Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I'll say it now. The difference in multi plats between the two consoles will be similar to what we see today with the PRO and the X1X. Feel free to call me out if wrong.

It'll be less pronounced because the GPU performance is within 15-20% range and bandwidth difference is within 25%. It's not as vast as the 4Pro's deltas of 42.85% GPU and 49.54% bandwidth.

EDIT: underestimated the 4Pro GPU deficit at 25%

Last edited:
That SSD speed combined with the compression innovations etc and work on all the related bottlenecks, it is so dry on paper but in practice I think it is a very, very big deal. 5.5GB/s and with all those system optimizations ... Wow. With the way this works, it’s basically a huge increase in system memory.

It will be interesting to see though how this will be bottlenecked by the actual limited space. On the one hand games can be smaller because they need less replication. On the other hand at these speeds games could be 10-100 times the size they are now in terms of assets, except that would mean you could only install one game at a time.

It also suggests that VR headsets can become cheaper for PS5. Will be interesting to see how it turns out. In the end the next gen of VR is what I am most excited about!

And will be interesting if we indeed get personalized audio profiles for spatial audio.

The lack of anything tangible or visible made this a tad boring nevertheless, but that SSD speed is very exciting.

Pretty sure he didn't say, but I assume game archiving is in. That's perhaps an OS feature, so not talked about.

Here's what he said. Not quite clear but it's implied by his language - emphasis mine:

Our 5.5 gigabytes a second really should translate into something like a hundred times faster I/O than PS4 and allow the dream of no load screens and super-fast streaming to become a reality. Having said that expandability of our SSD is going to be quite important, flash is costly and you may very well want to add storage to whatever we put in the console. Now the kind of storage you need depends on how you're going to use it.

If you have an extensive PlayStation 4 library and you'd like to take advantage of backwards compatibility to play those games on PlayStation 5 then a large external hard drive is ideal you can leave your games on the hard drive and play them directly from there thus saving the pricier SSD storage for your PlayStation 5 titles or you can copy your active PlayStation 4 titles to the SSD. If your purpose in adding more storage is to play PlayStation 5 titles though ideally you would add to your SSD storage we will be supporting certain m2 SSDs these are internal drives that you can get on the open market and install in a bay in the PlayStation 5 as for which ones we support.​

Suggesting the less-ideal option is to put PS5 games on the HDD and, presumably transfer to SSD when you want to play!?! :???:

Worse if RT is involved. The wider GPU will win here owing the to more RT cores.

Also If PS5 lacks VRS or ML, then Xbox can have a significant enough advantage.
Sure there isnt VRS and mesh shaders. They mentiond geometry engine and primitive shaders, the Vega thing. I hope at least this time they are functional.
By the way the tempest 3d block is not clear if isnt using CU shaders, would be the tip on the cake.
Not even a bespoke thing in the GPU except for the compatibility work.

Is not as powerful, but a failure? There a 14% difference in raw power. We'll see how each of them do in multiplat games.

Thats boost clocks, you can expect everything between 9 to 10TF depending on the situation.

10.3 vs 12 wont even result a resolution drop, maybe some settings higher on Xbox that’s it?
Not sure how much benefit ssd would bring for ps5 in graphics tho.

The 10 TF is the max clock though, ditto the above.

Talking about Dreams.... the dream is over lol.
Oh man, it's really 9TF with boost.
CPU is 100MHz slower than Sex Box.
Lower RAM bandwidth that have to be shared between the CPU and GPU unlike the dedicated lanes on Sex Box.
The SDD is nice, but all the transistors used for that probably subtracted from the GPU, and specially... it's good that the consumer can buy a standard SSD for expandable storage, but the money Microsoft will make with their proprietary cards should help subside the bigger GPU.
And not talk about back compatibility with the PS3-2?

The CPU in PS5 is max freq 3.5ghz, max freq for XSX is 3.8 sustained. I have no idea regarding the CPU but if its like the GPU, its not sustained 3.5 even.

What a dissapointment. 36 CUs, 256 bits bandwidth, shitty RT...yes ssd is double than XSX, and what is the difference between waiting for 8 seconds or 4?. And what is worst that variable clock is a last time fudge to not look even worse than XSX. They went cheap and it shows.
Worse GPU, worse CPU, worse bandwidth and a SSD faster not even reaching 1 Tflop. The 3d audio thing is funny, they already advising if you have a different HTRF you will see no difference.

