General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

I wild idea I had.
Sony is using chiplets in this, right? Looks like they went the chiplet way instead of monolithic.
So, about all those old talks of Navi being multi-gpu... what if Sony is predicting a "PS5 Pro" three years from now and their chip already has some space reserved to add another chiplet doubling the GPU? Not only would be possible, this way would also be cheaper?
It's possible, but one would expect that they would have mentioned it if they did. The slides don't necessarily indicate actual chiplets but rather just separating portions of one chip (especially since they do call it "chip")

I fully expect XSX to run at better resolution and/or frame rate for multiplat games.

Sure, but the resolution advantage is going to be even smaller than the current generation. For the vast majority of gamers, it's going to look basically the same.

Regards,
SB

Sure, but the resolution advantage is going to be even smaller than the current generation. For the vast majority of gamers, it's going to look basically the same.

Regards,
SB
Depends where that boost clock lands most of the time. At the low end of the boost the difference is actually larger.

However the difference between 1800p and 2160 is probably harder to spot than 1080 and 900.

Sure, but the resolution advantage is going to be even smaller than the current generation.
Maybe not, if 'MS patented VRS' really means it's exclusive to SX.

Edit: speaking of hard numbers - personally i would not notice the difference at crazy res near 4K

2.23Ghz is going to scare some yes. Previously 2000mhz for the ps5 was seen as impossible and fantasy.
on a different subject.... Is this for real? This doesn't sound like John.

Are people going to care about 1-2 seconds of load time. I've installed my fav games on a NvME (2,8GB/s) and RE2 Remake loads in 2 seconds, literally.

No consoles for me, maybe Lockhart. I shall wait for the 3000 series -nVidia-, 'cos my 9 teraflops 4 years old GTX 1080 runs games at 1440p 60fps and more very well.

PS5 will have next gen exclusives built to take full advantage of the hardware with no concern for last gen in design.

So will XSX ;) HellBlade 2 gave us a glimpse of what's going to run on that 12.1TF monster. What did Sony show?

Are people going to care about 1-2 seconds of load time. I've installed my fav games on a NvME (2,8GB/s) and RE2 Remake loads in 2 seconds, literally.

It's as real as the people thinking that the GPU in PS5 will only clock down by 2% at the max, and then calling someone not able to read. Having no logic at all is worse, i think. They would never put any energy and resources in downclocking 2%. When Cerny said 'by downclocking a couple procent', he didn't say it was a downclock of max 2%, it was clearly an example. They have oh so much wiggle room now, by saying 3.5ghz/2.23ghz max.

All the fast loading and instant accessibility will make a difference in first party titles, but multi-platforms still have PCs to contend with.

this starts sounding more and more like Cell. I mean, only exclusives are going to take advantage of that "super" speed, and for what reason.....

Agree that it is a more sane choice to have not something exotic, as more titles will actually make use of it to the fullest. Now that solution will only be noticeable in 1st party titles from Sony. Which aren't many in the grand scheme of things.

With seemingly sony exclusives landing on PC, the direct storage coming to pc is a nice thing.

But it also loads fast on console so it's maybe not the best case.

You could probably run it on a drive with half that speed and get the same load times too, that's the exciting thing about PS5, it's SSD will actually see a real world uplift where as on PC there's a point where there's no difference between drives due to bottlenecks. Linus compared drives of different speeds in a YouTube video and people couldn't tell the difference and some even thought the PC with the slowest drive felt the fastest.

I see it less like the Cell and more like a feature you cannot design a multiplat game around because the competition and 90% of PCs dont have it.

Sony's platform is selling more 3rd party games than xbox and PC games combined*, so unless there's an incredible migration towards other platforms (unlikely due to subscriptions and BC) if the PS5 supports it then most expected copies will be sold in a system with that feature.

So expect this to be picked up by 3rd parties.

* Save for very rare exceptions like PUBG and Minecraft IIRC.

Expect the generation of shoehorned open world games on PS5, yoo-hoo
It's the other way around: if you're using a fast SSD with dedicated hardware for decompression, then there's no reason to split your game into levels.

Sony's platform is selling more 3rd party games than xbox and PC games combined*, so unless there's an incredible migration towards other platforms (unlikely due to subscriptions and BC) if the PS5 supports it then most expected copies will be sold in a system with that feature.

So expect this to be picked up by 3rd parties.

* Save for very rare exceptions like PUBG and Minecraft IIRC.
Ps4 doesn't have this.

Call me when there are 100million ps5s in homes.

Ps4 doesn't have this.

Call me when there are 100million ps5s in homes.
As I wrote: unless there's an incredible migration. We saw that on PS2->PS3. I don't see any reason why most PS4 users won't transition to the PS5 so far:
- No Cell-like tech creating major development headaches
- No substantial difference in processing capabilities
- No always-on, camera always pointed at you, big-brother tech
- No TV TV SPORTS TV marketing push

I could be wrong, though.

But at the moment, a smart approach from a 3rd party dev would be to give more importance to the PS5, since that is at the moment the platform more likely to give you more profits.

Back