General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
So, let this be the thread about speculating outside of technical focus about what things mean now that we know what each system will be.

Anyone want to take a go at both system prices, even if on a relative price scale?

I am not knowledgeable on the subject as much, but in general it seems like the Series X has an edge on CPU frequency, GPU CU count and total TF, Memory Bandwidth whereas the PS5 has an edge on IO IO Throughput and unsure what Boost Mode means in the total performance.
On in all it is powerful but for someone like me it sounds like Series X has a clear edge but wonder what the real performance mean and if any of Sony's custom solutions minimize the gap enough.
We also have no idea about other aspects that make the graphics. Microsoft implemented a lot of enhancing goodies that Sony did not mention

I am not knowledgeable on the subject as much, but in general it seems like the Series X has an edge on CPU frequency, GPU CU count and total TF, Memory Bandwidth whereas the PS5 has an edge on IO IO Throughput and unsure what Boost Mode means in the total performance.
On in all it is powerful but for someone like me it sounds like Series X has a clear edge but wonder what the real performance mean and if any of Sony's custom solutions minimize the gap enough.
We also have no idea about other aspects that make the graphics. Microsoft implemented a lot of enhancing goodies that Sony did not mention
It feels like a repeat of last gen with the roles swapped. Sony is talking about audio like MS was talking about it last gen. Based on everything mentioned, I have doubts on how much customization either of them had compared to what AMD would provide by default.

I'm really thinking there isn't a huge difference in BOM. It's quite confusing actually. I can imagine both being the same price - Sony may not want to price themselves cheaper and look to be the 'budget' option. Sony also have a pricey controller - we haven't seen MS's yet. Possibly, PS5 may have some performance tied up with that audio, such that, possibly, given the same game, some XBSX resources are going on audio processing that PS5's Tempest Engine takes care of, equalising performance across the TF divide. But until we know what MS's solution is and if Tempest is just Sony slapping a name on an AMD tech, it's anyone's guess.

I don't see MS pricing the Xbox $100 more than PS5 like some are expecting. I wasn't sure at first but I think the rumor that Sony is trying to wait for MS to set a price is probably true now. By most estimates there likely isn't a huge difference here in BOM costs between the two systems. It would be amazing if both of these systems were $399 or ever $449. Personally I'm predicting they will be the same price at anywhere from $399- most likely $499.

So about game loading and the end user experience ... The PS5 didn't explicitly mention instant resume of recent games and with how quickly they can load, I wouldn't expect them to put any effort into it. However from the end user perspective it may come down to how each game loads and how quickly a user can navigate the menus to select a saved game to load, So the PS5 is faster to get to game menu, but Series X is faster to get into the game?

Pure speculation here.
  • Consoles will be comparably priced if not priced exactly the same.
  • Multiplatform games will look and perform basically the same.
  • XBSX will have a significant advantage WRT to BC support and enhanced graphics.
    • Microsoft, if you have convincing ML HDR for Crimson Skies, I might just get your console. I'll end up regretting it (buying a console for just one game), but that's a big enough carrot that I might bite.
  • PS5 will load games faster.
Yup, very safe speculation here. :p

Regards,
SB

If typical load times are going to be under 10 seconds, I doubt it matters who is loading faster.

Sony might be able to better leverage streaming as a boost, but I suspect they will need to build in some tolerances (ssd speeds can degrade) so the benefit may be limited.

Watched presentation, not read any threads so forgive me if already put out there already.

It's actually possible that xsx ssd cartridges could end up cheaper or same ball park as ps5 nvme drives.

The drives that need to work in ps5 are a lot faster therefore more expansive.
Not taking into account really needing to be validated by Sony. You could buy a cheap fast one that degrades too much under load/temp.

Got a feeling the assumption that the cartridge is lot more expensive due to being proprietary could end up wrong.

Pure speculation here.
  • Consoles will be comparably priced if not priced exactly the same.
  • Multiplatform games will look and perform basically the same.
  • XBSX will have a significant advantage WRT to BC support and enhanced graphics.
    • Microsoft, if you have convincing ML HDR for Crimson Skies, I might just get your console. I'll end up regretting it (buying a console for just one game), but that's a big enough carrot that I might bite.
  • PS5 will load games faster.
Yup, very safe speculation here. :p

Regards,
SB
If RT performance is tied to the CUs then, I would disagree with this. As Cerny says, perhaps very hard to fill more CUs and quite a few advantages of having a higher clock speed, but it may not be hard to fill CUs for RT at all.

If RT performance is tied to the CUs then, I would disagree with this. As Cerny says, perhaps very hard to fill more CUs and quite a few advantages of having a higher clock speed, but it may not be hard to fill CUs for RT at all.
Gunna be hard to fill the smaller number of CUs too with the cut in memory bandwidth.

I fully expect 1st party developers to take full advantage of any differences. I don't expect multiplatform developers to do the same.

Regards,
SB

I wild idea I had.
Sony is using chiplets in this, right? Looks like they went the chiplet way instead of monolithic.
So, about all those old talks of Navi being multi-gpu... what if Sony is predicting a "PS5 Pro" three years from now and their chip already has some space reserved to add another chiplet doubling the GPU? Not only would be possible, this way would also be cheaper?

Back