Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Yeah, what's stock AMD then? How come no one bothered to explain it by now?

Also the PS5 will be significantly slower than Xbox RT wise owing to the compute gap. I didn't see any mention of VRS or Mesh Shaders or ML either.
Aren't those standard on RDNA2?

Weird presentation for sure, but surely there are some assumptios that are safe to make considering it is, after all, an RDNA2 GPU.

Having to devote compute resources to 3D audio has always put it first on the chopping block. When push comes to shove I'm sure that'll be the case this generation also, especially if there's enough of a performance delta between ps5, seriesX, and PC where they're having to throw every last bit of grunt to game logic and graphics to make them look roughly the same.

So with Sony PS5 having ability for consumer M2 NVME drives that meet as yet to be determined threshold, will those too suffer from the heat related slowdowns that DF covered on the SeriesX deep-dive? If so, what will be their throughput after hitting the slowdowns?

I was quite amused by the fact after his long (10, 15? minute) chat on audio, and all the individual mapping they were doing, he said that a number of people couldn't actually tell the difference.
I also felt it was a weird presentation, too lightweight and waffly for a dev presentation, too dry for a general consumption one.

Ho hum.

So with Sony PS5 having ability for consumer M2 NVME drives that meet as yet to be determined threshold, will those too suffer from the heat related slowdowns that DF covered on the SeriesX deep-dive? If so, what will be their throughput after hitting the slowdowns?
Variable load times for PS5.

I also felt it was a weird presentation, too lightweight and waffly for a dev presentation, too dry for a general consumption one.

It felt like a pretty boilerplate GDC keynote. Very technical-sounding for a casual audience, but not entirely useful for any developer. Basically a marketing-oriented talk.

That was interesting, especially reading the comments on here, at the same time as I was looking at the stream.

My initial impression is that Sony looked at what will make a better game experience now that graphics (within a reasonable price and power envelope) has plateaued somewhat, while MS just went as high and wide in every direction they could.
Maybe artisan vs brute force approach.

Will be interesting to see if Cerny got it right (last time 18 CU more balanced system) or if the POWAH approach from MS is the better choice. I guess it comes down to how easy it easy to eak out performance from each console and how fast to market the games can come.
I have no clue in regards to boost clock or reliability, I defer to experts on here, but it seems nobody on here likes Cerny's "boost solution" to make the TF gap smaller on paper.

But what is cool, we have similar consoles, with some different approaches / priorities, be interesting to see what works best.

Depending on how they design the expansion bay, I think. They could put hestsink on the cradle or something.

Wanted to point out that the MS SSD expansion may well not be that proprietary. Seagate was etched on the clip and it was being discussed, not by MS, that maybe MS would simply allow other manufacturers to build to the spec. Meaning - price may not be some ridiculous point set by MS to make money ala' a peripheral.

When the camera zoomed back I kept looking at the silhouettes of the 'people'. I thought I going mad but they sure as hell looked like cutouts. :LOL:

I saw one move at some point. Guy on the left picked his nose or something. Thought they were a CGI loop of some kind.

Fidelity doesn't matter. It's the positioning and using audio to appreciate the game-space. It's provides a real advantage in Apex Legends. I can hear hidden locations pretty well. That combined with traced audio will provide a new way to interface the game world using one of our primary senses which, to date, has been mostly ignored and abused.

I remember that dev doc from Bungie years ago. The sound engineer mentioned how "Feels like you got shat on." and "Oh it's just audio. They will figure it out in the end."

That's in stark contrast to what NVIDIA has stated and showcased in practice with RTX. I don't believe this order.
For rough, realistic reflections, it's definitely the case that you can trace broad GI more cheaply. Rough reflections require multiple rays and evaluation of surface shaders (shader LOD will help). GI can be very coarse and doesn't need sophisticated surface shading for traced surfaces. You can also use more hacks in traced GI. So I'm siding with Cerny on this one. I think he's reported on what they've found in their evaluation and he's communicated that to the dev community about what they can hope to achieve.

So they don’t yet know what drives will be able to handle the system, or even fit (his own words). So. How do they know how big of an expansion port they will need?

Do they..... DO THEY STILL NOT KNOW WHAT THE PS5 LOOKS LIKE?

10.3 vs 12 wont even result a resolution drop, maybe some settings higher on Xbox that’s it?
Not sure how much benefit ssd would bring for ps5 in graphics tho.
It might be very close to 1/1 in GPU performance due to 22% faster back-end.
Biggest difference should be memory bandwidth. That's the one instance where the Series X has a very clear advantage. Sony has the advantage of having all its memory using the whole bus, but I think the SeriesX's approach is higher performant in the end. Cerny claims the L1 and L2 caches at higher clocks will have an impact in effective bandwidth, which is probably true, but I doubt it'll have as much impact as a significantly higher system memory bandwidth.
The faster SSD could also mean they get to stream more stuff without caching it on the GDDR6 pool too, so that could make some small difference.

I wonder if just using 2GB chips on all the 10 channels would have been much of a difference in BoM. The Series X getting 20GB of GDDR6 at 320bit would have put a lot more pressure onto Sony. Perhaps more than the TFLOPs difference.

For rough, realistic reflections, it's definitely the case that you can trace broad GI more cheaply. Rough reflections require multiple rays and evaluation of surface shaders (shader LOD will help). GI can be very coarse and doesn't need sophisticated surface shading for traced surfaces.
Maybe, but how can GI be less intensive than Shadows?

He said the GPU is based on RDNA2.

Around 30%.

And that 30% produces same looking games, with a resolution advantage on X.

What do we have now? 15% or so? Meh.

They’re basically the same, one will run at imperceptibly higher res. The other will load games and levels imperceptibly faster.

Boring.

Can we talk games now?

Back