Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

There isn't any argument made here IMO, because you are basically describing any system requiring cooling...

Any cooling system degrades, even PC builds if they never get cleaned. Ultimately. the amount of heat to dissipate is directly proportional to power consumption. So as long as the boost is budgeted by power consumption — which it should be, given that the details sound no different from cutting-edge AMD APU power management (minus device chassis thermal caps) — there is still a fixed ceiling to plan cooling capacity against.
The different is, in most consoles, the clocks are conservative so they had headroom. Having boost clock removes headroom and it will hit that problem so much sooner.

The additional 3.5GB designated as standard ram for the Xbox can be filled up pretty quickly with things that don't need the full bandwidth though. At least that's what MS engineers claimed.

Just like a PC.

Likely the difference in sony boost versus pc boost is that sony boost can work independent of temperature. It's only dependent on the power draw. At least that's how I understood what cerny spoke. Same boost is always achievable on all consoles, but if some game hammers cpu real hard the gpu has less power available and hence less clocks. This means each consoles boosts always the same way independent of ambient temp/chip quality.

I'm not a native English speaker, but that's how I understood it.

A lot of..."interesting" decisions made for this console. Their custom SSD hardware seems very cool but only 825GB? Also the storage expansion doesn't seem very straightforward (basically he said wait to hear from us on recommend drives).
He said they did some analysis and wanting to keep cost low, went with a good middle-ground in capacity for most people. But it's easy enough to store older games on an external HDD like you can now with current consoles. With regard to the more circumspect rule what NVMe you can expand the existing system with, I assume that this is to avoid the issue that Insomniac faced when they had to limit Spider-Man to stream 20mb/sec because some drives in PS4s really are that slow.

Also 3D audio seems very experimental...

None of the audio stuff interests me, too many rock/metal concerts in the 1980s and 1990s destroyed any ability to appreciate really good audio fidelity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than the selection from five he spoke about?
He went on to talk about people sending in photos of their ears! And working on this problem over the coming years. A crude approximation isn't going to give the presence desired. That's quite a significant hurdle to overcome IMO.

Simulating their boost isn't hard.

Go into bios
Find current setting: set current setting to a hard number
Go into OS
Run a stress test
Once that current level is the clocks will drop
Once below current level, the clocks will ramp up

A lot of..."interesting" decisions made for this console. Their custom SSD hardware seems very cool but only 825GB? Also the storage expansion doesn't seem very straightforward (basically he said wait to hear from us on recommend drives).

Still confused about the overall chip? It's basically power-throttled or something?

Also 3D audio seems very experimental...

That's what I get too. It will power throttle when a game utilize the cpu and gpu more efficiently.

The ssd, that's probably why MS go with proprietary one. If PS5 ssd bay also provides a heatsink for the user expandable one, the design could be pretty complicated. Maybe with springs? Maybe will be slotted in like old NES? so it will be able to accommodate tiny variance in height/thickness while keeping the heatsink in contact with the ssd.

Or they go the easy way, where it will have a removable housing like ps4 hdd. But this time the housing also have heatsink stuck on it. So more thickness / height variance will be easier to accommodate.

As for the 3d audio, with cerny even throwing things like uploading a video of your ears... Yeah.. Sounds still in early stages for the hrtf profile selection

None of the audio stuff interests me, too many rock/metal concerts in the 1980s and 1990s destroyed any ability to appreciate really good audio fidelity.
Fidelity doesn't matter. It's the positioning and using audio to appreciate the game-space. It's provides a real advantage in Apex Legends. I can hear hidden locations pretty well. That combined with traced audio will provide a new way to interface the game world using one of our primary senses which, to date, has been mostly ignored and abused.

Stock AMD RT like the XBSX is probably the worst news.

stock AMD, same as MS. Cerny saw a game game reflectiions with decent frame rate, forget about lighting and shadows.
Um...in his scale of RT pressure, reflections were further up on the power requirements than lighting and shadows. It went Audio > Global Illumination > Shadows > Reflections > Full Raytracing.

I think hybrid rendering will make lighting with traced AO effective, and that should be a real differentiator in realism. If we just have area lights and shadows as standard, I think that'll be good enough in the main.

stock AMD, same as MS. Cerny saw a game game reflectiions with decent frame rate, forget about lighting and shadows.
Yeah, what's stock AMD then? How come no one bothered to explain it by now?

Also the PS5 will be significantly slower than Xbox RT wise owing to the compute gap. I didn't see any mention of VRS or Mesh Shaders or ML either.

I really like that we have two different approaches. However, Sony has a clear disadvantage, MS chose the way most PCs work.
More power, without much innovation. Will 3D audio and the custom SSD solution be used by 3rd party games? TIme will tell.

Yeah, what's stock AMD then? How come no one bothered to explain it by now?

Also the PS5 will be significantly slower than Xbox RT wise owing to the compute gap. I didn't see any mention of VRS or Mesh Shaders or ML either.

He said the GPU is based on RDNA2.

What's the power gap percent wise between the PS4 Pro and X1X?

Around 30%.

Fidelity isn't the problem, it's about the 3d/spatial aspect that's important to me and I think lots of people underrate it at the moment but it will be one of those things that once it becomes the norm that if you let people hear the way it is now compared to it will be a massive difference.

Back