Retail PS5 GPU Spec friendly wager [2019-12-10] *spawn*

It is a 399 dollars machine for sure. They cut cost notably on memory bandwidth. More than the Tflops it is the memory which show how they cut corner for PS5 and like I said compressed the SSD speed is above 7 GB/s.

Variable frequencies up to 2.2ghz ? Has Cerny lost his mind ?

Perhaps for RDNA2, SeriesX's 1.8Ghz is within the new range of conservative / mobile clocks, whereas the PS5's 2.23GHz will be more indicative of AMD's upcoming desktop cards.

AMD claimed an improvement of 50% in efficiency for RDNA2. The clock / power efficiency curves are definitely very different with RDNA2.

Yey, I got that right on my wager! Although I went for 48 CUs...

I'm going to bet £10 on 48 CUs @ max 2.0Ghz on release hardware. Max because developers would be able to balance GPU frequency with CPU frequency according to needs, in order to maximize performance per watt, rather than running everything at full tilt. Usage of fast SSD storage could help mitigate performance impacts of doing this on the fly. Expecting developers to rarely use the 2.0 GHz outside of in game cutscenes where CPU is less busy. Average in-game clock would be 1.6Ghz. Do I have any source? None whatsoever :D

Last edited:
Retail PS5 36 OR 40 CUs. Range:1.8 to 2.2ghz.
I vote against.
$10 of donation if I lose.

I won, but fuck it.
In my follow-up post I claimed I expected 11.1 TF so I'll pay as well.

Hey losing is losing. No one will remember the details of the bet :mrgreen:
He didn't lose by 30Mhz. He gave a considerably large range with an upper limit (2.2GHz) he considered to be near impossible to achieve. This limit was broken against the expectations.

Eeerm...

If you want to Donate, there's a link on the top bar in between Forums and Members, call Donate. Follow its link and you'll see available donations, what level they're currently at and who the top donations come from.

There's no Donate button in my top bar...

So the only way I can donate is if I cancel my subscription and start a new one? Assuming I wasn't charged already during this year?

Hold off on doing anything right now. I did page Rys in this thread and on the Slack channel. Hope all is well with him and he's able to respond.

I need to validate the account upgrades are working properly and see if they were triggered for ProElite and Global. I don't even know if I can see that portion of the admin consoles. I do now from my other sites, there is some time lag with getting notified of cleared payments and then the system applying the upgrades.

For @Rys housekeeping and transparancy, I manually added the secondary Subscriber group to Proelite and Globalisateur since they didn't have it applied but had the entries in the user upgrade log.

Whew, that was a close one hugh...

And to think I gave you the chance to cover your ass on that one:

Kidding aside, your terms are, if I understand you correctly, that you are willing to bet that the final PS5 will have more than 36CUs and no more tham 40, and also near 2.0Ghz.
We just gotta set a definite range for that clock frequency there. Does 1.75Ghz - 2.25GHz seem fair to you?

Retail PS5 36 OR 40 CUs. Range:1.8 to 2.2ghz.

The irony, man...

Back