nVidia Shield

NVIDIA Shield Experience Upgrade 7.0 Inbound (Android 8.0 Oreo)
Nvidia Shield updates are the gift that keeps on giving. Your SHIELD TV is about to get a big upgrade!

Shield experience Upgrade 7.0 has started to roll out to users today, bringing a brand new home screen based on Android 8.0 Oreo.
All your entertainment is now in one place with Android 8.0 Oreo. Live TV, video-on-demand, streaming media, and games - it’s all there and it’s easily customizable.

1. Your Favorite Apps: You choose the apps and the order! Hold the Select button on an app to move it. To access all your apps, hold the Home button or select the red Apps icon.
  2. Play Next: Continue where you left off in TV shows, movies, and games. To add content to Play Next, navigate to the content and hold the Select button. Note: Not all apps support Play Next.
  3. Channels: Discover new entertainment from your favorite apps. You choose the channels and the order. Navigate left on a channel to move or remove it. Note: Not all apps support Channels.

Additional Enhancements & Improvements:

• Grow your media library on PLEX without worrying about SHIELD’s internal storage space. Your server’s app data (metadata, background art, and more) can now be moved to USB storage devices. From the PLEX app, go to Settings > Plex Media Server > Storage Location.
  • Improved support for game controllers:
  • Customize SHIELD controller thumbstick dead zones (Settings-> Apps-> Input viewer)
  • Xbox 360 and DualShock 4 v2 controllers
  • DualShock 4 controllers using USB wireless adapter
  • Resolves pairing issues with Xbox One controllers after system restart
  • Quick access to Settings when you’re on the home screen by holding the Back button
  • The latest monthly Android security updates
  • Support for high polling rate gaming mice for NVIDIA GameStream
  • Ability to connect to Wi-Fi without disconnecting Ethernet (Settings-> Network-> Ethernet)
  • Option to re-pair disconnected Bluetooth accessories (Settings-> Accessories)
  • Option to keep SHIELD awake when switching TV input (Settings-> Display & sound-> Power control)
  • Option to disable input switch to SHIELD when activating a SHIELD accessory (Settings-> Display & sound-> Power control)
  • Resolves issue where captive portal had difficulty connecting over SSL enabled web portals
  • Adds additional IR codes for Coocaa, LeTV, and Xiaomi living room products
  • Correctly removes app OBB files from adopted storage when apps are uninstalled
  • Fixes issue during IR setup where some LG TVs are not identified correctly
  • Adds warning for slow storage devices when trying to adopt storage
  • Resolves instances of temporary missing audio immediately after wake or extended idle periods
  • Improves RS (right stick) mouse compatibility with sideloaded apps
  • Optimizes internal drive after SHIELD Upgrades to improve performance (SHIELD TV Pro only)
  • General stability fixes on SHIELD remote (2017) and SHIELD controller (2017)
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-shield-experience-upgrade-7-inbound-(android-8-oreo).html

Did they ever hit with a "Switch" rom for the Shield?

New Did they ever hit with a "Switch" rom for the Shield?
If you're talking about the Shield running Switch titles then it's not possible. The Switch has 4GB LPDDR4 whereas the Shield only has 3GB.

So the Android TV update for HDHomerun DVR came out last week and tested it tonight. I can now reliably watch protected content channels for the first time in years.

Now with Kodi, HDHomerun, YouTube and Spotify all working really well, especially with Spotify device connect, I think I'm ready to ditch my HTPCs and buy another Shield. They just keep getting better.

Do you have the HDHR recording on the Shield or running the recording on a NAS and just streaming to the Shield?

Do you have the HDHR recording on the Shield or running the recording on a NAS and just streaming to the Shield?
It's all configured to record to the NAS. There's next to zero capacity on the Shield or HTPCs for recordings and with the NAS I can playback the recordings on any device. Note that protected content recording is not yet available, only streaming.

That's unfortunate that it still doesn't do DRM-Protected recordings. I'm sure they'll get it working eventually.

Testing the Shield as replacement for my main HTPC on the full home entertainment setup. Complete success so far with all codecs working perfectly, DD/DDex/DTS/DTS-MA/TrueHD with full 7.1 support on pass-through.

