Playstation 5 Reveal Reactions *spawn*

Globalisateur

Globby
Legend
Veteran
Supporter
Julien Chièze reaction from the GDC presentation with Cerny. He is not happy at all:

- Arrogant Sony is back, no other way to put it (he isn't kidding)
- They should have adapted their presentation to the current world situation.
- For PS4 they already displayed the controller and a game
- Should have shown some games and the controller with the new features: notably haptic feedback
- The fake public was ridiculous
- Sony marketing / communication are completely incompetent
- This is the first reveal for the public, it was very important, whether they liked it or not, they should have adapted it for the public as developers already know most of this stuff. And they had plenty of time to adapt it, they have no excuses.

He has made a poll, about 90% of people are not happy with Cerny's presentation. And he says his stream has being watched by tons of people in France and they have beaten all their previous records, probably even youtube records.

Can we talk about the fact that the fake public ... WASNT REALLY FAKE?? Which makes it even creepier and weirder????

I thought it was some fake PowerPoint presentation template kind of crowd, but the guy actually moved at some point!!!

HE MOVED.

So creepy.

yeah, it was real people - like they got half a dozen people with no interest in gaming and held them to gunpoint!

Can we talk about the fact that the fake public ... WASNT REALLY FAKE?? Which makes it even creepier and weirder????

I thought it was some fake PowerPoint presentation template kind of crowd, but the guy actually moved at some point!!!

HE MOVED.

So creepy.
I noticed at least the one from the left moved. The one from the right if real surely ended up with a great neckhache.

I had a quick look at the video on youtube
wow it was terrible, yes having those 5 or so ppl in front just looked crap :mrgreen:
OK it was aimed more at developers but still sheeesh :LOL:

Julien Chièze reaction from the GDC presentation with Cerny. He is not happy at all:

- Arrogant Sony is back, no other way to put it (he isn't kidding)
- They should have adapted their presentation to the current world situation.
- For PS4 they already displayed the controller and a game
- Should have shown some games and the controller with the new features: notably haptic feedback
- The fake public was ridiculous
- Sony marketing / communication are completely incompetent
- This is the first reveal for the public, it was very important, whether they liked it or not, they should have adapted it for the public as developers already know most of this stuff. And they had plenty of time to adapt it, they have no excuses.

He has made a poll, about 90% of people are not happy with Cerny's presentation. And he says his stream has being watched by tons of people in France and they have beaten all their previous records, probably even youtube records.

Is this the French dude the French gaming community hates? Clickbait, warrior pandering, typical YT bs. He's the French Colt iirc.
Sony fucked this up badly, but this dude ain't the one to use for whatever it is you're trying to do.

More meaningful stats:
Official video

12.3 million views. 285k likes 108k dislikes

Digital Foundry PS5 :
425 K views. 19,000 likes. 582 dislikes

Digital Foundry XBSX :
568 K views. 27,000 likes. 398 dislikes

XBSX hands on :
5.1 million views. 187k. 6k dislikes

XBSX is definitely more 'liked' at the moment.

To be fair, this is their B game rather than the planned A game. We don't know what the intended reveal was in the pre-Covid world. But certainly their marketing is on the back footing adn they need to dial it up when messaging the system, services and games. No real rush on that though. Let MS win this round on hardware.

Yep. I’ll say it again, Sony’s messaging at the moment is very questionable.

And even worse, it’s the one thing they excelled at.

All very odd.

It's very bad. They should either delayed the presentation or circulate the video among major publishers and developers and give DF an interview about the console specs.

I think losing people like House, Hirai or Tretton has hurted their ability to communicate with the public. Jim Ryan is the most boring thing to listen to tbh, good thing they ditched the E3 press conferences.

Sony is lying about their specs. 10.3tflops and 3.5ghz on their GPU and CPU are boost clocks. what are the base clocks where the cpu and gpu can operate without any oscillation between the two? those are the real clocks not these fake max clocks.

Let MS win this round on hardware.

Sony has a leg up on aaa games for current generation. Now ms will need to show more then just hb2 and halo, their studio investments hopefully bring more aaa games. They have a much better stance this time around atleast.

Last edited:
Something odd about the presentation. Beyond the "audience". It almost struck me as some kind of weird hybrid. If it was purely for GDC, and created some time back, I would have expected it to far more technical than it was. This lacked all kinds of detail that I would have expected for a developer brief. Maybe I just am not remembering former addresses like this from previous GDC's and this is normal. There are some really basic questions being left unanswered at this point. To be clear, I mean that it didn't seem deep enough to be of real use to developers. The "allay your fears/ TF's not everything" bit seemed more directed at laymen. Developers would already know what that metric is worth to them. It felt like Cerny was justifying the decision as if to a laymen audience. But if it was directed at the public, no tech demo's/ examples shown? No shot of the box or the controller or talk of the controller at all?

If Sony was planning on getting the jump on GDC, since everyone apparently expects the specs to get leaked during/ post GDC, then they would have had a "public reveal" plan ready to go prior to the COVID business and cancellation. Yet, that never materialized. Even if it had been a planned live event, most of what you would show would already be laid out well in advance. Whatever trailers and demos were needed should have been ready to go. Presentations written and practiced. Easy enough to turn this into a lengthy video and you wouldn't even need a "Live" audience. Maybe Sony's plans were different. Maybe they were going to release their presentation/ show sometimes closer to E3 and not care what leaked from GDC.

Something just seems odd about the entire affair. Feel free to correct me. I won't take it personally.

Something odd about the presentation. Beyond the "audience". It almost struck me as some kind of weird hybrid. If it was purely for GDC, and created some time back, I would have expected it to far more technical than it was. This lacked all kinds of detail that I would have expected for a developer brief. Maybe I just am not remembering former addresses like this from previous GDC's and this is normal. There are some really basic questions being left unanswered at this point. To be clear, I mean that it didn't seem deep enough to be of real use to developers. The "allay your fears/ TF's not everything" bit seemed more directed at laymen. Developers would already know what that metric is worth to them. It felt like Cerny was justifying the decision as if to a laymen audience. But if it was directed at the public, no tech demo's/ examples shown? No shot of the box or the controller or talk of the controller at all?

If Sony was planning on getting the jump on GDC, since everyone apparently expects the specs to get leaked during/ post GDC, then they would have had a "public reveal" plan ready to go prior to the COVID business and cancellation. Yet, that never materialized. Even if it had been a planned live event, most of what you would show would already be laid out well in advance. Whatever trailers and demos were needed should have been ready to go. Presentations written and practiced. Easy enough to turn this into a lengthy video and you wouldn't even need a "Live" audience. Maybe Sony's plans were different. Maybe they were going to release their presentation/ show sometimes closer to E3 and not care what leaked from GDC.

Something just seems odd about the entire affair. Feel free to correct me. I won't take it personally.

I totally agree.

Personally I think the reveal was ok. Mainly because I expected less and I like Cerny delivery. He seems rather likeable and competent.

Nevertheless, I am still not certain about the outcome. How good they are with achieving more with less? What's the numbers of ROPs? Why the heck did they go with 256bit RAM and why they did not get it above 500gb/s? What about RT efficiency? What's the price? I guess we will find out soon. Developers seems to be happy, which is a good thing.

disappointed by the lack of demo.
I liked his vision of things, but i would have liked some concrete exemples of what it's all about.
Guess we'll have to wait a few months more...

One more thing. I don't think Sony marketing sucks. We have global pandemia, thousands of people are dying, hundreds of thousands are sick. They could show talking elephant and most folks wouldn't care. And they aim at mass market not some forum geeks. They will show more when they have the attention they want.

Back