Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I think the biggest concern is that high clock on the GPU. Heat management? Reliability?

Almost all 100 most played PS4 games playable at launch.

Dude - just been on the Hallmark website and they don't have a 'consolations on the loss your powerful games console dream' card. I hope you accept these digital condolences.

I think the forum should hold a minute's silence in respect for ultragpu's loss. (in the future it'll be 1 second instead of 1 minute because storage is sooo much faster).
Has nothing to do with power, a would've got one at 1.85 or 1.8. I'm not going to get their overclocked pos that'll be nothing but problems. I'll skip that thank you. You enjoy though.

From DF ...

Introducing boost for PlayStation 5
It's really important to clarify the PlayStation 5's use of variable frequencies. It's called 'boost' but it should not be compared with similarly named technologies found in smartphones, or even PC components like CPUs and GPUs. There, peak performance is tied directly to thermal headroom, so in higher temperature environments, gaming frame-rates can be lower - sometimes a lot lower. This is entirely at odds with expectations from a console, where we expect all machines to deliver the exact same performance. To be abundantly clear from the outset, PlayStation 5 is not boosting clocks in this way. According to Sony, all PS5 consoles process the same workloads with the same performance level in any environment, no matter what the ambient temperature may be.

So how does boost work in this case? Put simply, the PlayStation 5 is given a set power budget tied to the thermal limits of the cooling assembly. "It's a completely different paradigm," says Cerny. "Rather than running at constant frequency and letting the power vary based on the workload, we run at essentially constant power and let the frequency vary based on the workload."

An internal monitor analyses workloads on both CPU and GPU and adjusts frequencies to match. While it's true that every piece of silicon has slightly different temperature and power characteristics, the monitor bases its determinations on the behaviour of what Cerny calls a 'model SoC' (system on chip) - a standard reference point for every PlayStation 5 that will be produced.​

The SSD thing seems weird.

-Evidently it's faster than Series X? Cool, but will it Matter? Will anyone notice? Will it be one second vs 2 second load times? Will DF analyze load time differences noticeably? Will it be a huge edge in system throughput? Yet to be determined.

-825 is weird and just adds to the whole "It's like the Series X but less" idea. Big round numbers are surprisingly important to dumb consumer masses IMO.

-Will consumers be confused on how adding storage will work? I kind of am. I guess you just have to get any 3rd party SSD certified by Sony, when they come available. It could become a pricing edge for Sony over time since it's non proprietary, but we have to wait and see.

From DF ...

Introducing boost for PlayStation 5
It's really important to clarify the PlayStation 5's use of variable frequencies. It's called 'boost' but it should not be compared with similarly named technologies found in smartphones, or even PC components like CPUs and GPUs. There, peak performance is tied directly to thermal headroom, so in higher temperature environments, gaming frame-rates can be lower - sometimes a lot lower. This is entirely at odds with expectations from a console, where we expect all machines to deliver the exact same performance. To be abundantly clear from the outset, PlayStation 5 is not boosting clocks in this way. According to Sony, all PS5 consoles process the same workloads with the same performance level in any environment, no matter what the ambient temperature may be.

So how does boost work in this case? Put simply, the PlayStation 5 is given a set power budget tied to the thermal limits of the cooling assembly. "It's a completely different paradigm," says Cerny. "Rather than running at constant frequency and letting the power vary based on the workload, we run at essentially constant power and let the frequency vary based on the workload."

An internal monitor analyses workloads on both CPU and GPU and adjusts frequencies to match. While it's true that every piece of silicon has slightly different temperature and power characteristics, the monitor bases its determinations on the behaviour of what Cerny calls a 'model SoC' (system on chip) - a standard reference point for every PlayStation 5 that will be produced.​
? How is that different than typical boost clocks?

Back