General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

I think that this time we will have a very soft launch due to coronavirus stopping development.
Probably some upgraded current gen with pc texture pack, some work from home indie game, and then the real stuff at the end of the 2021H1.
At this state probably what's not ready for show now, will not be ready for E3 timeframe.
That would be depressing, the Coronavirus is seriously killing everything. Though I feel like MS might be more ready in that regard, they've already shown Halo numerous times as well as the HellBlade II trailer, bet they'll something next gen to show for sure around E3.

I know that we should not put fanboy shit here, but this really made me chuckle and wanted to share, remember sound so you hear what the SSD does behind the rock:LOL: (Mods, feel free to wipe it away)

Maybe those sorts of things need a thread of there own?
Made me laugh.
Look what I've been missing out on :runaway:
Closest I get is Florida man thread.

So when would Sony show us the games? Around E3 when MS show theirs? I know the virus is getting in the way of things a bit but wouldn't hurt if they tease us a few seconds of them in the next SOP right?
At least enough time for them to build up hype for pre-orders for launch.

Curious to see how this launch gen will play out with COVID. Will they prioritize delivery supply chains or standard brick and mortar

At least enough time for them to build up hype for pre-orders for launch.

Curious to see how this launch gen will play out with COVID. Will they prioritize delivery supply chains or standard brick and mortar
But how do they build up hype without showing the games?

So when would Sony show us the games? Around E3 when MS show theirs? I know the virus is getting in the way of things a bit but wouldn't hurt if they tease us a few seconds of them in the next SOP right?

Sony can show us their games when they like and, of course, they are ready to demo off. For third party games that's really down to the publishers and developers. But they'll pick their time and that time is not when this news would be completely drowned out by more serious issues.

Last week Apple released new iPads and a new MacBook Air; their best selling and most popular laptop now featuring a non-shitty keyboard! :runaway: Media response: tumbleweed. Any tech press releases now is going to make zero impact.

By starting the hype and showing games when preorders become available. "everyone" is going to tune in when sony shows the games first time. Not having preorders available at that time would be a giant missed opportunity.

I suspect sony and ms are still trying to figure out optimal pricing and to some extent they are playing a game of chicken too.

Curious to see how this launch gen will play out with COVID.

Seriously, what a company you are if you prioritize a gaming product over people's lives. True or not, the image wouldnt do a company much good.
When this virus thing slows down MS and Sony probably show some amazing graphics/games.

You don't need to build up hype over time. It's not like building a house that takes time no matter what. Marketing requires people to know about your product and want it. You can slowly build up hype over time, drips here and there over a year, or you can bombshell a whole load of mind-blowing materials just before launch.

Let's imagine Sony had 10 hours of next-gen gameplay that all is amazing and will wow gamers. How will it be better (resulting in more sales) to show that 10 hours of footage spread over a year versus in the last month before release?

The world's just on pause at the moment. It won't impact anything in terms of products still to come. The moment we're over Covid19, everything will pick up where it left off. It's not like because of months sat indoors, gamers are going to forget what a PlayStation is and what their hobby is without constant reminders.

Conspiracy Theory:

Shaun Layden wanted a cheaper 399 ps5 for mass market appeal. Internally factions within Sony did not like that and wanted a more high end console. When Xbox details started emerging Sony went into panic mode and also blamed Shaun and fired him 1.5years before launching. What sony initially had was a 36CU RDNA 1 system aimed at an early launch of feb 2020, early leaks reveal this. They switched over to RDNA 2 36CUs because of RT and this has caused some problems for them, namely BC. It's too late to reengineer the SoC so now they have to make due with what they have, up the clocks, faster SSD, anything to rival the new Xbox.

Don’t thinkso, they wanted a ’cheaper’/399 price range console like the ps4 for the whole time. They might have upped the clocks to get to 10TF, but not maybe not for the xsx as it doesnt match it anyways. With this boost, they can write 10tf on the specs. If they wanted to match xsx they would have redesigned the whole thing to have a more powerfull gpu, faster cpu, more bandwith, bigger drive and things like vrs/ml etc.

Don’t thinkso, they wanted a ’cheaper’/399 price range console like the ps4 for the whole time. They might have upped the clocks to get to 10TF, but not maybe not for the xsx as it doesnt match it anyways. With this boost, they can write 10tf on the specs. If they wanted to match xsx they would have redesigned the whole thing to have a more powerfull gpu, faster cpu, more bandwith, bigger drive and things like vrs/ml etc.

Pretty sure VRS is standard to all RDNA2.0 GPUs.

Pretty sure VRS is standard to all RDNA2.0 GPUs.

BTW, I see a lot of talk about ML but I haven't seen any rumor about AMD incorporating ML optimized cores in RDNA 2.0, like the tensor cores NVIDIA has added to their RTX line. Are we to infer that if you want to do machine learning with the next gen consoles you are going to have to allocate some stream processors for this task?

BTW, I see a lot of talk about ML but I haven't seen any rumor about AMD incorporating ML optimized cores in RDNA 2.0, like the tensor cores NVIDIA has added to their RTX line. Are we to infer that if you want to do machine learning with the next gen consoles you are going to have to allocate some stream processors for this task?
yes.
Typically Tensor Cores main function is to work with Deep Learning Algos. I don't know of many use cases for Tensor silicon outside of deep learning, but I could be wrong.
Anyway, yes, Deep Learning algos tend to be some of our best performing ones; they have solved graphics fairly well and debately natural language processing.
But we won't necessarily use our deep learning everywhere. When concerning other algorithms we'll just use typical CPU or GPU processors. We can also run deep learning on standard processors.

The most important aspect is separating training (which hardware is super important because training time can be a super long time depending on how big your corpus is) and just running a trained model.

Wasn't the INT8 and INt4 stuff from SeriesX targetting this? But wouldn't all ML be done offline and then you apply their findings at runtime?

Wasn't the INT8 and INt4 stuff from SeriesX targetting this? But wouldn't all ML be done offline and then you apply their findings at runtime?
it could be helpful for more than just ML reasons.
That being said:
Turing GPUs include a new version of the Tensor Core design that has been enhanced for inferencing. Turing Tensor Cores add new INT8 and INT4 precision modes for inferencing workloads that can tolerate quantization and don’t require FP16 precision.

I think they also have a integer fast path that can run concurrently with their FP calculations. Which saves them cycles for that type of thing.

If RDNA has these, that would be a nice bonus.

Yeap, as I understand it tensor cores are less precise CUDA cores but that are good enough for some ML operations. So you can off load some tasks there and not waste CUDA cores.

This is a bit similar to the FP16 PS4pro situation.

Edit: @BRiT and yes, NVIDIA for DLSS creates the profiles for each game that are later incorporated into their drivers. Then the tensor cores just execute the results.

Back