Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
psorcerer said:
There's a lot of confusion on why SSD is so important for next-gen and how it will change things.
Here I will try to explain the main concepts.
TL;DR fast SSD is a game changing feature, this generation will be fun to watch!

It was working fine before, why do we even need that?
No, it wasn't fine, it was a giant PITA for anything other than small multiplayer maps or fighting games.
Let's talk some numbers. Unfortunately not many games have ever published their RAM pools and asset pools to the public, but some did.
Enter Killzone: Shadowfall Demo presentation.
We have roughly the following:

Type Approx. Size, % Approx. Size, MB
Textures 30% 1400
CPU working set 15% 700
GPU working set 25% 1200
Streaming pool 10% 500
Sounds 10% 450
Meshes 10% 450
Animations/Particles 1% 45

*These numbers are rounded sums of various much more detailed numbers presented in the article above.

We are interested in the "streaming pool" number here (but we will talk about others too)
We have ~500MB of data that is loaded as the demo progresses, on the fly.
The whole chunk of data that the game samples from (for that streaming process) is 1600MB.
The load speed of PS4 drive is (compressed data) <50MB/sec (uncompressed is <20MB/sec), i.e. it will take >30sec to load that at least.

It seems like it's not that big of a problem, and indeed for demo it is. But what about the game?
The game size is ~40GB, you have 6.5GB of usable RAM, you cannot load the whole game, even if you tried.
So what's left? We can either stream things in, or do a loading screen between each new section.
Let's try the easier approach: do a loading screen
We have 6.5GB of RAM, and the resident set is ~2GB from the table above (GPU + CPU working set). We need to load 4.5GB each time. It's 90 seconds, pretty annoying, but it's the best case. Any time you need to load things not sequentially, you will need to seek the drive and the time will increase.
You can't go back, as it will re-load things and - another loading screen.
You can't use more than 4.5GB assets in your whole gaming section, or you will need another loading screen.
It gets even more ridiculous if your levels are dynamic: left an item in previous zone? Load time will increase (item is not built into the gaming world, we load the world, then we seek for each item/item group on disk).
Remember Skyrim? Loading into each house? That's what will happen.
So, loading screens are easy, but if your game is not a linear, static, theme-park style attraction it gets ridiculous pretty fast.

How to we stream then?
We have a chunk of memory (remember 500Mb) that's reserved for streaming things from disk.
With our 50MB/sec speed we fill it up each 10 sec.
So, each 10 sec we can have a totally new data in RAM.
Let's do some metrics, for example: how much new shit we can show to the player in 1 min? Easy: 6*500 = 3GB
How much old shit player sees each minute? Easy again: 1400+450+450+45=~ 2.5GB
So we have a roughly 50/50 old to new shit on screen.
Reused monsters? assets? textures? NPCs? you name it. You have the 50/50 going on.

But PS4 has 6.5GB of RAM, we used only 4.5GB till now, what about other 2GB?
Excellent question!
The answer is: it goes to the old shit. Because if we increase the streaming buffer to 1.5GB it still does nothing to the 50MB/sec speed.
With the full 6.5GB we get to 6GB old vs 3GB new in 1 minute. Which is 2:1 old shit wins.

But what about 10 minutes?
Good, good. Here we go!
In 10 min we can get to 30GB new shit vs 6GB old.
And that's, my friends, how the games worked last gen.
You're as a player were introduced to the new gaming moments very gradually.
Or, there were some tricks they used: open doors animation.
Remember Uncharted with all the "let's open that heavy door for 15sec?" that's because new shit needs to load, players need to get to a new location, but we cannot load it fast.

So, what about SSDs then?
We will answer that later.
Let's ask something else.

What about 4K?
With 4K "GPU working set" will grow 4x, at least.
We are looking at 1200*4 = 4.8GB of GPU data.
CPU working set will also grow (everybody wants these better scripts and physics I presume?) but probably 2x only, to 700*2 = ~1.5GB
So overall the persistent memory will be well over 6GB, let's say 6.5GB.
That leaves us with ~5GB of free RAM in XSeX and ~8GB for PS5.

Stop, stop! Why PS5 has more RAM suddenly?
That's simple.
XSeX RAM is divided into two pools (logically, physically it's the same RAM): 10GB and 3.5GB.
GPU working set must use the 10GB pool (it's the memory set that absolutely needs the fast bandwidth).
So 10 - 4.8 = 5.2 which is ~5GB
CPU working set will use 3.5GB pool and we will have a spare 2GB there for other things.
We may load some low freq data there, like streaming meshes and stuff, but it will hard to use in each frame: accessing that data too frequently will lower the whole system bandwidth to 336Mb/sec.
That's why MSFT calls the 10GB pool "GPU optimal".

