Playstation 5 Reveal Reactions *spawn*

When Covid19 become less fearsome and newsworthy and more of a part of our day to day gruesome existence. Which is month or two.

One more thing. I don't think Sony marketing sucks. We have global pandemia, thousands of people are dying, hundreds of thousands are sick. They could show talking elephant and most folks wouldn't care. And they aim at mass market not some forum geeks. They will show more when they have the attention they want.
Marketing still sucks. They should work around the problem. Should be clear who their audience is, and then reach that audience. If this was a tech showcase not for the public, don't post it as a reveal on the consumer-facing blog and Tweet the world

When Covid19 become less fearsome and newsworthy and more of a part of our day to day gruesome existence.
A lot of old people dying a bit early is way shy of gruesome. Go look up the fear of the Black Death people lived with day-to-day to know what gruesome is. At the moment we have homes to keep us warm and dry, electricity and communications to keep us entertained and connected. Some people on the front lines like medical staff have it rough. Everyone else should muddle through and be grateful modern tech has made dealing with a pandemic fairly tolerable.

I don't agree with being mute during Covid-19, seems like engagement from public is pretty high (already 5+ million views for each on YTs). I am working from home, as does very big part of population that plays video games. If anything, this is perfect chance to be open with people and engage with public while we are quarantined in our homes, nothing bad in that.

This viral crisis could not only change the way we work, but the way companies engage with public. No need for big shows perhaps, twitter and YT will do all the work.

Do we have any clues to ps5 launch games?

I guess the pc version of horizon zero dawn would come to ps5? Maybe they can add some low hanging fruits like streaming in super detailed assets(both texture and geometry) and perhaps some ray tracing for sun/moon/daytime effect? Kind of first iteration of future tech retrofitted on top of previous gen game. Get the engine upgraded without having to invest that much into new content.

Marketing still sucks. They should work around the problem. Should be clear who their audience is, and then reach that audience. If this was a tech showcase not for the public, don't post it as a reveal on the consumer-facing blog and Tweet the world

A lot of old people dying a bit early is way shy of gruesome. Go look up the fear of the Black Death people lived with day-to-day to know what gruesome is. At the moment we have homes to keep us warm and dry, electricity and communications to keep us entertained and connected. Some people on the front lines like medical staff have it rough. Everyone else should muddle through and be grateful modern tech has made dealing with a pandemic fairly tolerable.
My parents are old and not in good health, my daughter is asthmatic. Economy is crumbling.I dont feel comfortable at all. But maybe I am overreacting. Fun fact, most people around are much more worried than I am.

I agree teasing that reveal the day before was idiotic if anything a control leak like a random developer leaking that video would of been much better or just release it but the hype build up from the leak was a big mistake.

My parents are old and not in good health, my daughter is asthmatic. Economy is crumbling.I dont feel comfortable at all. But maybe I am overreacting. Fun fact, most people around are much more worried than I am.
People may be worried, but it's not gruesome. Black Death was many millions dying with no understanding why, over a period of hundreds of years. There was no hope to it ending because people didn't know what caused it or how to stop it. When you were quarantined in your house with a good chance of dying, surrounded by sick and dying relatives, there was no contact with the outside world, and you didn't have scientific evidence to tell you that your asthmatic daughter actually isn't that much at risk based on world-wide information presented daily giving some info on who dies and why (although that info could be way better). And for the economy, every time the economy collapses, it comes back again.

Humanity has faced far, far, far worse. It's kinda disingenuous to those who have really suffered to liken what we presently are going through, such the horrors of trying to work remotely for a full day with restless children in the house, to those who came before us and their myriad of problems.

I am not saying it's worse than Black death. However I think that you are taking things far too lightly. The virus is moderatly dangerous (2% - 4 % death rate?) but extremely contagious, which can lead to millions of deaths in short period of time across the world. Since wwII there were no such danger.

It is not a good time for major reveals because news are dominated by Covid19. Technical chit chat - why not? Bells and whistles - not so much.

Ps. I am not working from home as plenty of other people. And asthma IS a serious risk factor.

Last edited:
Something odd about the presentation. Beyond the "audience". It almost struck me as some kind of weird hybrid. If it was purely for GDC, and created some time back, I would have expected it to far more technical than it was. This lacked all kinds of detail that I would have expected for a developer brief.

DigitalFoundry said in their article "Digital Foundry had the chance to watch the lecture a couple of days ahead of time and had the opportunity to talk to Cerny in more depth afterwards about the nature of the custom PlayStation hardware and the philosophy behind its design." We don't know who the shadows were, perhaps some media people, perhaps some devs, perhaps just some other Sony people.

GDC talks likes this are not aimed at the big AAA and AA studios, many of whom have devkits and know more than what was revealed. This talk was aimed at the tech media and smaller devs that Sony have not yet briefed. This was about key specifications and why Sony chose this approach. This is why the box, controller and other key system features were not covered apart from backwards compatibility, for any devs thinking they may need to port.

Just because there is no further detailed technical information in the presentation does not mean that was not available to GDC attendees who signed NDAs. But it's NDA and therefore not public.

Maybe I just am not remembering former addresses like this from previous GDC's and this is normal. There are some really basic questions being left unanswered at this point. To be clear, I mean that it didn't seem deep enough to be of real use to developers. The "allay your fears/ TF's not everything" bit seemed more directed at laymen. Developers would already know what that metric is worth to them. It felt like Cerny was justifying the decision as if to a laymen audience. But if it was directed at the public, no tech demo's/ examples shown? No shot of the box or the controller or talk of the controller at all?

