Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Yes, I'm the one who needs to cope with a 15% difference in compute throughput (with a significantly faster back-end) instead of your dear promised 33%.

Salt much?
Don't worry, it'll get better with time.

Github Inquisition team constantly mocked my posts suggesting over 2GHz clocks. Their whole bullying constantly revolved around the 33% compute throughput difference.
I can get you the quotes, when I get the time. Assuming goalposts aren't moved after I do.
I think after launch when we get some reports on sustained clocks it will be right back to 33%.

Sounds like Boost was bolted on in order to achieve +10TF. There's no way it was designed like that from the beginning??

No way. Folks were disbelieving the GPU would even run at 2Ghz, 2.23Ghz isn't some bonus your fab can just churn out. The chips were engineered to run at that speed. You can't just dial chips to 11.

The difference in power is negligible. It might even be ps5 with faster io has slightly better geometry/textures/less popup in games. And who knows how audio processing adds to experience, especially in vr. At least for me the optimal is get ps5 for sony content and 2-3years time upgrade pc to enjoy gamepass/multiplat in config consoles can't touch.

Holy crap, this is terrible boost system imo.
At the moment, we shouldn't judge that. Cerny was bullish about their cooling solution and said most of the time the GPU is at or around that 2.2 GHz. Let's see the whole system before saying it's a poor or questionable design. Cerny likes clocked faster as he reckons 10 TF higher clocks is better real-world performance than 10 TF wider at lower clocks. Let's see what his final, complete solution is before passing judgement.

No way. Folks were disbelieving the GPU would even run at 2Ghz, 2.23Ghz isn't some bonus your fab can just churn out. The chips were engineered to run at that speed. You can't just dial chips to 11.

So Yes Way it was designed to use their Boost method from the beginning? Double negative?

Tommy McClain

Yeah, but it will only matter in exclusives right? When 3rd party goes to make games they will target XBSX SSD speeds right??

This is what always happens. XSX will have short loads times, PS5 will have second-or-so load times - I will still only believe this when I see it. A bit like suspend/resume!

So Yes Way it was designed to use their Boost method from the beginning?
I don't know about from the beginning but there is no way Sony/AMD/TSMC managed to crank out a high number of APU running at up to this speed at the drop of a hat.

10.3 vs 12 wont even result a resolution drop, maybe some settings higher on Xbox that’s it?
Not sure how much benefit ssd would bring for ps5 in graphics tho.

That's at boost clock frequency though. We'll have to wait and see what the difference is when the system is running actual games.

Those are the official numbers. Either it can reach 10.3 or it can't, and Cerny says it can.

That's at boost clock frequency though. We'll have to wait and see what the difference is when the system is running actual games.
Boost can't be as inconsistent as we're typically used too, we would have heard so much from devs about how unpredicatability makes there jobs harder.

did they not even show the box?

Not even the controller this time. Sony are such trolls!

Talking about Dreams.... the dream is over lol.
Oh man, it's really 9TF with boost.
CPU is 100MHz slower than Sex Box.
Lower RAM bandwidth that have to be shared between the CPU and GPU unlike the dedicated lanes on Sex Box.
The SDD is nice, but all the transistors used for that probably subtracted from the GPU, and specially... it's good that the consumer can buy a standard SSD for expandable storage, but the money Microsoft will make with their proprietary cards should help subside the bigger GPU.
And not talk about back compatibility with the PS3-2?

The wonderful thing about having no allegiances is that you can switch from one console to the other.

I'm definitely going Xbox for the coming generation. PS5 sounds disappointing. I was expecting some BC for PS, PS2, and PS3 (optimistic, I know), looks like we get none of that. What's the point is adopting a hardware solution to BC when a software one can cover more hardware types?

Back