But what about PS5? It also has some RAM reserved for the system? It should be ~14GB usable!
Nope, sorry.
PS5 has a 5.5GB/sec flash drive. That typically loads 2GB in 0.27 sec. It's write speed is lower, but not less than 5.5GB/sec raw.
What PS5 can do, and I would be pretty surprised if Sony won't do it. Is to save the system image to the disk while the game is playing.
And thus give almost full 16GB of RAM to the game.
2GB system image will load into RAM in <1 sec (save 2GB game data to disk in 0.6 sec + load system from disk 0.3 sec). Why keep it resident?
But I'm on the safe side here. So it's ~14.5GB usable for PS5.

Hmm, essentially MSFT can do that too?
Yep, they can. The speeds will be less sexy but not more than ~3sec, I think.
Why don't they do it? Probably they rely on OS constantly running on the background for all the services it provides.
That's why I gave Sony 14.5GB.
But I have hard time understanding why 2.5GB is needed, all the background services can run on a much smaller RAM footprint just fine, and UI stuff can load on-demand.

Can we talk about SSD for games now?
Yup.
So, let's get to the numbers again.
For XSeX ~5GB of "free" RAM we can divide it into 2 parts: resident and streaming.
Why two? Because typically you cannot load shit into frame while frame is rendering.
GPU is so fast, that each time you ask GPU "what exact memory location are you reading now?" will slow it down to give you an answer.

But can you load things into other part while the first one is rendering?
Absolutely. You can switch "resident" and "streaming" part as much as you like, if it's fast enough.
Anyway, we got to 50/50 of "new shit" to "old shit" inside 1 second now!
2.5GB of resident + 2.5GB of streaming pool and it takes XSeX just 1 sec to completely reload the streaming part!
In 1 min we have 60:1 of new/old ratio!
Nice!

What about PS5 then? Is it just 2x faster and that's it?
Not really.
The whole 8GB of the RAM we have "free" can be a "streaming pool" on PS5.

But you said "we cannot load while frame is rendering"?
In XSeX, yes.
But in PS5 we have GPU cache scrubbers.
This is a piece of silicon inside the GPU that will reload our assets on the fly while GPU is rendering the frame.
It has full access to where and what GPU is reading right now (it's all in the GPU cache, hence "cache scrubber")
It will also never invalidate the whole cache (which can still lead to GPU "stall") but reload exactly the data that changed (I hope you've listened to that part of Cerny's talk very closely).

But it's free RAM size doesn't really matter, we still have 2:1 of old/new in one frame, because SSD is only 2x faster?
Yes, and no.
We do have only 2x faster rates (although the max rates are much higher for PS5: 22GB/sec vs 6GB/sec)
But the thing is, GPU can render from 8GB of game data. And XSeX - only from 2.5GB, do you remember that we cannot render from the "streaming" part while it loads?
So in any given scene, potentially, PS5 can have 2x to 3x more details/textures/assets than XSeX.
Yes, XSeX will render it faster, higher FPS or higher frame-buffer resolution (not both, perf difference is too low).
But the scene itself will be less detailed, have less artwork.

OMG, can MSFT do something about it?
Of course they will, and they do!
What are the XSeX advantages? More ALU power (FLOPS) more RT power, more CPU power.
What MSFT will do: rely heavily on this power advantage instead of the artwork: more procedural stuff, more ALU used for physics simulation (remember, RT and lighting is a physics simulation too, after all).
More compute and more complex shaders.

So what will be the end result?
It's pretty simple.
PS5: relies on more artwork and pushing more data through the system. Potentially 2x performance in that.
XSeX: relies more on in-frame calculations, procedural. Potentially 30% performance in that.
Who will win: dunno. There are pros and cons for each.
It will be a fun generation indeed. Much more fun than the previous one, for sure.

don't know if all is true, but interesting read

Dev sources about the priority Mode Thing. I think it makes sense to be sceptical of my typing that, because it sounds weird to me that variable clocks need to be mentioned really if they are indeed actually fixed all the time in practice at their max for both parts.
Devs have to be informed because they need to know how their hardware is going to react. Sony couldn’t possibly predict all the usage scenarios for the cores, so they need to arm developers with the information necessary to understand the hardware’s behavior.

