General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

MS didnt have a proper conference either, and barely showed anything in terms of games. They had good numbers and thus the confidence to announce them. That works when you are at the top of the numbers game. They didnt show anything special. They are also reserving it for the right time. Sony know they dont have the numbers but had to show something. Well now they did, and info is around the same levels of MS's, with lesser numbers but more technical explanation how it works and what they aimed for.
We cant blame Sony for not showing demos when MS havent either. If they came and said 15TF, 4GHz CPU and 2.5GHz GPU at all times people would have been talking how awesome Mark Cerny is and cant wait to see the games.
MS can sorta get away with it this time because their specs sheet is more straight to the point with bigger numbers thus people would feel more confident in them for delivering the experience they wanted. However since Sony's overall numbers are a bit lower albeit not by a big margin, not to mention those mystical capabilities of the much emphasized SSD, it would serve them more justice to actually SHOW than talk. This is why a SSD demo using Horizon II assets would go a long long way to raise the hype and give people better understanding of what's under the hood. But that's just me.

Mark Cerny is awesome and I can't wait to see the games!

The Console arrives in 8 Months and they have nothing to show, the Hardware must already ready at the final status because there is not enough Time anymore to change Things ,Chips etc drastically. But last Year we heard from a Journalist that he have seen a Techdemo or a Game in a early Development with lots of going on onto the Screen etc. but running only at 20-30 Frames/s on Ps5 Devkit , hard to believe that the final Game run flawless a 60fps.

I don't doubt it, would be best if they both take turns so that we'll have no shortage of those eye melting experiences.

They have no excuse not to with the hardware that's in them compared to the current gen. No-one can say (yet) that consoles are holding back the PC atleast.

But last Year we heard from a Journalist that he have seen a Techdemo or a Game in a early Development with lots of going on onto the Screen etc. but running only at 20-30 Frames/s on Ps5 Devkit

I wouldn't worry about that if i where you, with the hardware that we get i doubt you will be dissapointed either way. Some games might be 30fps if they go full balls to the wall graphics, some might be 60fps, have somewhat less good gfx but still look better then anything today.
On that, Doom Ethernal is one of, if not the best looking games out there right now, see the DF video on it. It runs at 60fps even on the base consoles.
If anything, it's not the hardwares fault if a game isnt performing well on those machines we get.

The Console arrives in 8 Months and they have nothing to show, the Hardware must already ready at the final status because there is not enough Time anymore to change Things ,Chips etc drastically. But last Year we heard from a Journalist that he have seen a Techdemo or a Game in a early Development with lots of going on onto the Screen etc. but running only at 20-30 Frames/s on Ps5 Devkit , hard to believe that the final Game run flawless a 60fps.

My post was a response to another post for fun, you maybe missed that. You think that they have nothing to show 8 months before release?. Of course they have. They have most likely been working on games for it for over a year already.

Exactly @ultragpu. They should have either canceled this GDC fake talk or showed games and features.

And I found Cerny talk very odd indeed. First he basically repeated the PS4 talk he had years ago, I mean, every developers know that story. Some kind of history lesson of his own PS4 presentation he had 7 years ago ? Weird. Then pre-emptive damage control with slides about a fast and narrow design better than a wide and slow design.

A good part of his presentation he was talking about his own past achievements or justifying his own present decisions. Instead of that he should have showed games, features and controller. In February 2013 they displayed all the important PS4 features, controller, cool demos and games. What were they thinking ? Good luck now to erase all that negative first impression.

Exactly @ultragpu. They should have either canceled this GDC fake talk or showed games and features.

And I found Cerny talk very odd indeed. First he basically repeated the PS4 talk he had years ago, I mean, every developers know that story. Some kind of history lesson of his own PS4 presentation he had 7 years ago ? Weird. Then pre-emptive damage control with slides about a fast and narrow design better than a wide and slow design.

A good part of his presentation he was talking about his own past achievements or justifying his own present decisions. Instead of that he should have showed games, features and controller. In February 2013 they displayed all the important PS4 features, controller, cool demos and games. What were they thinking ? Good luck now to erase all that negative first impression.

Regarding PS4 I did not react to that since PS4 is part of "the road to PS5", but certainly demos and games would be nice.

Good luck now to erase all that negative first impression.

Just show a game or two that atleast matches or surpasses hellblade 2 demo/cinematic, which shouldnt be a problem for studios like GG or insomniac etc. Then keep announcing new features that have been added to the OS (pause, resume), and avoid talking about hardware to the general public. Then around E3 show some enhanced PS4 games, like HZD and Death Stranding, these are going pc anyway where they are enhanced, show them on PS5 with HDR, higher framerates and whatever. Also during the summer, show parts of launch games, with ingame gameplay, and boast about features like RT reflections and whatnot, fast loading....

Atleast, thats what i would do if i where Sony. Maybe they are not ready yet, i dont remember how things went in early 2013.

Do we know that the hardware is not ready?

I hope Sony didnt "Saturn" theirselves

I'm not sure but didn't digital foundry or someone leak that Sony was ahead with there dev tools and what not?

No im not pro MS or pro Sony , Nintendo etc. but i have a bad feeling about the new Playstation. This has nothing to do with an Agenda .

