Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

AngWsd2.png

So PS5 supports 2 types of legacy BC. Legacy meaning it runs the same clock speeds as the legacy device. PS5 native mode is to run older BC code at PS5 speeds. This is where they tested the 100 titles and some of them had issues, but they are confident that most of them will be running for launch on PS5 Native mode.
Yet the talk had no mentions of any separate modes, if they actually do have separate modes that will run all PS4/Pro games as they are, Cerny did horrible job on conveying it to the audience, instead giving the impression that they're not going to even have full backwards compatibility on launch.

Where on earth is this "Boost BC mode" and "Legacy BC mode" stuff coming from?
Cerny definitely talked nothing of the sorts, the "Boost" he refers to during the BC is PS5 SoCs high Boost clocks, which indicates that they don't have it running at lower clocks for BC.
They expect most of the Top 100 PS4 titles (by playtime) to be playable on PS5 on launch. Not "Playable in Boost BC mode" or anything else, just playable on PS5.

From the presentation Boost BC mode is for PS4 pro and Legacy BC mode is for PS4. At least that's what my impression from that slide told me.

EDIT: oops, I think I had it messed up?

Ironic people finally got what they wanted, a super fast SSD and BC but now they’re showing so much concerns on CUs, clocks, teraflops, etc. it only goes to show raw TF power and bandwidth are the utmost importance after all, let’s not lie to ourselves any more.
Ps5 is clearly a gimped design, it got its priorities wrong and it tried hard to catch up to the competition. Sony is lucky it didn’t dip to a single digit marketing wise but the hardware hype is just not there, in fact it’s on the depressing side. Maybe Mark Cerny should step down and let someone else take the reign of PS5 Pro? Yep, the Pro will be the only redemption if Sony go wild at it.
Unless of course their exclusives look so good they eclipse the Series X games, then I’ll have to readjust my judgement. But right now it’s not ultra terrible but ain’t no hype either.

It's not just about pretty graphics.

If there is nearly no loading times it will transform how we game and will open a lot of possibilities. It isn't just "this SSD is twice as fast" but an entirely new paradigm that will enable developers to make new things.

You will be able to load and unload textures on the fly with better compression and decompression technology, in game, while changing point of view.

It's not just about pretty graphics.

If there is nearly no loading times it will transform how we game and will open a lot of possibilities. It isn't just "this SSD is twice as fast" but an entirely new paradigm that will enable developers to make new things.

You will be able to load and unload textures on the fly with better compression and decompression technology, in game, while changing point of view.

Yeah the difference of instant loading and potentially what can be done with streaming will have a bigger impact for the usual console user than the slightly better image quality that the extra TFlops and bandwidth bring.

Yes I heard about highest LOD details further away, perfect quality texture. From an assets point of view at 4k it will be nearly perfect.
It does tie up with the feedback/rumours we got from some developers, who were raving about this supposed 'texel per second' (or whatever it was), meaning that textures on screen at any give time are pretty much always 'perfect'.

This SSD thing is my number 1 most exciting aspect of the PS5. The rest, whatever, it means nothing. Bandwith/TF will mean resolutions will be what they need to be.

The SSD wil make an actual, obviius difference apart from obviously faster loading.

Imagine Spiderman 2 on PS5 without the limitations that the game had to work around because of the ancient HDD.

Hell, any game with 'levels' would be revolutionised and annoying corridors (Hello, Bloodborne!).

It's the end of levels.

Who cares if Devs want levels.

Sony to ban all Levels in games. The end. Order reinstated.

Yeah the difference of instant loading and potentially what can be done with streaming will have a bigger impact for the usual console user than the slightly better image quality that the extra TFlops and bandwidth bring.

It does tie up with the feedback/rumours we got from some developers, who were raving about this supposed 'texel per second' (or whatever it was), meaning that textures on screen at any give time are pretty much always 'perfect'.

This SSD thing is my number 1 most exciting aspect of the PS5. The rest, whatever, it means nothing. Bandwith/TF will mean resolutions will be what they need to be.

The SSD wil make an actual, obviius difference apart from obviously faster loading.

Imagine Spiderman 2 on PS5 without the limitations that the game had to work around because of the ancient HDD.

Hell, any game with 'levels' would be revolutionised and annoying corridors (Hello, Bloodborne!).

It's the end of levels.

Who cares if Devs want levels.

Sony to ban all Levels in games. The end. Order reinstated.

Yeah, developers can go from "how much space for textures do I have for this entire scene?" to "how much space for textures do I have for the current field of view". It's a massive difference.

Thing is, maybe the xbox sx solution can do that too. Which would be nice of course. Then we have to wait until game engine are built with that in mind. With MS forcing back compatibility for a while, could be a problem for them.

And, you can always do ssd => ram transfert, you have to let the gpu/cpu access it too...

Yes this is what I would like to be explored. Is the series X storage speed good enough?

We know that the more powerful GPU part of series X won't have that big an impact other than image quality.

An another thing more baked destruction. I heard Sony have an internal presentation about the SSD, they have very detailed world and with the dualshock you can turn the camera maybe like a bullet time effect and the world fully destruct and after 90 degree and it moph into in a new world and continuing to move the camera it destruct too. I suppose there is 4 worlds and I was thinking we will see it yesterday but it was a very bad conference without demo.

EDIT: Not sure about the bullet time camera but he compare the demo to matrix, it is the only things I find logic but maybe it is not this.

Yeah, developers can go from "how much space for textures do I have for this entire scene?" to "how much space for textures do I have for the current field of view". It's a massive difference.
Agreed.

Also, I seem to remember that GG were showing off their Decima Engine when they made Horizon, and they had a system where data was streamed in from the HDD based on the camera angles, so it would (try to) load more data as you turned the camera.

Wanna bet Cerny spent a lot more time with them than other devs - for obvious reasons, that engine is Sony's shining moment this gen - and asked them what they believe would make more of an impact in the next gen?

An another thing more baked destruction. I heard Sony have an internal presentation about the SSD, they have very detailed world and with the dualshock you can turn the camera maybe like a bullet time effect and the world fully destruct and after 90 degree and it moph into in a new world and continuing to move the camera it destruct too. I suppose there is 4 worlds and I was thinking we will see it yesterday but it was a very bad conference without demo.

I agree. Surely they could of shown some kind of tech demo. Like the one you describe would of been fantastic to get the potential across.

I guess Oberon will dip below 10TF during regular play with variable frequency introduced, no? Because I am pretty sure they would have rather have locked 10TF across all consoles then have it variable.

Even 2-3% drop will result in chip running below 10TF, but this looks better on paper and people will not exactly notice a difference in performance if it drops few GFLOPs lower.

I guess Oberon will dip below 10TF during regular play with variable frequency introduced, no? Because I am pretty sure they would have rather have locked 10TF across all consoles then have it variable.

Even 2-3% drop will result in chip running below 10TF, but this looks better on paper and people will not exactly notice a difference in performance if it drops few GFLOPs lower.
According to Cerny it should run at max speed most of the time, but some specific loads are just so powerhungry there will be cases where it won't.

According to Cerny it should run at max speed most of the time, but some specific loads are just so powerhungry there will be cases where it won't.
I know, so like variable frame rate or variable resolution, it will drop in instances it cannot cope with clocks. It will not be noticeable to anyone playing, but sure does give extra bonus to put on spec sheet. I guess if they could have had 10TF all the time, that is what they would go with.

I am interested how much they pushed perf/watt with this thing.

I guess on the next State of Play we'll get to see some next gen PS5 games finally? Or will they actually host a more elaborated online direct for a proper reveal soon?

Reactions: JPT
Back