Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong have kept things in check with contact tracing.
They started with very low numbers unlike China, who started with thousands official (true numbers prolly closer to 100k based on UK figures)

Rand Paul (must be named after ayn) has tested positive even though he had no reason to get tested even when here is a huge backlog of ppl needing to be tested in the USA. Well at least you can say hes practicing what he preaches, (some ppl are more deserving of things as they are just superior )

Good to see NZ is finally going into lockdown, much too late though of course. My dad was in hospital with pneumonia last year, so I rate his chances about 50% being alive in 6 months. Hopefully my parents finally understand they shouldnt leave the house for the next few months. At least their house section is large unlike me copped up in this 50m2 apartment here

Trying to automatically collects covid19 data from each province, each city... In my country...

Turns out they didn't provide any public api for the data. I probably can make something to crawl the web page, but some website give covid19 info as a JPG FILE (e.g. The national health département) Ughrh...

Once they started taking the virus seriously, the Chinese put over 1,800 5-man teams into the country to contact trace those infected. Wanna bet that the whole of the Western world combined has put far fewer than 9,000 people to do the same task? I think, (from what I've read), that only Germany has really been putting a lot of resources into contact tracing and, so far, they've done a good job of keeping their fatality rate down (though it may just be that the figures look to be in their favour because they are testing those with only mild symptoms as well as the most serious).

Ultimately, I think it worth investing significant resources in contact tracing from here on in. Firstly, it will save lives. Secondly, it will provide vital information and experience for the all but inevitable outbreaks in the future. The cost of shutting down the world economy is so vast that it is worth spending a lot of money if you can lessen the shutdown by just a week or two.

I'm not specifically saying we should start contact tracing now the horse has bolted, but planning to enact this as the initial surge dies down seems a good idea as things dampen down.
The UK did this and kept cases to a minimum. However, it's impossible to contain Covid19 this way (the way other diseases can be contained) because of a-/quasi-symptomatic carriers who had no idea they had it. China and everywhere else still had to go into lockdown. Now they're fire-fighting, we know what to look for and how to aggressively quarantine contacts. Covid19 broke the rules which is why measures expected to have worked have failed.

Other news ... possible counter drug?
Professor Raoult - from infectious diseases institute l'Institut Hospitalo-Universitaire (IHU) Méditerranée Infection in Marseille (Bouches-du-Rhône, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur) - said that the infected patients he had treated with the drug chloroquine (under the name Plaquenil) had seen a rapid and effective speeding up of their healing process.

They also saw a sharp decrease in the amount of time they remained contagious, he said.
https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fre...otential-Covid-19-Plaquenil-anti-malaria-drug

Last edited:
They started with very low numbers unlike China, who started with thousands official (true numbers prolly closer to 100k based on UK figures)

I'm pretty sure everyone started out with small numbers. China hid the problem and lied about the severity so that is on them. Trump likewise pretended and lied. Hopefully we all learn something for next time.

New coronavirus stable for hours on surfaces
The virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is stable for several hours to days in aerosols and on surfaces, according to a new study from National Institutes of Health, CDC, UCLA and Princeton University scientists in The New England Journal of Medicine. The scientists found that severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) was detectable in aerosols for up to three hours, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel. The results provide key information about the stability of SARS-CoV-2, which causes COVID-19 disease, and suggests that people may acquire the virus through the air and after touching contaminated objects.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/new-coronavirus-stable-hours-surfaces

Interesting that my brother was telling me he has been using a type of copper spray solution (from a company in Mt. Laurel, NJ). But this study seems to indicate it might have some benefit until a better solution is discovered.

The study about stability of the virus on hard surfaces was out the other week. We've been treating the cardboard packaging accordingly here at our office. Open the packages, chuck them outside into the back yard, then wash our hands!

I also wipe down the packaging of groceries when I bring them home. Not sure if it will be enough, but it's something.

It was welcomed news to me. :D Wonder if brass door handles offer any protection since brass is mostly copper (+zinc), though don't think I'm likely to perform any tests.

Coronavirus: The Hammer and the Dance
What the Next 18 Months Can Look Like, if Leaders Buy Us Time

1*ok3NLISRGvK-4SQyDA5KTg.png

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Summary of the article: Strong coronavirus measures today should only last a few weeks, there shouldn’t be a big peak of infections afterwards, and it can all be done for a reasonable cost to society, saving millions of lives along the way. If we don’t take these measures, tens of millions will be infected, many will die, along with anybody else that requires intensive care, because the healthcare system will have collapsed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohio's numbers today, confirmed: 442 (up from 351), Cuyahoga County: 149 (up from 125), Hospitalized: 104 (up from 83), and 6 Deaths (up from 3) from Cuyahoga, Erie, Franklin, and Lucas County

No mention of dosage though. Zed's been eating the stuff for breakfast the past 50 years just fine. As does everyone who takes it for treating malaria, which is why it's on the World Health Organisation's list of Essential Medicine. The substance itself isn't poisonous the way this report sounds. Did they overdose, or was the supply fake?

No mention of dosage though. Zed's been eating the stuff for breakfast the past 50 years just fine. As does everyone who takes it for treating malaria, which is why it's on the World Health Organisation's list of Essential Medicine. The substance itself isn't poisonous the way this report sounds. Did they overdose, or was the supply fake?

Yes I go to Madagascar and you need to take it against malaria but this is not a candy...

Perhaps he was on another medication, perhaps he took too much, perhaps he had an allergic reaction.

I just saw a news report mentioning a small study. On 20 patients it improved symptoms in 6 (reduced the virus present in a nasal swab), 3 went to intensive care, 1 died.

PLEASE DO NOT TAKE PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR DOCTOR.

Actually anti-malaria drugs outside the USA can be bought OTC. Even though there are side effects the death must have been a overdose.

The US is sooo fucked. All they care about is money.

TRUMP: "We're going to be opening our country up for business because our was meant to be open and working with others ... we're gonna get it going again very soon. Hopefully very, very soon."

REPORTER: Dr. Birx, do you agree with the president's push to reopen the country?

BIRX: "What the president has asked it to do is assemble all the data and give us the best medical recommendation based on all the data."​

Trump on keeping economy closed: "That causes other problems, and maybe it causes much bigger problems than the problem we're talking about now." (Public health experts disagree.)​

Trump, when asked if Fauci agrees with reopening the country: "He doesn't not agree."

Back