Odd then that guy from Ready at Dawn rates the PS5 as one of the biggest revolutions in 20 years.

Just show a game or two that atleast matches or surpasses hellblade 2 demo/cinematic, which shouldnt be a problem for studios like GG or insomniac etc. Then keep announcing new features that have been added to the OS (pause, resume), and avoid talking about hardware to the general public. Then around E3 show some enhanced PS4 games, like HZD and Death Stranding, these are going pc anyway where they are enhanced, show them on PS5 with HDR, higher framerates and whatever. Also during the summer, show parts of launch games, with ingame gameplay, and boast about features like RT reflections and whatnot, fast loading....

Atleast, thats what i would do if i where Sony. Maybe they are not ready yet, i dont remember how things went in early 2013.
Lol, not another in-engine cutscene. MS showed gameplay: minecraft and Gears 5 running on XSX. Those did look very different than a cutscene, didn't they ?

But will Cerny pull a 8GB GDDR5 moment this time by getting 16Gbps GDDR6 for the final hardware?
One can only daydream.

Well, if the ssd speed + kraken compression pans out on something like super awesome horizon zero dawn sequel then it just might be that kind of moment. or MLB with insane zoom ins to player characters thanks to being able to fill ram on demand instead of caching for next 30seconds. Or gran turismo next with insane car models and textures thanks to very fast streaming and predictable nature of car games...

With Sony not having final hardware ready, no demos to show tells me that there's still working being done. It's very likely that at least first gen of multi platforms games will developed on the XSX and then ported to the PS5. With both being the similar underlying architectures it shouldn't be a x360 to PS3 like situation but it's reasonable to assume that XSX is the preferred dev platform at this stage.

Everything about the XSX platform seems "ready to go"
They haven't shown anything running on either console. Big difference MS has their take home dev it's to show while Sony has shown zilch.

Lol, not another in-engine cutscene. MS showed gameplay: minecraft and Gears 5 running on XSX. Those did look very different than a cutscene, didn't they ?

Yes agree, but just to show what to expect, i guess none studio is ready yet to show ingame gameplay. Minecraft and Gears 5 are BC games, which i think is a very good thing to show for a start. Offcourse we want real ingame gameplay, both MS and Sony havent done that yet, or not shown atleast :p

But will Cerny pull a 8GB GDDR5 moment this time by getting 16Gbps GDDR6 for the final hardware?
One can only daydream.

You never know, anything can happen. Maybe suprise us with more powerfull gpu and cpu clocks. I know dreaming but :p

@manux yes agree the SSD's are much talked about but neither has shown anything yet. Huge openworlds with no fog for draw distance with massive assets could be a show.

Yes agree, but just to show what to expect, i guess none studio is ready yet to show ingame gameplay. Minecraft and Gears 5 are BC games, which i think is a very good thing to show for a start. Offcourse we want real ingame gameplay, both MS and Sony havent done that yet, or not shown atleast :p

You never know, anything can happen. Maybe suprise us with more powerfull gpu and cpu clocks. I know dreaming but :p

@manux yes agree the SSD's are much talked about but neither has shown anything yet. Huge openworlds with no fog for draw distance with massive assets could be a show.

It's too early and wrong time to show games. It would be bad judgement/tone deaf to ignore coronavirus and try to hype games. Another thing is mass market who buys consoles will forget what is shown now come fall. Better to keep working on games and start the real hype closer to release when games also are closer to being finalized. Preferably start proper hyping same time as preorders open. i.e. here is your launch lineup, get if for 499$ and btw. pre-order today! Too early for that today.

I imagine it'll take time for games to transition from being based around 20 MB/s to over 2400 MB/s, let alone to over 9000 MB/s. That first step is the large one. When they do, oh my, what an improvement.

Everything about the XSX platform seems "ready to go"

With MS having final silicon, final specs, and final case design, I imagine that they'll be starting mass production soon if they haven't already started. Also, this would assume Covid-19 isn't holding things up, which it might be.

I'm not sure but didn't digital foundry or someone leak that Sony was ahead with there dev tools and what not?

Dev tools and dev kits don't require final silicon or final consumer case design. It's possible to be first with dev tools and dev kits but still last with getting back final silicon.

They haven't shown anything running on either console. Big difference MS has their take home dev it's to show while Sony has shown zilch.

Eh? MS have shown stock BC (State of Decay) and enhanced BC (Gears 5 and an old Xbox game with ML HDR) running on XBSX hardware. What they haven't shown yet is next gen games running on XBSX. I imagine they are saving those for around when E3 would normally happen.

Regards,
SB

Dev tools and dev kits don't require final silicon or final consumer case design. It's possible to be first with dev tools and dev kits but still last with getting back final silicon

That shouldn't effect the development side.

I'm sure the final design is done though otherwise Cerney wouldn't of teased the tear down.

? MS have shown stock BC (State of Decay) and enhanced BC (Gears 5 and an old Xbox game with ML HDR) running on XBSX hardware. What they haven't shown yet is next gen games running on XBSX. I imagine they are saving those for around when E3 would normally happen.
Their less likely to have anything next gen to show compared to Sony.
They'll only have enhanced current gen games.

Back