Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about systems that will not be able to use the potential of a SSD like earlier generation Xbox since they have their smart delivery system that guarantee that new games shall work on them also?

The versions for those systems wouldn't work as well or would be cut down significantly.

next gen megaton rainfall please

dbjg5kf-6b1167b3-d540-49ea-8e12-ac6628e6ec5b.gif

You don't have to keep a business afloat. Do you care when development studio shuts down because the numbers don't work out?

It was a joke. I now its early times and we do not know much about next generation hardware and game development for these yet.
I understand that for all this specialized SSD and I/O hardware to be fully utilized, you need to radically change game
design? If so, my concern is that over the years when developers make cross platform games they can't design the games with this fast SSD I/O system in mind. I doubt that they will make several versions of the same game, but do some optimization for each platform. I really do not like that new generation multi platform games might not fully realize potential of new generation consoles because of this. At least I think we will over the years see the full potential on PS5 first party games since they will not need to be playable on PS4 and further back.
I would very much appreciate to be convinced otherwise because I am a big fan of some multiplayer 3rd party game franchises and I want them to be so good they can be. Sorry for the bit of rant, I think I might have cabin fever like i think it was what @BRiT said.:confused:

It was a joke. I now its early times and we do not know much about next generation hardware and game development for these yet.
I understand that for all this specialized SSD and I/O hardware to be fully utilized, you need to radically change game
design? If so, my concern is that over the years when developers make cross platform games they can't design the games with this fast SSD I/O system in mind. I doubt that they will make several versions of the same game, but do some optimization for each platform. I really do not like that new generation multi platform games might not fully realize potential of new generation consoles because of this. At least I think we will over the years see the full potential on PS5 first party games since they will not need to be playable on PS4 and further back.
I would very much appreciate to be convinced otherwise because I am a big fan of some multiplayer 3rd party game franchises and I want them to be so good they can be. Sorry for the bit of rant, I think I might have cabin fever like i think it was what @BRiT said.:confused:
I don’t know if it’s radically change, rather forget the old shackles. As an example - if I drive to the shops I need to consider my route, the traffic, lights, danger spots, junctions that are a PITA to pull out of...but imagine if I could get to the shops without those restrictions? Even if it was just that there were no other cars, lights or pedestrians.

Also, I should imagine 3rd party games might benefit from faster loading, less pop-in or other side effects of just having that faster drive. Eventually PCs will have similar speed drives so more 3rd parties may begin to utilise it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back