Retail PS5 GPU Spec friendly wager [2019-12-10] *spawn*

Probably not a good idea really. The wagers are a bit of fun, but if someone gets branded a loser, it might become a bit sensitive and discourage people from making predictions. Remember, it never matters if you're right or wrong in B3D opinions or predictions. Unlike professional sports, It's not the winning but the taking part.

Last edited:
I have more questions on the speeds because of this snippet from the DF Article --

Introducing boost for PlayStation 5
It's really important to clarify the PlayStation 5's use of variable frequencies. It's called 'boost' but it should not be compared with similarly named technologies found in smartphones, or even PC components like CPUs and GPUs. There, peak performance is tied directly to thermal headroom, so in higher temperature environments, gaming frame-rates can be lower - sometimes a lot lower. This is entirely at odds with expectations from a console, where we expect all machines to deliver the exact same performance. To be abundantly clear from the outset, PlayStation 5 is not boosting clocks in this way. According to Sony, all PS5 consoles process the same workloads with the same performance level in any environment, no matter what the ambient temperature may be.

So how does boost work in this case? Put simply, the PlayStation 5 is given a set power budget tied to the thermal limits of the cooling assembly. "It's a completely different paradigm," says Cerny. "Rather than running at constant frequency and letting the power vary based on the workload, we run at essentially constant power and let the frequency vary based on the workload."

An internal monitor analyses workloads on both CPU and GPU and adjusts frequencies to match. While it's true that every piece of silicon has slightly different temperature and power characteristics, the monitor bases its determinations on the behaviour of what Cerny calls a 'model SoC' (system on chip) - a standard reference point for every PlayStation 5 that will be produced.​

This is basically the opposite of the Hovis Method. The Hovis Method allowed all Xs to run at the same frequencies with individualized power profiles. Essentially, whats being described by Sony is what consoles have done traditionally outside of the variable frequencies.

To me, I interpret Sony's method as an aggressive standard power profile that uses variable frequency to make sure that a game that can stress the gpu/cpu, doesn't readily shut down the console. Backing off frequency by 2% leading to a 10% power drop seems like the PS5 is using 10% more power for just ~200 more Mflops of gpu performance.

The Hovis method seems like a strategy to expand yield and reliability while Sony's seem like a strategy to up performance.

Last edited:
Probably not a good idea really. The wagers are a bit of fun, but if someone gets branded a loser, it might become a bit sensitive and discourage people from making predictions. Remember, it never matters if you're right or wrong in B3D opinions or predictions. Unlike professional sports, It's not the winning but the taking part.

You all should do what I and my friends used to do as kids. We would go to the candy store and buy as much candy as possible. We would then use the candy as poker chips (we learned from our fathers who regularly played on the weekends). Once someone won all the candy, we spilt the candy evenly and enjoyed ourselves. LOL.

So take all the winnings and split it evenly among the wagers. Everybody wins!!! Yippeee

Last edited:
The Hovis method seems like a strategy to expand yield and reliability while Sony's seem like a strategy to up performance.

Doesn't the Hovis method up the voltage where needed on certain chips? Wouldn't that effect reliability negatively on those chips?

Doesn't the Hovis method up the voltage where needed on certain chips? Wouldn't that effect reliability negatively on those chips?
The Hovis method build a power profile for each SOC and they control the component power to manage the SOC. This should allow a greater yield of chips in possibly and also those of higher quality grades will run at a lower power profile.
Overall you'll see some xbox one x, run at higher power and some at lower power. Some will have more fans running and others quieter.

I don't know how this power method will dictate yield. I don't know what happens when you get a shitty yield. Do you get less frequency? No clue. They seem adamant that everyone will get the same performance, but what if you need more than 100 W on a particular chip to achieve the same frequency as another chip?

Do we toss that chip? If yes, than yields and testing for yields are going to be more expensive.

Hovis allows you to use those chips without forcing every other chip to run at such high voltages which would affect reliability across the board.

Back