Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

True, but he most likely gets orders from the top (Sony). Ive said it before, Cerny is not to blame for this. MS probably had a whole team behind designing the thing im sure.

I think it's pretty clear he wanted to go tall (higher frequency) than wide (more CUs). And why someone has to be blamed? For what?

True, but he most likely gets orders from the top (Sony). Ive said it before, Cerny is not to blame for this. MS probably had a whole team behind designing the thing im sure.

Blamed for what?
The decision to have prioritised storage might have been the right call, some developer said on Twitter or some forum can't remember now that he would take the storage speed over two TFlops everytime.

Would be really cool if devs could chime in on this, also if Sony's solution is actually fast enough.

I think it's pretty clear he wanted to go tall (higher frequency) than wide (more CUs).

Would make sense to me if he achieved the same performance, and perhaps somewhat more conservative clocks?

Regarding Cerny, that's coming from people commenting on fb, yt etc that cerny is the bad guy here. I just say he's not at all.

Obviously, both Sony and MS had whole teams building the next gens consoles. Stating otherwise is just stupid, sorry to say.

The notion that Cerny alone decided what to do with this, shows a complete lack of understanding of how the world works.

Would make sense to me if he achieved the same performance, and perhaps somewhat more conservative clocks?
Why? We can have concerns about thermal issues but the whole power management architecture looks pretty sophisticate to precisely achieve higher clocks. I think they have been thinking about this for quite a while. He has also explained why he thinks going for higher clocks is better.

Sony is clearly aiming at having the most efficient console possible, the I/O design, the storage solution, the higher clocks... all aims to eliminate any inefficiencies the system could have.

Obviously, both Sony and MS had whole teams building the next gens consoles. Stating otherwise is just stupid, sorry to say.

The notion that Cerny alone decided what to do with this, shows a complete lack of understanding of how the world works.

I know that, then don't say 'Cerny is not a noob' because he clearly wasnt the only one resposible for the PS5s hardware design.

Sony is clearly aiming at having the most efficient console possible, the storage solution, the higher clocks... all aims to eliminate any inefficiencies the system could have.

We dont know sure but, the advanced cooling probably has something to do with that extreme of a clock on the GPU.

We dont know sure but, the advanced cooling probably has something to do with that extreme of a clock on the GPU.

What about the power management system, they designed that afterwards as well? The github leak from months ago was already pointing at very high clocks.

What about the power management system, they designed that afterwards as well? The github leak from months ago was already pointing at very high clocks.

Yes in conjuntion with the high clocks they most likely had to. 2000mhz was already very high, probably the comfortable limit.

Yes in conjuntion with the high clocks they most likely had to. 2000mhz was already very high, probably the comfortable limit.

Just to clarify what you are saying, you say they revamped the entire system in 3 months to close the TF gap with the XBSX?

Just to clarify what you are saying, you say they revamped the entire system in 3 months to close the TF gap with the XBSX?

Nope, they most likely went with 36CU's from the beginning, aiming for double the PS4 Pro performance, like MS doubling on One X. As github showed, 9TF last summer, boosted after that.

According to Cerny it should run at max speed most of the time, but some specific loads are just so powerhungry there will be cases where it won't.
However, what were their testing conditions? 40 degrees C environments without aircon? Will some countries have a crappier experience because they are hotter?

However, what were their testing conditions? 40 degrees C environments without aircon? Will some countries have a crappier experience because they are hotter?

Wasn't there the notion that temperatures have no impact on clock boosts? Yes it sounds strange, but that was what was said?

Wasn't there the notion that temperatures have no impact on clock boosts? Yes it sounds strange, but that was what was said?

The way I understood it is that only power usage would have impact on clocks.
That the APU runs using full power all the time and that's why he alluded to it actually being easier to do the cooling because there's no variables.

They can test the APU at all types of ambient temperatures. The clocks drop when worst case scenarios start demanding more power than is there governed limit.

Nope, they most likely went with 36CU's from the beginning, aiming for double the PS4 Pro performance, like MS doubling on One X. As github showed, 9TF last summer, boosted after that.

We were not talking about CU, you claim they changed the cooling and the power management system or not?

That the APU runs using full power all the time and that's why he alluded to it actually being easier to do the cooling because there's no variables.

They can test the APU at all types of ambient temperatures. The clocks drop when worst case scenarios start demanding more power than is there governed limit.

And the 10% reduction in power only reducing 2% the clocks make sense as, from a certain level, each Hz cost a lot of power.

We were not talking about CU, you claim they changed the cooling and the power management system or not?

No i didn't, the cooling was most likely neccesary even at 'just' 2000mhz. The XSX already has a high clock, and even there they needed to improvise cooling design.

Even at the same voltages, higher frequencies actually do impact temperatures in a negative way. Atleast thats my experience with overclocking pc components. It's very complicated, so its hard to know exactly whats going on, but higher frequencies mostly means higher deltas.

And the 10% reduction in power only reducing 2% the clocks make sense as, from a certain level, each Hz cost a lot of power.

Which means they are really pushing that GPU to the max limits at those clocks.

Back