AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any educated guesses which is better from RT accelerations point of view - having more units or faster units, or are they just as good options respective to RT performance?

Is there any educated guesses which is better from RT accelerations point of view - having more units or faster units, or are they just as good options respective to RT performance?
Raytracing seems to be as much of a parallellable task as rasterization, so I'd bet that in the end what counts is throuhgput, or units x clock speed.
Otherwise the lower clocked 2080 Ti would suffer in comparison to the 2080.

But I guess in a comparison of two GPUs with equivalent architecture and same RT throughput / bandwidth / etc., but one is wider but the other is clocked faster, the later may have some advantage due to higher clocked caches. That was Cerny's point yesterday, at least.

Oh ... now I get it. This is actually very cool. Gpu can figure out which texels will be sampled without actually sampling them, so a virtual texturing system can then proceed to only load the exact tiles that are needed into vram. On top of that you can use it the same way in texture space shading to only shade the parts of the texture that are necessary.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dire...edback-some-useful-once-hidden-data-unlocked/

Oh no... more shiny robots :)

There was this quote:
Early Adopters asked for more
* Programmability inside AS Traversal

This can't be confused with inline RT. Does it confirm the traversal shader support i want?
They did not talk about it after that...

Artistically this demo might be quite garish, but at least it does the job of showing off the kind of things only RT can do. In that reggard, I think that was the most un-umbiguous demos of that thus far. Like: Yes, the whole fucking screen can be covered with reflective surfaces of both specular and glossy variety and things will look right. That means artists can throw watever content at this and you will get proper reflections there.

I'd rather get ugly but didactic demos than "what am I supposed to see here" ones like Metro's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back