AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw. I'm looking at the "die shot" of Renoir to compare the size of CPU cores, but it's a complete mess:

jwnVvJiAvXSnDY7i.jpg

The "Zen 2 cores" on the left aren't Zen 2 cores, but copied-pasted Navi CUs from the infamous "Navi 10 die shot mock-up"! The GPU part seems to be overlayed by some kind of ancient GPU(?) die shot. The interfaces seems to be altered too (or may be copied-pasted from another image). It seems like technical marketing department at AMD got coronavirus and some cleaning lady had to do their job. WTF? :oops:

Btw. I'm looking at the "die shot" of Renoir to compare the size of CPU cores, but it's a complete mess:

jwnVvJiAvXSnDY7i.jpg

The "Zen 2 cores" on the left aren't Zen 2 cores, but copied-pasted Navi CUs from the infamous "Navi 10 die shot mock-up"! The GPU part seems to be overlayed by some kind of ancient GPU(?) die shot. The interfaces seems to be altered too (or may be copied-pasted from another image). It seems like technical marketing department at AMD got coronavirus and some cleaning lady had to do their job. WTF? :oops:

Sometimes IHVs make "fake" die shots that are meant to convey some idea of what the overall layout looks like without revealing more information than they're comfortable with.

Sometimes IHVs make "fake" die shots that are meant to convey some idea of what the overall layout looks like without revealing more information than they're comfortable with.
Yeah, Renoir is somehow denser than anything else AMD N7.
They did something there.

Is there some specific known reason for this? I mean, just calling it 7nm like AMD did doesn't tell much, they called Navi 10 just 7nm too
Pretty sure someone on twitter asked Schor and he said vanilla 7.
I'll try to find the post or DM tomorrow.

At the least that's promising for their desktop cards later this year. Well, assuming that the PS5 SOC isn't running as hot as a volcano.

Regards,
SB

Consoles need to guarantee performance over a lifetime and in a variety of environments, so I'd assume that comparable clocks are entirely possible on higher RDNA2 bins.

Ps5 will have up to 2.25 ghz clock speed for RDNA! Wtf?

AMD's implementation seems to have gone for more physical optimization or other measures to increase clocks. The PS5 presentation made note that while they wouldn't discuss the cooler until a teardown video, people would be pleased by what they would see. Since that is in comparison to historically variable and underwhelming thermal solutions, and the PS5's boost needs to be relatively temperature agnostic, that points to a more capable cooler than previously.

On that note, AMD's not having reference blower cards for RDNA2.

On that note, AMD's not having reference blower cards for RDNA2.
I wouldn't assume that to be related to RDNA2.
AMD just has a terrible history and reputation with default coolers Relegating that problem to 3rd parties just clears them of that criticism.
I'm guessing OEMs won't like that, but due to increased popularity AMD can now make more rules than they could in the past.

I wouldn't assume that to be related to RDNA2.
AMD just has a terrible history and reputation with default coolers Relegating that problem to 3rd parties just clears them of that criticism.
I'm guessing OEMs won't like that, but due to increased popularity AMD can now make more rules than they could in the past.
Probably not, but it seemed like a fun coincidence.
However, the lack of a standard blower doesn't mean AMD isn't setting heatsink thermal resistance and dissipation requirements for adequate thermal solutions.
Upping the minimum standard could give headroom that prior solutions didn't, and if that minimum is difficult to reach with the traditional AMD thermal solutions they would be conveniently missing this time around.

Mulling over what was said it is clear that the cooling system is made for the boost clock. It's just that if it doesn't need to boost to that level it won't run at that speed constantly.

Mulling over what was said it is clear that the cooling system is made for the boost clock. It's just that if it doesn't need to boost to that level it won't run at that speed constantly.
No, Cerny made it clear that it tries to run at 2.23 GHz whenever it can (which, according to Cerny, is most of the time), but certain loads simply need more power than others, which is why it won't reach it in every scenario.

Wonder if dgpu’s will even clock that high, hopefully they wont need to either, as a 36cu high end chip doesnt make sense. Maybe boost clocks over gameclock, but not most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back