Audio Connections on NextGen Consoles? *spawn*

yeah HDMI 2.1 splitter box should be good, otherwise bye-bye VRR, HFR, etc on XSX.
hopefully XSX and PS5 will still support legacy audio codec realtime encoding like DD and DTS (to be piped thru HDMI ARC), so even without optical port, old and current sound systems still can be used.

btw i use cheapo TCL TV (PS4 HDMI to TV optical to sound system) and i didn't notice any audio lag. But if i run audio mirror via PSVR, the lag is pretty noticeable. Forcing me to use Optical cable directly to PS4.

i use earphones and sound system because the subwoofer makes me "feel" the game more.

looking at ars comments, it seems even people with expensive TV like LG OLED TV still use surround sound system with optical audio. They probabaly have audiophile-grade surround sound system, as they able to afford expensive stuff like LG OLED TV.

Then why do they need optical out from the console?
AFAIK most TVs nowadays have optical out. All you have to do is connect the console to the TV through HDMI and then connect the TV to the sound system through optical.

I'm using just that in my family's country (or rather.. quarantine) home.
PS4 --[HDMI]--> TV --[optical]--> Sound System

And we have something like a 10 year-old LG LCD TV here. Optical out on HDMI TVs goes way back.

Then why do they need optical out from the console?
AFAIK most TVs nowadays have optical out. All you have to do is connect the console to the TV through HDMI and then connect the TV to the sound system through optical.

I'm using just that in my family's country (or rather.. quarantine) home.
PS4 --[HDMI]--> TV --[optical]--> Sound System

And we have something like a 10 year-old LG LCD TV here. Optical out on HDMI TVs goes way back.

the comments further explains that they got audio lag when using HDMI to TV to sound system.

I suspect the audio lag they mentioned were pretty minimal. Because my super cheap TCL TV got unnoticeable audio lag for normal use (games, movies) but easily noticeable when dual-outputting sound with PSVR (i use earphones for positional audio and subwoofer for better "feel") or when doing timing sensitive stuff (e.g. making beat saber map). So i suspect expensive LG OLED will have even lower audio lag and should not be noticeable for tons of people.

TVs like LG OLED series still adds audio lag.
If I set devices to DTS instead of Dolby, the lag is essentially gone. Dolby is really bad though for some reason. It seems like about 500ms.

Some people have devices that don't output or speakers that don't accept DTS so they can't do this.

Last edited:
I think it would be great if consoles had a dedicated HDMI just for audio output.

If I set devices to DTS instead of Dolby, the lag is essentially gone. Dolby is really bad though for some reason. It seems like about 500ms.

Some people have devices that don't output or speakers that don't accept DTS so they can't do this.

Whoa that's a lot! I'll try changing mine to DTS

I was getting lag using HDMI Arc to my Vizio soundbar via my 55"T Series 6 & by XB1X. Went straight optical from XB1X to soundbar & it's much better. Maybe I will use optical from TV instead, if it sucks then I may to try an optical splitter.

Tommy McClain

I was getting lag using HDMI Arc to my Vizio soundbar via my 55"T Series 6 & by XB1X. Went straight optical from XB1X to soundbar & it's much better. Maybe I will use optical from TV instead, if it sucks then I may to try an optical splitter.

Tommy McClain
Thanks, that news to me. I though hdmi arc (and earc) eliminated all audio lags. As they simply passing thru stuff without changing the transmission mode (or whatever its called)

Now I can't stop wondering what the actual fuck the TVs were doing that they adds audio lag in pass thru mode hahaha.

Might be related to how much time TV uses in processing the image or not? My AVR has selectable time delay for the audio just in case the video processing I have it do impacts the timing, so I can fine tune it. I never had to adjust it.

Might be related to how much time TV uses in processing the image or not? My AVR has selectable time delay for the audio just in case the video processing I have it do impacts the timing, so I can fine tune it. I never had to adjust it.
Yeah that could be the issue. Maybe with normal processing on, the audio won't lag.

But with game mode turned on and all professing turned off, the display chain goes faster. But the TV forgot to remove the added audio lag (that was used to keep things in sync in normal mode)

Man. You guys are the best. I was just wondering how this was going to play out in terms of audio connections. I'm in the same boat as orangpelupa. New TV, older AVR. Don't even know that I want a newer AVR since I assume we'll need a direct to TV connection anyway to take advantage of the variable refresh, auto low-latency, 120hz, etc. Everything I've ever tried sending audio back from the TV adds lag. But it's weird, normally you'd expect the audio to be ahead due to display processing and that you could simply use the audio delay control on the tv or receiver. But in my testing, the video is ahead as orang describes so those controls aren't helpful. I have a Samsung QLED.