There's been rumors going around of a new Shield and I've held off buying another one for this. Nice to see a new model and remote to replace my main entertainment Shield.
If you waited until this far, why not wait for STBs with HDMI 2.1 capabilities?

If you waited until this far, why not wait for STBs with HDMI 2.1 capabilities?
I haven't waiting that long, it's only this year that I've needed to add another Shield to my house. I don't have any equipment that would take advantage of HDMI 2, let alone 2.1 and don't plan on upgrading anything for another few years. Also there's also nothing around that comes close to a Shield for functionality so some other STB with 2.1 would be a huge step backwards in capabilities for no gain. I'm fine spending $200 for the next 2-3 years of use.

NVIDIA Shield Android TV 2019 review
March 20, 2020
That said, I do prefer the 2019 model as it's a notch faster, gets slightly more GPU performance and offers a new AI Enhancing/Upscaling feature that actually does its job well. The previous models offer proper good quality, however, compared to native content playback on say Samsung's Tizen media app / UPnP playback over a NAS or something, it lacked a certain amount of detail.

The AI optimization solves that for the bigger part. That's purely output quality I am talking about, as on all other fronts the TV Shield, of course, is much better and faster at it. That also means that all Smart TV functionality can be replaced by the shield TV with proper compatibility. I mean even in the year 2020 how many TV's really can handle with features like HD audio / Dolby Atmos / DTS:X / DTS HD and everything you can come up with? That among other things, is the power of this android TV device.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-shield-android-tv-2019-review,1.html

Do they sell this thing outside the US?
- If you mean the normal shield then definitely yes. I'm in London and have about 4 of them bought from amazon and another couple I sent to my dad. Tried various other Android boxes but this one is just so much better supported and seems to work with everything.

they've had a few versions with extra storage which some people like, and theres the new 'tube' version that i'm not as keen on :)

they've had a few versions with extra storage which some people like, and theres the new 'tube' version that i'm not as keen on :)
Well the new tube version is the "normal" version now :) In addition to the regular shape with the larger capacity. When buying one now, you definitely don't want any of the old versions.

Why not? The older versions are almost the same as the new one. The SoC is slightly better but that's about it. The tube version also has less ram than the old model I believe. Doubt most people will notice any difference. The remote on the new model is better though. Physical buttons FTW...

Otherwise great boxes. Have been using one for media playback for years. Though to be honest, if all you do is playing media a firestick 4k might be almost as good. I think that has less supposed for HD audio but otherwise it's pretty solid and a lot cheaper than the shield tv. Got one in the bedroom and it's fine. Android TV looks better though.

The only downside of the shield is it doesn't support wireless rumble on anything but the shield controller, which is rather crap. Never used mine but when I wanted to try it out, the thumbstick had ridiculous drift which apparently is a rather common issue.

NVIDIA Launches new V8.2 OTA update for Shield TV and adds better AI upscaling and more
August 27, 2020
Software Experience Upgrade 8.2 will be a software update for any Shield device, including the original 2015 model. First off, the AI upscaler only is available in the 2019 models.
The new upgrade adds more UHD 4K upscaling support from 360p to 1440p content. On the 2019 SHIELD TV Pro models they've added support for 60fps content. SHIELD can upscale live sports on HD TV and HD video from YouTube to 4K with AI.The customizable menu button on the new SHIELD remote is another popular addition to the family. It’s getting two more actions to customize.
The latest software upgrade also improves IR and CEC volume control support.These upgrades include support for digital projectors, and allowing functionality when SHIELD isn’t active. It also adds IR volume control when using the SHIELD TV app, and when you’ve paired your Google Home with SHIELD. The 2019 SHIELD remote adds IR control to change the input source on TVs, AVRs and soundbars. Additionally, earlier SHIELD generations — both 2015 and 2017 models — now have an option to match the frame rate of displayed content. NVIDIA also added native SMBv3 support as well, providing faster and more secure connections between PC and SHIELD. SMBv3 now works without requiring a PLEX media server.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-launches-new-v8-2-ota-update-for-shield-tv-and-adds-better-ai-upscaling-and-more.html

Back