GDC talks range from esoteric to deeply technical. This talk, titled 'The Road to PS5', was very much like Mark Cerny's 'The Road to PS4' which he gave at GameLabs in June 2013 - before PS4's launch.

This basically a nerd-service presentation for those interested in why Sony designed PS5 like this.

If Sony was planning on getting the jump on GDC, since everyone apparently expects the specs to get leaked during/ post GDC, then they would have had a "public reveal" plan ready to go prior to the COVID business and cancellation. .... Something just seems odd about the entire affair. Feel free to correct me. I won't take it personally.

This being the only high-profile video communique from Sony on PS5 is bizarre. You have to wonder what was going through their minds in marketing because they screwed up. I assume Sony are not yet confident in the launch feature-set of PS5 to do what they did for PS4 in February in the launch year. I wonder if they were between a rock and hard stone, i.e. they needed to do a video for offline-GDC but knew it would certainly leak. If they didn't share it, somebody else would.

That doesn't change the fact that they screwed this up. :nope: Materially, it's not a big deal and I saw zero media coverage of this what with the apocalypse happening and all.

edit: typos.

Last edited by a moderator:
DigitalFoundry said in their article "Digital Foundry had the chance to watch the lecture a couple of days ahead of time and had the opportunity to talk to Cerny in more depth afterwards about the nature of the custom PlayStation hardware and the philosophy behind its design." We don't know who the shadows were, perhaps some media people, perhaps some devs, perhaps just some other Sony people.

GDC talks likes this are not aimed at the big AAA and AA studios, many of whom have devkits and know more than what was revealed. This talk was aimed at the tech media and smaller devs that Sony have not yet briefed. This was about key specifications and why Sony chose this approach. This is why the box, controller and other key system features were not covered apart from backwards compatibility, for any devs thinking they may need to port.

Just because there is more more detached technical information in the presentation does not mean that was not available to GDC attendees who signed NDAs. But it's NDA and therefore not public.

GDC talks from was esoterica to deeply technical. This talk, titled 'The Road to PS5', was very much like Mark Cerny's 'The Road to PS4' which he gave at GameLabs in June 2013 - before PS4's launch.

This basically a nerd-service presentation for those interested in why Sony designed PS5 like this.

This being the only high-profile video communique from Sony on PS5 is bizarre. You have to wonder what was going through their minds in marketing because they screwed up. I assume Sony are not yet confident in the launch feature-set of PS5 to do what they did for PS4 in February in the launch year. I suspect they were in a bit of rock and hard place, they wanted to do a video for offline-GDC but knew it would certainly leak. If they didn't share it, somebody else would.

That doesn't change the fact that they screwed this up. :nope: Materially, it's not a big deal and I saw zero media coverage of this what with the apocalypse happening and all.

Among many questionable decisions, this one killed me: "I've already seen a PS5 title that is successfully using ray-tracing-based reflections in complex animated scenes, with only modest costs."

Well. Where is it?? If you brag about it, bloody show it! Or don’t say it!

For me I feel the biggest problem with this was that the twitter the day before gave me an impression that this is it. We will most likely see the box and maybe even some games or at least tech demos. I was very excited. In the end I see it as a extension of the wired articles. If Sony had been straight with the announcement of the announcement, I think we would have felt much more satisfied afterwards. With that said I really like Mark Cerny for who he is, the way he presents and he gives me the impression that what he says you can trust. His long history through the gaming industry doing hardware optimization for game developing is impressive. I advice to also see the already mentioned "the road to PS4" for those who haven't.

Apparently devs also are not happy with marketing
The overarching theme here is that these devs sound seriously impressed with Sony's next-gen system, but the messaging is disappointingly stunted right now. Schreier begins: "So what I'm hearing from the people who are actually working on these [next-gen consoles] is that the Xbox Series X is not significantly more powerful than the PS5, despite this teraflops number. Teraflops might be a useful measure of comparison in some ways, but ultimately it's a theoretical max speed."

"The stuff I'm hearing from developers is very different from what I'm seeing in Sony's marketing strategy," Schreier adds.

"I'm getting texts and DMs from developers being like, this is such a shame, the PS5 is so superior in all these other ways that they're not actually able to message right now, or can't talk about right now. I heard from at least three different people, since the Cerny thing, that the PS5 is actually the superior piece of hardware in a lot of different ways despite what we're seeing in these spec sheets."

As Schreier goes on to say, there's still a lot of time for Sony to rework and correct its messaging. We're still around eight months from the PS5's launch -- unless it gets delayed -- and there's obviously a lot more ground to cover in terms of games, price, design, controllers... It's not like the PlayStation maker has nothing more to say.
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...devs_seem_disappointed_by_sonys_communication

Is there a reason why Cerny mentioned only Primitive Shaders for the PS5, but nothing of Mesh Shaders or VRS support in his presentation? I thought Primitive Shaders were a RDNA1 feature, while RDNA2 uses Mesh Shaders.

if i understood correctly primitive shaders is an AMD thing and mesh shaders is the NVIDIA version ?
seems like a close interlock.
We're trying to figure out what Geometry Engine is, but we believe it's just Sony's branding of the above features

Sony was really vague considering this was supposed to be a GDC talk. :/
True. But it’s hard to believe it could be much else.
If Sony did not roll RDNA2 and made everything from scratch you’d have a point.
If they went with RDNA2; then I have a hard time believing they’d roll new features with RDNA2 supporting the cutting edge in features.

customization is a possibility. But I guess we need to wait for more information if that’s true.

Some devs want sony to show all the cards immediately?

But the game is still going on between sony and ms. I understand devs might be frutrated by all the disinformation online, but they are not the ones with a console to sell in november. They have to trickle a new thing every month or so, otherwise they get 8 months with nothing else to say.

Back