Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

The market will be flooded with nvme pcie4 drives by november.

The biggest problem I have is my ps4 collection, but it will be on an external enclosure until I find a deal on a suitable 2TB or 4TB nvme.

this really doing my head in, on my phone I can’t see the 2nd video, says I need to log into g suite which I do but it still doesn’t work. Anyone able to provide a standard YouTube link or advise how I can watch any of the videos that people keep posting!!

Try opening the link in chrome private window instead of youtube.

If on Android, install youtube Vanced apk from xda

I said on a couple of the other forums, Sony would have done well to offer both a first and third party solution.

I understand a lot of people have an aversion to proprietary solutions due to overpricing and arbitrary proprietary interfaces in the past (Vita, I'm looking at you) but at least it would guarantee a solution on day one, and for those less technically versed it would keep it really simple: they can simply walk into a game store or go on the gaming section of a website and buy a "ps5 drive". At the risk of sounding patronising, never underestimate the ability for the average consumer to mess something up.

And for those of us who want a third party option we can use a certified drive (preferably they'll curate a list and have a PS5 certified logo on the packaging). Perhaps rather than having multiple bays or naked drives, they could provide a little enclosure with the PS5 that's effectively identical to the first party option. It could include some basic thermal dissipation and allow for a more durable plug & play means of connection.

Whichever way you look at it, MS' approach is simple, elegant and likely much more durable. It's great for Sony to allow a third party option, but having proprietary solution as a baseline removes a lot of variables that could put a spanner in the works.

Sony are going to need overhead, the ability to arbitrate parts of the pipeline, depending on whether or not they support different form factors they may either limit potential drives or have to engineer a solution to fit all. If a drive needs some means of cooling they may have to run airflow through the drive bay or have some adjustable means of making thermal contact with the chips. And as alluded to above, drives may not be available at launch or may be thin on the ground if they can't bring all this together in time and verify enough drives.

So yeah, to summarise I think the best solution would be a single cartridge interface, a first party cartridge with an appropriately specced drive in and with every console, provide a cartridge enclosure that takes any certified third party drive, preferably of various sizes.

Even as an out and out PlayStationer who has little interest in Xbox, this is one thing that always gets me with Sony. They rely a little too much on third parties for peripheral hardware/software functionality, I appreciate that they may want to maintain good third party relations and not step on their toes, but providing standards and quality to your customers is more important.

One prime example is controllers. The Official Elite controllers for Xbox are wonderful and Sony would do great to offer such a premium option. But they relegate such things to third parties; and frankly, the quality is just not there.

Maybe they'll do what they did for PS4.

Currently Seagate have usb external hdd branded as game drive or ps drive or something. Currently it's just useless marketing trick tho, as the hdd performance is the same as their own backup plus slim lines.

So maybe they will do the same with PS5. Seagate game drive m2 ssd. Sure will work for PS5.

Hmm, maybe there will be some certification logo that manufacturers can acquire and display on packaging to indicate that it met Sony's validation. Of course if it's like "Made for iPhone" certified peripherals, that mean much more pricey stuff.

A bit of self regulation would hopefully be fine. I.e. if you selling a SSD that you've tested and know works in PS5, you can stick a logo on. If somebody buys it for PS5 and it doesn't work, well you have to refund and overhead costs.

The biggest problem I have is my ps4 collection, but it will be on an external enclosure until I find a deal on a suitable 2TB or 4TB nvme.
This is one thing I’m curious about - what’s the limit for how much PS4 games can benefit from lower loading times? From what I’ve seen of internal SSD benchmarks on PS4, they don’t even saturate the SATA bus of the Pro.

Isn't that because the base PS4 is just SATAII, and Pro SATAIIÌ? games probably are optimized for the base units SATAII bus then.

If you dont need the speed for PS4 titles, you can use old usb HDDs.

That is my plan, just move games that I want to play from PRO to usb disc that I already use and stick that to PS5 (or reinstall them, if direct transfer doesnt work)

As they said, HDD works for ps4 titles. Maybe they load much faster from SSD but I'm sure that it's not that big of a deal for ps4 titles that it would be worth of (to me) to buy 100-200€ usb SSD drive.

SATA SSD with USB 3 dongle works well for this.

Maybe they'll do what they did for PS4.

Currently Seagate have usb external hdd branded as game drive or ps drive or something. Currently it's just useless marketing trick tho, as the hdd performance is the same as their own backup plus slim lines.

So maybe they will do the same with PS5. Seagate game drive m2 ssd. Sure will work for PS5.
Hah yeah I remember the bestbuy wall of seagate hdds back in 2013, there was a black preformatted for PC, gray for mac, a blue for playstation, a green for xbox, and they were all the same except for being preformatted with crapware on them for pc/mac.

... and the xbox and ps drives were $110 instead of $100. The software they preload for pc/mac is so bad they consider it's worth minus 10? Or there's $10 worth of a super rare blue or green dye?

Last edited:
Is Cerny designing a game to show of PS5 capabilities? I assume that is what he wanted to do with Knack for PS4.
Would be interesting to see what he wanted to emphasise on in a game.

the PS5 hardware seems very great...except for that bandwidth...if they can just get up to high 400's that would be fine. But to have the same amount of resources as the equivalent RDNA 1 GPU split between the CPU and GPU both with 448...it feels artificially limiting in the same way Pro's bandwidth was

I've said so before, but i really hope there is a way for them to upclock that ram before launch. IIRC MS did it with XB1 before launch IIRC...or was that the GPU?

Last edited:
the PS5 hardware seems very great...except for that bandwidth...if they can just get up to high 400's that would be fine. But to have the same amount of resources as the equivalent RDNA 1 GPU split between the CPU and GPU both with 448...it feels artificially limiting in the same way Pro's bandwidth was

I've said so before, but i really hope there is a way for them to upclock that ram before launch. IIRC MS did it with XB1 before launch IIRC...or was that the GPU?
Yeah it was a 53mhz boost to the GPU, but by extension the ESRAM memory bandwidth got a boost from ~102GB/s to ~109GB/s.

http://theorangeduck.com/page/subspace-neural-physics-fast-data-driven-interactive-simulation

This is an Ubi Soft R&D. Here soft body and cloth physics animation and interaction with object manipulate in realtime. Compared to something like Alembic Animation it takye much less memory and it is interactive. The blue object are manipulate by the guy.

This the type of things data driven baked data keeping interactivity and why the SSD will be very interesting much further than Geometry, texture, motion matching animation, sound.

You can do the same things but for other part of the rendering where certain level of quality is unreachable in real-time(fluid, hair simulation, volumetric smoke...) if this is not too heavy on memory and SSD bandwidth because with complexity of the data the size increase.

This is a visual game changer.

Last edited:
That and add some gpu and cpu power while their on it.

For a while now i have not expected Sony to break the bank on components. And regarding the github leaks, i was expecting the final PS5 to have a GPU with around 8 tflops (since i didnt think they would go crazy with high clocks/robust cooling in the end) at 1.75ghz with a 3.0ghz CPU clock...i clearly underestimated both consoles ambitions.

I am happy with what the PS5 is offering since i expected any jump by default to be 'next gen' worthy, just based on the architectural and technological advancements that have been made since the launch of PS4 through Zen and what was always going to be Navi's goal.

I just want them to balance the system appropriately to maximize its potential, and the bandwidth bottleneck is a clear fault area that carried over from their previous hardware in the Pro i was hoping they would fix for years.

The GPU disparity in the Pro and X was not responsible for much of the differential between the two systems, but the fact that Pro was always bandwidth starved...in my opinion...affected the results moreso.

Back