General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

Why? I imagine that as they continue to work on BC and get past compatibility issues, they will explore enhancements and follow the lead of MS.

It’s only natural. Each gen comes a whole new set of gamers. Selling them older enhanced titles will be an easier sale than selling new mid tier games.

They have tested about 100 PS4 games to just "work" after years of PS5 development and BC tests (github etc.). Don't expect miracles. BC is obviously not their priority.

I believe that number is the number of titles working in the PS5 'boost' mode, not the number of titles that work at the original performance, which should be pretty much all of them from day one.

Mark Cerny's actual words transcribed by me:

"Achieving this unification of functionality took years of efforts by AMD as any roadmap advancement creates a potential divergence in logic. Running PS4 and PS4 Pro titles at boosted frequencies has also added complexity; the boost is truly massive this time around and some game code just can't handle it. Testing has to be done on a title by title basis. Results are excellent though. We recently took a look at the top 100 PlayStation 4 titles as ranked by play time and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PlayStation 5."
That 'almost all' didn't actually come with a 'in boosted mode' qualifier. And the blog:

A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.
Again, it says 'playable' without 'in boost mode'. They then say they expect those games to play in boost mode. So, most games will run, and most will run in boost mode they hope. They can't say all because they can't prove that without testing all games. However, there may be some titles that fail at the standard BC as well as boosted mode.

With Sony not having final hardware ready, no demos to show tells me that there's still working being done. It's very likely that at least first gen of multi platforms games will developed on the XSX and then ported to the PS5. With both being the similar underlying architectures it shouldn't be a x360 to PS3 like situation but it's reasonable to assume that XSX is the preferred dev platform at this stage.

Everything about the XSX platform seems "ready to go"

dunno who has the best explanation of the specs, but it doesn't matter. Both the PS5 and XSX were shown at a bad date with all the things going on in the world right now, a lot of technical mumbo jumbo but boring presentations. I think with a console you have to sell the hardware with a tech explanation of course but also with something more, better marketing, fun ads, etc.

Also, how to forget the PNG image of 5 people looking at Mark Cerny doing the presentation, and the guy might be a genius, but man, is he boring.

Yes but there is a noticeable different between Sonys PR and Communication and Microsofts. Microsoft has real good Strategy there are from the Beginning more open to show us the their new Product, they pushing the Line , on the Xbox Website they have listet all the new cool Features that the new Xbox has look : https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/16/xbox-series-x-glossary/ They are are very proud to tell us about and Phil Spencer makes a confident impression without talking around or spinning around things like the arrogant Cerny.

Sonys PR was from the Beginning a Desaster , they were too long silent when at the same Time Microsoft startet a big Campaign , zero communication with the Public/Userbase , also bad Communication with third Party Devs about the Features of the PS5, how to program a Console with not stable / fixed Clock rates and so on. https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...devs_seem_disappointed_by_sonys_communication

Mark Cernys Presentation was full of confusion , Fud and he is lying too. He spinning around about Clockrates and try to tell us why they cannot reach the full Power of the Chips. Cerny says that he dont like fixed rates they become trouble to hold a fix Clockrate at 3 Ghz for the Cpu. What?? So why can run the Cpu in the new Xbox at 3,8Ghz(3,6 with Smt) permanently? And around 1,8 Ghz for the Gpu with 52 CUs is good balanced. So something is going wrong here, either the PS5 has a bad cooling System or the SOC has not the same working Headroom like the SOC in the Xbox. So to say a second Class Chip compare to Microsofts Version. They cannot run the Chip at full Clockrate for only 36 CUs because of a limited Powerbudget? So then Sony please invest more Money in a better Chip Design and build a stronger Power Adapter into or external for the PS5 for High Voltages. There is no law from the Governent that electronic Devices are limited at a 150-200 Watt Power usage . This is not a good way to sell a new Product to tell the People what can a Product not , or only what can a Product theoretical in a very confusion way , when in reality you have to lower the Performance. I want to buy a new Car and my Car Salers says to me " oh yes our new Car can reach theoretical 300 Horsepower but we capped at 200 to avoid overheating of the Engine". Then i go to another Car Saler/Company to find the right Car. Is this good for you Sony?

