1296p, and 1440p for 2.0.

Cool, the question is whether those same ratios hold at DSR factors too.

On a 1080p monitor with DSR 4x and DLSS 2.0 performance does it render at 1080p, upscale to 4K using DLSS and then downsample to 1080p?

Cool, the question is whether those same ratios hold at DSR factors too.

On a 1080p monitor with DSR 4x and DLSS 2.0 performance does it render at 1080p, upscale to 4K using DLSS and then downsample to 1080p?
DSR renders at higher resolution and downsamples. I'm not sure when the driver is downsampling though, is it some sort of post-process? Not sure which would be applied first (DSR or DLSS)

Just don't go comparing the shots they posted and instead look at the originals.
I've only looked one so far (the last pair, receptionist or something) and at least in that particular one there's obvious ringing artifacts and some really odd ones, like the row of darker dots in one of the hinges and high contrast "raster dots" on the posters alarm clock, or the incomprehensible "rules" text in one of the posters

I'm not sure why they come to that conclusion. Looking at the first couple of their screenshots in 4k, the native is much better.

I'm not sure why they come to that conclusion. Looking at the first couple of their screenshots in 4k, the native is much better.
Are you sure you didn't misread the labels? The placement of the labels between shots makes it harder to determine whether the label is referring to the shot above or below it. For every pair, the top shot seems to be with DLSS on and the bottom one DLSS off (native). For the first pair:
DLSS: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/wp-co...Control-Screenshot-2020.03.25-19.28.04.46.png
Native: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/wp-co...Control-Screenshot-2020.03.25-19.28.28.30.png

New I'm not sure why they come to that conclusion. Looking at the first couple of their screenshots in 4k, the native is much better.
Are we seeing the same thing? first pictures are DLSS on, and those are the better ones, the softer ones are DLSS Off/native. Far away text is very slightly distorted with DLSS on of course, but the overall sharpness of the image speaks for itself.

That's not saying much, if you train it on super-sampled frames with a bit of sharpening the NN will sharpen. Or maybe they just add a bit too much LOD bias for my taste?

Or maybe it's the game ... it's possible that because of non-linear colour operations super-sampled frames actually make the textures look aliased. Can't blame DLSS for that. Comparisons should add super-sampled/DSR frames as a groundtruth for comparison.

Last edited:
I've only looked one so far (the last pair, receptionist or something) and at least in that particular one there's obvious ringing artifacts and some really odd ones, like the row of darker dots in one of the hinges and high contrast "raster dots" on the posters alarm clock, or the incomprehensible "rules" text in one of the posters
Again, are you looking at the right labels? I have seen the originals of the ones you mentioned, the DLSS picture is definitely sharper and more defined than the native one.

Back