General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

More on dues ex, DF compared the PC and the PS2 versions. The PS2 version released awhile after the PC version. levels where compromised but also objects where altered etc.

PS5 SSD May Not Necessarily Translate into Much Quicker Loading Times, Says Remedy Technical Director

https://wccftech.com/ps5-ssd-may-no...nical-director/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

If games would stay the same in terms of scope and visual quality it’d make loading times be almost unnoticeable and restarting a level could be almost instant [in PS5 games].

However, since more data can be now used there can also be cases where production
might be cheaper and faster when not optimising content, which will lead into having to load much more data, leading back into a situation where you have about the same loading times as today.

That makes no sense. You can’t load more than 16 GB into RAM no matter how badly it’s optimized.

I'm really surprised that people still say things like that and believe it. Make Spider Man with gourard shaded low poly count models and you could do it on the NSW with everything you think the next gen will bring to games.
Spider-Man was awesome on the PS2. For PS2 era games.

Let's just agree to disagree, I'm seeing lots of devs super saying they are super stoked for SSDs in nextgen consoles. I've seen nobody talk about graphics other than the expected interest in the new RT hardware.

That makes no sense. You can’t load more than 16 GB into RAM no matter how badly it’s optimized.

Off course you can... that’s why bandwidth increased. You cannot have l more that 16 AT A UNIQUE TIME FRAME, but having larger bandwidth you can replace it more often each second, requiring a faster loading system to keep up.

Off course you can... that’s why bandwidth increased. You cannot have l more that 16 AT A UNIQUE TIME FRAME, but having larger bandwidth you can replace it more often each second, requiring a faster loading system to keep up.

He is commentating about the guy saying loads will take longer and in that case his right, you can't load more than 16GB if that's the total RAM.

Thats still 16GB :yes: But yes thats a great thing. Swapping data fast will definitely give more variety than just 16GB of "static" data. Still, we cant expect 16GB of unique data every second. And it doesnt have to be.
What is nice about this is that it brings back memories of the PS2 VRAM and its high bandwidth. Everyone was lamenting how small that VRAM was (4MB?) and thus low texture quality was expected. But the bandwidth was quite high and could fetch and swap off screen textures with on screen textures (which I think were residing in the main memory?) which meant it didnt have to load all textures in the VRAM. We got higher quality when optimized than if we had traditional use of 4MB of VRAM.
This is like the next gen evolution (or revolution) of that old idea

Everyone was lamenting how small that VRAM was (4MB?) and thus low texture quality was expected.

Textures where never one of the ps2s strong points, they had to trick and work around things to get closer to what xbox/gcn did. The lack of any texture compression didnt help it either.
You can always recognize a ps2 game by looking at its textures.
The ps2 needed its high bw, multipass for just anout anything. Ps2 had the weakest and most quircky hw of 6th gen, but was a huge success by a large ratio diff compared to the competition. Something like that wouldnt work today :p

Textures where never one of the ps2s strong points, they had to trick and work around things to get closer to what xbox/gcn did. The lack of any texture compression didnt help it either.
You can always recognize a ps2 game by looking at its textures.
The ps2 needed its high bw, multipass for just anout anything. Ps2 had the weakest and most quircky hw of 6th gen, but was a huge success by a large ratio diff compared to the competition. Something like that wouldnt work today :p
I never said the PS2 had superb textures. The point is that the idea is there and the texture swapping helped it.
The PS2 benefited by releasing earlier, and letting the hype and brand awareness do its magic. After that it had all the support with a lot of third party exclusives of the best franchises to make the other two options irrelevant.
All the franchises that made the PS1 a success where carried over to the PS2 with almost exclusive support.

So when would Sony show us the games? Around E3 when MS show theirs? I know the virus is getting in the way of things a bit but wouldn't hurt if they tease us a few seconds of them in the next SOP right?

I think that this time we will have a very soft launch due to coronavirus stopping development.
Probably some upgraded current gen with pc texture pack, some work from home indie game, and then the real stuff at the end of the 2021H1.
At this state probably what's not ready for show now, will not be ready for E3 timeframe.

Back