This whole Presentation feels like tech speak/excuse for why their system is weaker than Microsofts new Xbox. I got the impression that SONY isn't really happy with the PS5. Something seems off with Cernys foundation. Stable vs fluctuating Clockrate is a bad approach and is why they barely touched on the power of the Console. I had low expectations and I still got disappointed, especially after so much time of silence, I guess this explains why they're gonna slowly port their games to PC they probably don't think the PS5 is gonna be successful or the future for the company.You don't wait until shortly after specifications of your competitor are revealed and announce an event that ended up being a bunch of techno-speak nobody truly understood or releasing a specification sheet that pales in comparison to your aforementioned Competitor on basically all fronts, except for the SSD.

So i really dont understand why Sony is going the cheap Route again, they are "THE" market Leader of Videogames with a huge installbase/Userbase they have the Monopol and as a Monopolist i'm not under the pressure to sell my Product at a lower Price against my not succesful Competitor. No reveal of the system, no reveal of a game running, nothing. Literally zero, whereas your competitor has done all that so far on TOP of having superior performance by a non-small margin.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Sony not having final hardware ready, no demos to show tells me that there's still working being done. It's very likely that at least first gen of multi platforms games will developed on the XSX and then ported to the PS5. With both being the similar underlying architectures it shouldn't be a x360 to PS3 like situation but it's reasonable to assume that XSX is the preferred dev platform at this stage.

Do we know that the hardware is not ready?

I hope Sony didnt "Saturn" theirselves

Project Scorpio was revealed before PS4 Pro. I think its more logical that Sony plans to unveil the console in their own timeframe rather than to respond to Microsoft and internet outrage. And as far as i know they will be both launch in holiday 2020 no? The preferred dev platform will be the one with the bigger install base

No im not pro MS or pro Sony , Nintendo etc. but i have a bad feeling about the new Playstation. This has nothing to do with an Agenda .
The specs aren't that terrible, overall weaker? Maybe. Do I wish for a 12+TF PS5? Sure! But that doesn't change the likely prospect that their first party games are gonna set the benchmark for graphics again and again throughout first few years of next gen. Then when the mid gen refreshes come and assuming the Pro isn't gimped too much, the lead would continue till PS6 gen. I don't think we should have much to be worried about at this point.

I'm not sugarcoating their god awful conference tho, so much could've been done to convey their vision more clearly, such as some tech demos or better yet a sneak peak of some gameplay.

Mark Cerny's actual words transcribed by me:

"Achieving this unification of functionality took years of efforts by AMD as any roadmap advancement creates a potential divergence in logic. Running PS4 and PS4 Pro titles at boosted frequencies has also added complexity; the boost is truly massive this time around and some game code just can't handle it. Testing has to be done on a title by title basis. Results are excellent though. We recently took a look at the top 100 PlayStation 4 titles as ranked by play time and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PlayStation 5."
That 'almost all' didn't actually come with a 'in boosted mode' qualifier. And the blog:

A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.
Again, it says 'playable' without 'in boost mode'. They then say they expect those games to play in boost mode. So, most games will run, and most will run in boost mode they hope. They can't say all because they can't prove that without testing all games. However, there may be some titles that fail at the standard BC as well as boosted mode.

Thanks for the clarification it looks like I may have heard his words wrong. I hope the games I am yet to finish on the PS4 make it!.

The specs aren't that terrible, overall weaker? Maybe. Do I wish for a 12+TF PS5? Sure! But that doesn't change the likely prospect that their first party games are gonna set the benchmark for graphics again and again throughout first few years of next gen. Then when the mid gen refreshes come and assuming the Pro isn't gimped too much, the lead would continue till PS6 gen. I don't think we should have much to be worried about at this point.

I'm not sugarcoating their god awful conference tho, so much could've been done to convey their vision more clearly, such as some tech demos or better yet a sneak peak of some gameplay.
MS didnt have a proper conference either, and barely showed anything in terms of games. They had good numbers and thus the confidence to announce them. That works when you are at the top of the numbers game. They didnt show anything special. They are also reserving it for the right time. Sony know they dont have the numbers but had to show something. Well now they did, and info is around the same levels of MS's, with lesser numbers but more technical explanation how it works and what they aimed for.
We cant blame Sony for not showing demos when MS havent either. If they came and said 15TF, 4GHz CPU and 2.5GHz GPU at all times people would have been talking how awesome Mark Cerny is and cant wait to see the games.

Back