General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

Hmm coming from Sony developer (worked at GG for KZ2).
How can he make this assumption that RT are the same on both machines ? Does he know how RT work on PS5 ? Do we even know how RT works on XSX GPU ? There is an API, yes, but what about the silicon ?

Seems very premature, like he had already made his definitive opinion on the matter because of 17% more TFLOPS. Didn't they make an article saying that Tflops didn't matter and there were others parameters when judging a GPU performance ?

I just realized how far we are from the early predictions:
8TF GCN, because 12TF would be too much power, navi is still going to be gcn
Jaguar on ps5 because of BC
Standard HDD because SSD cost too much
RTRT is a pipe dream

We're getting:
10TF/12TF RDNA2 which is 15TF/18TF equivalent GCN
3.5/3.6ghz zen2 8c/16t
Ludicrous speed SSD standard on both consoles
Crazy decompression engines
Crazy Audio processors
We have Ray Tracing hardware

I just realized how far we are from the early predictions:
8TF GCN, because 12TF would be too much power, navi is still going to be gcn
Jaguar on ps5 because of BC
Standard HDD because SSD cost too much
RTRT is a pipe dream

We're getting:
10TF/12TF RDNA2 which is 15TF/18TF equivalent GCN
3.5/3.6ghz zen2 8c/16t
Ludicrous speed SSD standard on both consoles
Crazy decompression engines
Crazy Audio processors
We have Ray Tracing hardware
Yea, HW is crazy good this time around. I wonder if there will be Pro versions down the line?

Feels like 2005 again, man that was the year :eek: "PS360 have 512MB of RAM, is PC gaming DEAD??"

Eh? MS have shown stock BC (State of Decay) and enhanced BC (Gears 5 and an old Xbox game with ML HDR) running on XBSX hardware. What they haven't shown yet is next gen games running on XBSX. I imagine they are saving those for around when E3 would normally happen.

Regards,
SB
Sony showed a janky spider man ssd demo. As you said, there are no next gen games and I thought that's what was being discussed.

Sony showed a janky spider man ssd demo. As you said, there are no next gen games and I thought that's what was being discussed.
What that showed was the early promise though.
PS5 will be able to play games that's not possible on PS4.
Where as Xbox has shown game that loaded quicker, and couple enhanced games.

I will say in general I think MS has done an overall better job though.
Main problem they could fall into, is that it's another mid gen upgrade type machine.

Will we get a ps4 super slim or a pro slim?

I think they might continue to sell quite a few ps4 if the price of nxt gen is 499.

Main problem they could fall into, is that it's another mid gen upgrade type machine.
What I meant by that was, the perception the xsx is super mid gen, faster game loading and same but prettier visuals.

Compared to Sony saying PS5 will be doing things that's just not possible on current gen.

Hmm coming from Sony developer (worked at GG for KZ2).

Hes a reliable developer, the dutch dont mess around :) And agree, thank god for Alex @Dictator and DF, they have been right so far, i trust them.
Also heard that the power diff is rather nice, when all things considered (GPU/CPU/RAM BW), and that the xsx ssd is quite competitive with PS5. No idea about audio chip. They are hardware based in both i think.

3.5/3.6ghz

Up to 3.8ghz even, close to 4000mhz!!

Sony showed a janky spider man ssd demo.

Current gen game :)

What I meant by that was, the perception the xsx is super mid gen, faster game loading and same but prettier visuals.

Compared to Sony saying PS5 will be doing things that's just not possible on current gen.
I'm sure they'll both have all sorts of marketing bs. And Sony will be beating the faster ssd horse, cuz that's what they've got.

The reality is the goals of both these machines is to push prettier pictures onto the screen faster than current gen. They both have more tools to do it.

The concept that you won't be able to make this game on the other box really is just crap. By and large the developers are clever and will do a good job of masking deficiencies in one box.

If 4.8GB/s isn't fast enough they will just use slightly lower quality assets and polish it up with better AA or something.

If 10.28 TF isn't fast enough to do 4k, they'll push out 1800p or something.

And the guys at digital foundry will spend hours spotting the missing pixels so forum warriors can brag to their friends that their $500 box of transistors is the bestest. At least until the next game.

If 4.8GB/s isn't fast enough they will just use slightly lower quality assets and polish it up with better AA or something.

If 10.28 TF isn't fast enough to do 4k, they'll push out 1800p or something.

What concessions will be made for the lower clocked cpu though?

What concessions will be made for the lower clocked cpu though?
Instead of the ai going through 128 steps it only goes through 96.

My simple examples are in no way meant to be representative of the entire toolbox of small things developers will be doing to achieve virtual parity without hamstringing the capabilities of one box

concept that you won't be able to make this game on the other box really is just crap. By and large the developers are clever and will do a good job of masking deficiencies in one box.
You're missing my point.
It's about perception and marketing.
It's MS that will be marketing and pushing loading times and prettier visuals. I.e. A mid gen.

Sony has left it open to talk about next gen exclusives. I never said exclusives that's not possible on the other platform. I said not possible on current gen. Which is exactly what they did, they talked about what's not possible due to the ssd.

MS talked about how the same games load faster and look better.

You're missing my point.
It's about perception and marketing.
It's MS that will be marketing and pushing loading times and prettier visuals. I.e. A mid gen.

Sony has left it open to talk about next gen exclusives. I never said exclusives that's not possible on the other platform. I said not possible on current gen. Which is exactly what they did, they talked about what's not possible due to the ssd.

MS talked about how the same games load faster and look better.

So your goal is to define what makes something 'next gen'?

100x = mid gen

200x = next gen

Edit: I think raytracing got a mention and a video in the MS deep dive.

How can he make this assumption that RT are the same on both machines ? Does he know how RT work on PS5 ? Do we even know how RT works on XSX GPU ? There is an API, yes, but what about the silicon ?

Seems very premature, like he had already made his definitive opinion on the matter because of 17% more TFLOPS. Didn't they make an article saying that Tflops didn't matter and there were others parameters when judging a GPU performance ?

A word of caution for him would be is to not confuse the APIs with the consoles hardware implementation. Inline ray tracing and mesh shaders are just APIs that don't actually describe how the hardware works in any precise detail. The patent describing the intersection engines and the NGG code in the drivers are a much more precise match for how the new systems actually work behind those APIs.

With ray tracing, AMD tracks the BVH traversal state in the shaders and it sends BVH specific instructions to the TMUs. The TMUs have a state machine to aid in the shaders traversal in the BVH tree and there's 'intrinsics' for ray-tri and ray-box intersection tests as the barebones. Neither new consoles also really have amplifications shaders as defined with mesh shaders in the D3D spec either unless they count an doing an indirect dispatch with a compute shader as being equivalent capability.

Inline ray tracing and mesh shaders are just magic black boxes that cover up the details.

So your goal is to define what makes something 'next gen'?

100x = mid gen

200x = next gen

Edit: I think raytracing got a mention and a video in the MS deep dive.
Sure I'll define next gen for the basis of my point if that will help.

Next gen - A game that doesn't run on current gen.
Cross gen - A game that runs on current and next gen. That includes enhanced titles.

The main reason for a title to be next gen only will be CPU and ssd. based.
Graphics will generally be scalable until engines that has no fallback to RT, so all the work flow etc is RT only.
Otherwise little reason not to support the current gen. Unlike previous gens you won't need to develop/port different engines.
Also reason for not supporting current gen would be that they say that it would compromise their artistic vision too much.

Just to be clear, don't know if it was this thread or another, but imo I think MS has done a better overall job with the reveal than Sony.

Back