Which game would you recommend to start, to a person who never played a videogame? My choice is....

I've been thinking of games to introduce my 4 year-old to playing on a gamepad.

Something tells me RE2 Remake may not be the best choice.
perhaps Mario or a 2D platformer like mentioned before?

As for RE2, Claire makes up for the terror in the game. Other than that, I agree that controlling a game with the right stick to rotate the camera might not be well suited for a newbie, as I could see with my own eyes.

perhaps Mario or a 2D platformer like mentioned before?
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

After many failed attempts (she can't read so whenever a text explaining gameplay she gets lost), it seems she's getting it on with Rayman Legends on the Vita.
Though IIRC that game gets really hard at some point and she just has no hand coordination for gamepads, yet.

After many failed attempts (she can't read so whenever a text explaining gameplay she gets lost), it seems she's getting it on with Rayman Legends on the Vita.
Though IIRC that game gets really hard at some point and she just has no hand coordination for gamepads, yet.

Text? You mean all that giberish in ENGLISH that I and all my friends would hastily skip through to get on with playing when I was 5?

Last edited:

I'm not sure if it gets too hard in the main game. I seem to recall some bonus levels that were brutal.

At least it's not the original Rayman from the PS1. I played it when it came out, then again some ~15 years later. Fuck me, I've no idea how child-me did that for fun.

My personal contender is Gris. Incredibly easy, beautiful visuals, very well paced learning curve.

Took me 3 hours to beat the game and there was maybe 2 or 3 moments when I didn't know what to do. Looks like a good primer for platform games.

Well, looks like I'm not a lurker anymore. Thanks, coronavirus.

I'd have to go with just about any Sonic game, generally good for any beginner. Can accomplish a lot with limited controller skills and yet progress with a sense of speed. Pretty gender agmostic to boot.

Deus Ex 1, if you're 14++. Because if they won't play another one they have experienced something mind blowing. The game might teach some to expand their thinking. I couldn't name any other game which had such mental impact.

Back