I'd recommend a pioneer receiver if anyone is looking for one. I recently upgraded my tv and then had to upgrade my Yamaha receiver. 4K is too important to avoid the upgrade and i don't regret it now.

I also found that i no longer needed optical at all. Pioneer VSX-933 7.2 Channel Network AV Receiver has everything I needed with the right amount of HDMI inputs.

Modern home theater amps can sound as good as "hi-fi amps", unless you are some crazy hi-fi person whom oils their cables for better sound:D

Sony Str-DN1080 https://www.whathifi.com/us/sony/str-dn1080/review Is a good example. Few years old, cheap (300-400€ new), lot of connections, features.

No need for optical, just connect all devices to the amp and one cable to the tv = easy to control all devices with tv remote. (Maybe next gen HDMI 2.1 adds the need to upgrade again to get all features? but I still use fullHD tv so no need, and if I upgrade to that 49" sony oled, then it should have audio output from connected PS5 with arc/hdmi)

I have had it for few years, upgraded my old sony DH820 which served me years. I just wanted new one with more features and these are so cheap so why not?

IMO it is kind of lazy and selfish to complain, if user uses some old tech with obsolete connections/codecs. Same as if someone still uses TV with scart and would like to have scart in 2020 consoles.

Yes, it is bad to trash working equipment just because few features, but at least upgrading to amp with great sound and features wont cost more than 400$/€.

I lived from 1997 till maybe 2008 with Sony home theater amp (str-de425) which didnt have even digital inputs / dolby digital. And that amp just kept going, but sometimes it is time to upgrade.

If (home theater) amp doesnt have arc / hdmi then it is damn old already. And if someone wants to use device without hdmi, then they just have to live with it and buy splitter for audio.

My point is: Audio devices live long ( I use Sony APM-22ES mk2 speakers from 1980's as main speakers and diy sub from early 2000) and some need upgrading to get up to date features. At least we can use our speakers "forever".

I guess last resort is to connect amp to the controller headphones out hehe

Last edited:
I have a pioneer elite thx certified 7.1 system that sounds fantastic. It's running as well as the day I bought it. It supports HDMI but nothing higher than 1080p. If HDMI is required and optical out from tv is borked, simply buy an hdmi breakout box. It's much less expensive than replacing a $2000+ receiver. Audio should be a longer term investment than a tv. Display tech moves at a far more rapid pace.

BTW I have a b7 oled, and no lag issues using optical out.

A breakout box that supports hdmi 2.0 for less than $100. Hdmi 2.1 spec boxes will be out by next gen
https://www.amazon.ca/EZCOO-Rackmou...DMI+Audio+Extractor+hdr&qid=1584677874&sr=8-5
you have a sound system for many many years to come. Talking of surround sound, I wonder if the new sound technology of the PS5 is going to be compatible with Dolby Atmos or if the PS5 is going to support Dolby Atmos, because they didnt make it clear. It all sounded as if they are going to use only their proprietary system.

you have a sound system for many many years to come. Talking of surround sound, I wonder if the new sound technology of the PS5 is going to be compatible with Dolby Atmos or if the PS5 is going to support Dolby Atmos, because they didnt make it clear. It all sounded as if they are going to use only their proprietary system.

i suspect they could funnel their proprietary audio solution to be encoded into Atmos. I also hope they will still have realtime encoders for DTS and DD too.

otherwise, they will only use LPCM, so it will require eARC. But eARC devices only starets to get popular in 2019, maybe almost all in 2020 will have eARC. Some devices will be update-able to support eARC

i suspect they could funnel their proprietary audio solution to be encoded into Atmos. I also hope they will still have realtime encoders for DTS and DD too.

otherwise, they will only use LPCM, so it will require eARC ...

... you will need eARC for Atmos and DTS:X anyway.

I'm excited that PS5 will do HRTF based virtual 3D sound with more personalization, because that's potentially better than any virtualization on audio systems.

After years of having 5.1 system I streamlined to stereo, I wanted to keep the loudspeakers but I couldn't find any stereo amp with eARC and HDMI-CEC control, so I ended up with a soundbar.

Regarding next-gen audio connections, hope they'll keep optical out, because my "hi-fi" plan is DAC/headphone amplifier and I don't know any with HDMI input.

Back