Have those same devs told you they’ve actually witnessed this behavior in development?

Frankly, it would be more alarming if developers hadn’t heard anything because it would imply Sony withholding information or being intentionally misleading.

Last edited:
Dev sources about the priority Mode Thing. I think it makes sense to be sceptical of my typing that, because it sounds weird to me that variable clocks need to be mentioned really if they are indeed actually fixed all the time in practice at their max for both parts.
It should be erroneously expensive console if it’s able to keep within 50 MHz of Those clocks fixed under heavy loads. And that doesn’t make sense to me.

typically boost mode for GPUs are handled by a controller that is monitoring power, voltage, frequency and thermals and the data passing through the chip.

when the saturation of the chip is low, it boosts the frequency high because a majority of the chip is not being used and it can use the available power to increase the clock speed.

As the loads get heavier it continually brings the boost down until it hits the base clock of the chip.

If Cerny is saying that PS5 is under full boost all the time, then to make it deterministic the power is fixed. Then the VRMs and PSU need to be of high quality to supply all that power to keep both GPU and CPU under heavy load running near cap. Not to mention that silicon for the SOC must be of high yield to sustain high voltages for a long duration of time. Then of course cooling must be significant to keep it cooled.

If these items work in tandem then I do believe it’s possible to stay fixed near those cap frequencies. But that increases the cost of the console significantly.

the alternative is use cheaper parts across the board and the swing of power between CPU and GPU needs to be greater as the load begins to ramp up.

As a potential buyer I will want to know before I buy. Sorry this comes across as concern trolling here. I don’t have much doubts that they can keep it held at 2.23Ghz on the GPU, but I want to know the cost to the CPU when the GPU is under heavy load. I want transparency.

If it’s a significant drop off then all the talk about these new CPUs having this massive paradigm shift in game design is toast. GPUs easily use 2-4x the power of a CPU; so how much will need to be pulled from the CPU while the GPU is under load trying to hold its 2.23Ghz.

or if they want to keep the CPU up and running strong for this paradigm shift and it is under load then tell us what the GPU clock rate will be when that happens.

Last edited:
don't know if all is true, but interesting read

I think the PS5 will still need a memory reserve similar in size to the XSX.

8K DVR cache, all them social media integration things for "sharing", social-distancing (friends) lists and chats, and probably space to add or tweak things in the future.

And you can't rely on swapping part of the game out unless you've forced every game maker to make part of their game available for swapping. The game has to keep working reliably no matter what!

Sizeable OS reserves are with us to stay, unfortunately. Though at least they're getting more reasonably proportioned....

I think it makes sense to be sceptical of my typing that, because it sounds weird to me that variable clocks need to be mentioned really if they are indeed actually fixed all the time in practice at their max for both parts.

It should be erroneously expensive console if it’s able to keep within 50 MHz of Those clocks fixed under heavy loads. And that doesn’t make sense to me.

If the downclock would only be 50mhz, or 2%, in very rare cases, they wouldnt have to mention it, because every CPU/GPU does it, probably even more often then what they are claiming. Besides that, if it would be rather often, and it's only 2% at the absolute max, it would either not really be a problem to mention it, because that doesn't have much if any performance impact.

The following post is getting closer to the truth

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2112796/

Devs have to be informed because they need to know how their hardware is going to react. Sony couldn’t possibly predict all the usage scenarios for the cores, so they need to arm developers with the information necessary to understand the hardware’s behavior.

Have those same devs told you they’ve actually witnessed this behavior in development?

Frankly, it would be more alarming if developers hadn’t heard anything because it would imply Sony withholding information or being intentionally misleading.
Sony doesn’t need to with hold information. You just let the developers run a benchmark that will torture CPU, torture GPU and torture CPU and GPU under different configurations (priority configs) and see from there what to expect for their targeted game.

they are under NDA so they can’t talk about it.

I can see a scenario where this is bothersome for developers. You fine tune your engine for 1 profile and the game for that. Your next title changes requirements and you’ve got the engine tuned for a different mix of CPU and GPU and now you have to go back make changes. If the swing is nothing, than this is a nothing burger. But if that was true they should have just gone with fixed.

8K DVR cache, all them social media integration things for "sharing", social-distancing (friends) lists and chats, and probably space to add or tweak things in the future.

I wonder how much of that could be shifted to some DDR4 if they take the ARM+DDR approach again. Or maybe just the DDR approach.