It is a dissapointment if you expected too much, otherwise there's nothing wrong with the machine. You shouldnt compare it to the XSX either, different platforms different games, different reasons to own.

Also If PS5 lacks VRS or ML, then Xbox can have a significant enough advantage.

VRS and ML are in MS's hands, besides the much higher cpu clock and gpu power advantage. Sony got the SSD speed on their side. XSX ssd speed isn't shabby either, their software stack might be superior.

Both consoles are so close to each other that it's not very realistic to even fight over which is better. XBox likely has little bit more pixels and framerate, ps5 likely has little bit more texture detail/less popup. And it all really, really comes to content and optimizations, not so much about raw power at all. And whatever the math today is there could be pro models later on and also there is pc+gamepass.

It's going to be interesting to see the pricing of those consoles. My gut feeling is sony has managed cost better, but who knows in the end,... And MS has infinite pockets to subsidize if they so wish.

Overall I'm super happy both MS and Sony raised the bar. It's great time to be a gamer no matter which platform(s) one likes/dislikes.

I see the boost as distributing a constant power limit between CPU and GPU. Wanna faster GPU - reduce CPU load. Sounds more consistent than boost stuff on PC.
Serious work on HRTF audio. I don't know anything about this, except it is difficult. Curious what they achieve here. Really accurate audio simulation seems totally out of reach during my lifetime.
No detailed word on RT features, but no secret sauce. Meaning MS will scale ahead due to GPU performance accordingly.
No games yet :( but that's ok. It's just tech talk and not the time for celebrations.

All in all we get very similar systems again, which is fine to me.

Congrats to the gospel team. (Let me know how 'Insiders' wind out of this now... :) )

Suggesting the less-ideal option is to put PS5 games on the HDD and, presumably transfer to SSD when you want to play!?! :???:
Dont tell me that, i understood that was for PS4 games. It would be already incredible, and deny the so much talked greated worlds...

Dont tell me that, i understood that was for PS4 games. It would be already incredible, and deny the so much talked greated worlds...
Don't shoot the messenger, Mark Cerny said it. It does sound though like they've not bottomed out all the options yet.

I remember the PS4 reveal in February 2013 when they emphasised suspend and resume and that didn't arrive until March 2015 with firmware update 2.5 - almost eighteen months after launch and over two year after the reveal!

From DF article:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...s-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision

'In his presentation, Mark Cerny freely admits that CPU and GPU won't always be running at 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz respectively. "When that worst case game arrives, it will run at a lower clock speed. But not too much lower, to reduce power by 10 per cent it only takes a couple of percent reduction in frequency'

Where does that 10% land us, on a teraflop scale?

Another thing, with the PS5, will we get expension cards like the xsx will offer?

Here's what he said. Not quite clear but it's implied by his language - emphasis mine:

Our 5.5 gigabytes a second really should translate into something like a hundred times faster I/O than PS4 and allow the dream of no load screens and super-fast streaming to become a reality. Having said that expandability of our SSD is going to be quite important, flash is costly and you may very well want to add storage to whatever we put in the console. Now the kind of storage you need depends on how you're going to use it.

If you have an extensive PlayStation 4 library and you'd like to take advantage of backwards compatibility to play those games on PlayStation 5 then a large external hard drive is ideal you can leave your games on the hard drive and play them directly from there thus saving the pricier SSD storage for your PlayStation 5 titles or you can copy your active PlayStation 4 titles to the SSD. If your purpose in adding more storage is to play PlayStation 5 titles though ideally you would add to your SSD storage we will be supporting certain m2 SSDs these are internal drives that you can get on the open market and install in a bay in the PlayStation 5 as for which ones we support.​

Then how is nobody going to design a game with larger, better, faster loading worlds if you can play from an slower SSD?.

From DF article:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...s-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision

'In his presentation, Mark Cerny freely admits that CPU and GPU won't always be running at 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz respectively. "When that worst case game arrives, it will run at a lower clock speed. But not too much lower, to reduce power by 10 per cent it only takes a couple of percent reduction in frequency'

Where does that 10% land us, on a teraflop scale?

It depends if you take a "couple percent" in reduction literally.

Back