Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

To me it is rather obvious, that they've done the upclock already, before reveal, with a sole puropse to "killshot" 10tf Sony machine. 12tf is more than anyone expected within sensible budget.

I don't think MS did much of an upclock. High end (2080Ti) is at 13.5TF for a 2018 product. 12TF is the least i 'want', because the generation is going to be another 7+ years. The faster CPU, higher BW where already in place, as was the bigger SSD drive. The SSD speed of xsx, according to rumors will be rather competitive.

I know this has been brought up before, but was there any actual thoughts on if the 4FP and 8FP RPM be a good fit for AI upscaling?

Would be interesting if MS made it available to Xbox api, so xsx could render at 1440p and AI upscale to 4K. That would be a lotta TF for that resolution. Not sure how it behaves with RT, but in the vid they show control so maybe not too badly? Maybe run games at 1440p120
this would be the greatest revolution for consoles, now that they are capable enough, especially for raytracing, but I am not seeing it on the new console hardware. The leap is tremendous

They also work with INT8 and INT4.
My mistake.
XSX actually supports INT4 and INT8.

DLSS 2.0 works on all RTX cards and now can scale from 1080p to 4K.

Obviously MS has been doing some research on AI upscaling as shown by their presentation on it. But I have no idea if this would be enough to support it or not.

My mistake.

Obviously MS has been doing some research on AI upscaling as shown by their presentation on it. But I have no idea if this would be enough to support it or not.
Well, given they made a note of mentioning hardware support for RPM FP16, INT8, and INT4, as well as its uses and applications, and also mentioning DirectML in their glossary, I believe they intend to use it.
There was an interview a while back where a member of MS GameStack said something about an MS game in development where they plan to ship with low rez textures because the ML texture upscaling was so good they don't need to ship with high rez texture. I personally think the dev in question is Ninja Theory. Awhile back they were hiring for position with experience in ML and inferencing.

My mistake.

As well Int8 is at 4x rate and Int4 is at 8x rate compared to FP32.

It's possible it may be investigated for ML upscaling in games, but for next gen games it's likely more efficient and better looking for developers to leverage some form of temporal reconstruction.

For BC titles MS has shown XBSX using an ML model to add convincing HDR to an original Xbox game. The ML model that they used was trained using Gears 5.

For BC using ML to upscale isn't necessary as MS has shown they can just directly increase the render resolution of BC titles.

Another potential use case for ML in XBSX that MS has talked about is upscaling and adding detail to low resolution textures. In effect another form of texture compression on top of the data decompression hardware in the storage subsystem. However, this would require training a ML model on a game by game basis.

I'm sure MS is likely looking at other ways they could potentially leverage ML on XBSX.

Regards,
SB

Well, given they made a note of mentioning hardware support for RPM FP16, INT8, and INT4, as well as its uses and applications, and also mentioning DirectML in their glossary, I believe they intend to use it.
There was an interview a while back where a member of MS GameStack said something about an MS game in development where they plan to ship with low rez textures because the ML texture upscaling was so good they don't need to ship with high rez texture. I personally think the dev in question is Ninja Theory. Awhile back they were hiring for position with experience in ML and inferencing.

Tiny textures use less ssd and memory bandwidth, secret sauce confirmed. ;)

Sounds really interesting but computationally expensive, could be good to make different forms of the same materiel for large open shots like Ninja Theory's xbox series x footage?

I like these bold ideas, so much potential development and innovation once devs get let loose with all these different tools.

Tiny textures use less ssd and memory bandwidth, secret sauce confirmed. ;)

Sounds really interesting but computationally expensive, could be good to make different forms of the same materiel for large open shots like Ninja Theory's xbox series x footage?

I like these bold ideas, so much potential development and innovation once devs get let loose with all these different tools.
Yes. I believe the Ninja Theory is using ML for HB2.

Tensor cores seems to be mainly FP16 input FP32 compute.

But whether that's the right fit for upscaling or just what it happens to have, no idea.

Temporal upscaling will definitely be a thing nezt gen, for me it's a no brainer, hence interest in other things that's not a given and if the hardware can support it.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/02/03/...elopment/view-all/?utm_campaign=belowfeatured
Gwertzman: You were talking about machine learning and content generation. I think that’s going to be interesting. One of the studios inside Microsoft has been experimenting with using ML models for asset generation. It’s working scarily well. To the point where we’re looking at shipping really low-res textures and having ML models uprez the textures in real time. You can’t tell the difference between the hand-authored high-res texture and the machine-scaled-up low-res texture, to the point that you may as well ship the low-res texture and let the machine do it.
Got bit more on ML and asset sizes etc also

I wonder how many resources you must distract to upscale a texture, and what is the latency between the request and the gpu really being able to use it.

I wonder how many resources you must distract to upscale a texture, and what is the latency between the request and the gpu really being able to use it.
I would assume that, if its used in a title, the cost/benefit analysis must favor its application as opposed to not using it and its probably performant to be used in real time.

They invest a lot in R&D in this sort of stuff, like their audio engine.
Then they can license it out, probably for free.
Oh and they have something called azure you use to do the ML on, or compute heavy tasks.

The ML up texture sounds like it's already being developed as part of a title.
Like audio was in gears of War.

They invest a lot in R&D in this sort of stuff, like their audio engine.
Then they can license it out, probably for free.
Oh and they have something called azure you use to do the ML on, or compute heavy tasks.

The ML up texture sounds like it's already being developed as part of a title.
Like audio was in gears of War.
Yeah. As I said, I believe Ninja Theory are probably the ones using it for HB2. The interviews say it's very good for realistic and natural textures as opposed to fantasy art and NT was hiring for a developer with experience in ML. The HB2 trailer has shots with natural landscape and textures.

Last edited:
Probably that might explain the 8K printed on the processor on the XSX?
Maybe the BC will be supported by the machine learning to go beyond 4k (360 games?) and the XSX games will use this to reach 4k?
This is a game changer if it is in XSX and no PS5 for MS.
They have the extra performance and the technology to make it even more efficient.
We need more info soon

Back