There'd certainly have to be some amount of the GDDR6 reserved for the OS, but screenshots, DVR, downloads, notifications, Spotify, party chat, streaming, the web browser, and the store could probably be served just fine by a couple of GB's of DDR4.

And you can't rely on swapping part of the game out unless you've forced every game maker to make part of their game available for swapping. The game has to keep working reliably no matter what!

I think there was something like 512MB of memory on the PS4 that had to be available to the OS when requested. So it's possible they've iterated on that with the PS5.

My guess is 1GB of GDDR6 reserved by the OS at all times, and 1GB that can be used by either the OS or the game. It only takes a fifth of a second to fill that from the SSD. I can wait a fifth of a second to see my dynamic Subnautica theme.

Then 2GB's of DDR4 for the other stuff I mentioned. Maybe 4GB's of DDR4, and the 1GB of OS-available GDDR6 gets swapped in here. The extra 1GB available to developers if they want to venture out of the GDDR6.

The SSD tech probably is faster then pc also, atleast in the beginning.

7GB/s SSD's are due to hit the market this year. Although they'll probably cost near 50% the price of an XSX. It's doubtless that it'll be possible to create a faster PC than XSX by the time it launches (Big Navi, Ryzen 3950x, 7GB/s SSD) but the cost will be insane. I think PC gamers like myself justify spending that kind of money (although I wouldn't spend that much myself) because they prefer the customisability of the PC experience. They enjoy tweaking setting and benchmarking, in some cases more than the gaming itself.

Personally I'll probably wait for the graphics generation after Ampere/RDNA2 and get something a bit more reasonably priced. My 1070 should comfortably handle anything the next can throw at it at 1080p sans HDR. I can handle slumming it for a year I reckon.

7GB/s SSD's are due to hit the market this year. Although they'll probably cost near 50% the price of an XSX. It's doubtless that it'll be possible to create a faster PC than XSX by the time it launches (Big Navi, Ryzen 3950x, 7GB/s SSD) but the cost will be insane. I think PC gamers like myself justify spending that kind of money (although I wouldn't spend that much myself) because they prefer the customisability of the PC experience. They enjoy tweaking setting and benchmarking, in some cases more than the gaming itself.

Personally I'll probably wait for the graphics generation after Ampere/RDNA2 and get something a bit more reasonably priced. My 1070 should comfortably handle anything the next can throw at it at 1080p sans HDR. I can handle slumming it for a year I reckon.

Agree with you, im in the same boat. For the living room though, the ps4 will be replaced by an xsx, together with gamepass that will be a nice combo.
The amount of ps exclusives seen over the whole lifespan hasnt been what it was like my previous PS, the PS2. I mainly got it for HZD because i have someone related working at the studio. But since more and more PS games appear on pc aswell, i thought of going that combo, instead of always PC+PS for exclusives.

And yes, i'm going to get a whole new pc (two actually) one or two years in next-gen. My current 3900x/2080 will be passed on to my sister.
Hey btw, i remember you well from Chairmansteve's forum back in the days, good times :D This forum is the only one matching that one in quality it seems. 'Hank supercomputer' answering questions was a funny thing ;)

A 9900k/2080ti comfortably pulls ahead the XSX and that combo will be 2yrs+ old by the time the XSX arrives. The only difference being the faster SSD *if* PC games are programmed to take advantage of it.

Then why bring it up in the first place? My point was that we only know about it because the developers said something that was probably under NDA.
Wasnt this what all insiders were doing last year and people were almost violently defending them with "they are protecting their sources"?

I started to doubt what Cerny said because he said they couldnt lock 2.0GHz before, yet now it should run at 2.2GHz all the times? Well, thats if you listen what other people say about what Cerny said, but upon second listen there is no guarantees from Cerny.

He said :

They expect (dont guarantee)...

at or near (how much is near?)...

most of the time (51%…70%...90%?, Who knows, it all fits)

Until we get benchmarks or leaks by developers we may never know. Perhaps it will run full pelt in every cutscene, but drop when alot of RT is introduced to scene? For now, its a nice + on spec sheet and good way to maximize your silicon, but we wont know the clocks or perf until it is released.

I suspect, with how Dictator posted it, its not going to be 2.23GHz at all times at all.

Last edited:
Then why bring it up in the first place? My point was that we only know about it because the developers said something that was probably under NDA.
yea, leaks ;)

He hasn't said anything damning. He's just putting some context around some things we are discussing.
The information around this will come out eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back