Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely more creative options. Like being able to play through sequences in the middle of dialog etc.

Sort of like how in movies they skip to a flashback etc.

There are definitely more options available because of how quickly one could load a level.

but they should be able to do significant stuff with Xbox as well.
Not to begin with because everything on Xbox needs to be designed with a HDD limitation.

Speaking for myself, which should be implied but I m saying it anyways :). I know what 15% difference in flops gives and that doesn't excite me. The potential of what the faster storage brings is much more exciting to me so I can see why some devs are excited by it and not so much about an extra 2 TFlops.
As soon as Cerny first mentioned SSD and the speeds I was extremely excited by its possibilities vs just better graphics.

A doubt i have: Sony's magic is in its custom IO processor that can effectively move upto 22 GB/s uncompressed data from the SSD to main RAM and even accelerates moves from RAM to GPU cache.
If MS only has the decompressor what happen afterwards?. At which speed moves the data to main RAM?. wouldnt effective data move from SSD to RAM in a speed way smaller than the one given from the decompressor?.

A doubt i have: Sony's magic is in its custom IO processor that can effectively move upto 22 GB/s uncompressed data from the SSD to main RAM and even accelerates moves from RAM to GPU cache.
If MS only has the decompressor what happen afterwards?. At which speed moves the data to main RAM?. wouldnt effective data move from SSD to RAM in a speed way smaller than the one given from the decompressor?.
They both have hardware to decompress, that I'm fairly positive about. The 22 GB is ideal compression IIRC, someone can correct me.
I suspect the decompression accounted for in the metrics, that would be weird if you had this terrible bottleneck around decompression.

They said 6GB/s uncompressed max, but it's not clear what part of the pipeline this is.

The biggest question will be what lossy image compression Sony is using. I'm baffled by this omission in the presentation. Unless somehow I misunderstood kraken completely, it's just the lossless I/O read and it requires something else to decompress lossy formats.

I’m going to say it differently.....The difference in power between the ps5 and new Xbox is an original ps4, that’s It.

Both machines will throttle so it’s probably going to be the machine with the better cooling that will keep closer to their power rating for longer?

the new Xbox looks like it was designed for excellent cooling in mind.

the ps5 seems to be (or marketed to be) the better balanced machine.

For me sound lives in the midrange (as an example) and graphics lives in the textures ( l prefer bigger textures and slower frame rates to lesser textures and faster frame rates).

They both have hardware to decompress, that I'm fairly positive about. The 22 GB is ideal compression IIRC, someone can correct me.
I suspect the decompression accounted for in the metrics, that would be weird if you had this terrible bottleneck around decompression.
No, i am talking about what happens after decompression. PS5 can move 22 GB/s after because has a lot of custom blocks. And XSX without them ?.

They said 6GB/s uncompressed max, but it's not clear what part of the pipeline this is.

The biggest question will be what lossy image compression Sony is using. I'm baffled by this omission in the presentation. Unless somehow I misunderstood kraken completely, it's just the lossless I/O read and it requires something else to decompress lossy formats.
Is Kraken, the most used nowadays as Cerny said.

Hence my second sentence. Neither of them live in a realm without physics and decided to get creative about how to get more performance in a fixed power/thermal envelope.
No.
Two different modes of operation and neither throttle. The two modes run at different frequencies, saying throttle is misleading even if I understand what you're saying.

If there was one mode would you say its throttled?

No.
Two different modes of operation and neither throttle. The two modes run at different frequencies, saying throttle is misleading even if I understand what you're saying.

If there was one mode would you say its throttled?

Yes.. but one throttles and the other doesn't ;)

Which is why I said "limit" and not "throttle." Why is that hard to comprehend? The more important point is that they are both engaging in power limiting but are opportunistic about it to allow more performance with the understanding not all usage modes are equal.

Hence my second sentence. Neither of them live in a realm without physics and decided to get creative about how to get more performance in a fixed power/thermal envelope.
We don't yet know how Sony's solution will affect performance, but Microsofts fixed clocks exceed Sony's best case clocks, and I don't know if anyone here believes that the max clocks Sony has released will be achievable at the same time. If one console is going to throttle, it would be the PS5.

Honestly, the only thing that worries me about PS5 is the range of clock speeds. If it's a few hundred mhz, it's probably not a big deal. But one of my older computers was an AMD FX 6300 paired with an R9 390. And there were some games that were CPU limited, understandably, but that limitation would sometimes manifest itself in strange behavior regarding the GPU. There were a handful of games, mostly early access open world survival games (stuff like ARK), that would run at 45fps at 1080p, but reducing the resolution would increase performance in a pretty linear fashion, pointing to a GPU limitation. When I looked deeper I noticed that my GPU was only running at 300-400mhz during those games, when the game clock is supposed to be 1070mhz. Forcing the GPU to run at a fixed clock speed, even a lower than stock one like 900mhz allowed me to hit mostly 60fps in those games. I understand why this problem was happening, the CPU was holding back the GPU enough where the GPU was clocking down to what it considered the minimum value for maximum performance, but what was achieved was anything but.

So it looks like MS deleted the tweet about all games working with BC, and replaced it with this...
Correction: To date, we’ve spent over 100K hours testing your favorite games from Xbox One, including existing backward compatible 360 & OG Xbox games, on Xbox Series X. While we are still in the process of validating, we can confirm thousands of games will be playable at launch.

Sounds a lot more similar to Sony this time. They can't guarantee all games will work without testing them, and they must have found a few problematic titles. Maybe it's the same third party title with a nightmare multithreaded coded from a bankrupt company.

They should just say 99% or something.

So it looks like MS deleted the tweet about all games working with BC, and replaced it with this...

Sounds a lot more similar to Sony this time. They can't guatantee all games will work without testing them, and they must have found a few problematic titles. Maybe it's the same third party title with a nightmare multithreaded coded from a bankrupt company.

They should just say 99% or something.
I have more faith in MS in this regard in general given their track record, and the fact that SW can fix a lot of the issues. Sony's solution being HW based may come back to bite them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back