Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

It looks like PS5 has a highly customized I/O design.

Now we know why microsoft put emphasis in guaranteed clocks. Not a fan at all of boost clocks on a console. I suspect sustained clocks will be in the low 9.x tflop range. This is just a reversal of the hardware specs from last gen. Fortunately for Sony they have massive brand power and the best developers in the industry.

In short, XBSX wins the performance crown and is a beast, but PS5 still delivers a generational advance that's going to be very visibly. Future comparisons might well be a bit boring as both SoC's are 100% AMD. We'll just have a little bit of 'faster clocked versus wider'. Comparing machines will be a bit pointless, I guess. They are machines that people will choose based on everything else, and enjoy for the content on them.

In short, XBSX wins the performance crown and is a beast, but PS5 still delivers a generational advance that's going to be very visibly. Future comparisons might well be a bit boring as both SoC's are 100% AMD. We'll just have a little bit of 'faster clocked versus wider'. Comparing machines will be a bit pointless, I guess. They are machines that people will choose based on everything else, and enjoy for the content on them.

2070s/2080 vs 2080ti

Boost clock is useless for anything that will need full horsepower. It's a 9tf console.

So no ps5 then, I'll have to think a while if an xsx is in the cards.
Dude - just been on the Hallmark website and they don't have a 'consolations on the loss your powerful games console dream' card. I hope you accept these digital condolences.

I think the forum should hold a minute's silence in respect for ultragpu's loss. (in the future it'll be 1 second instead of 1 minute because storage is sooo much faster).

Upgradable to specifically approved M2 units.

I'm surprised at the memory bandwidth of both next gen consoles. Previous consoles all had at least 50 GB/s memory bandwidth per TFLOP. Dedicated GPUs are almost always below that but they don't share that bandwidth with the CPU.

thanks but needs a log in

That's weird, I'm watching without being logged in. Just tried with a mobile phone not connected to my WLAN (so different IP) and it works without log in as well.

Yeah, so, nothing that exciting after the xbsx announce. Honestly, I was hoping for a différenciation point from xbsx, like 1.6 ssd of 32gb of memory.
Good luck with the ssd validation btw. I like the xbsx system better right now, with custom extension.

At least Sony continues to allow off the shelf upgrades for storage

Not yet. They have to be faster than Sony's drive and physically fit. No drives support it now. Hope to have commercial products out at end of the year.

Dude - just been on the Hallmark website and they don't have a 'consolations on the loss your powerful games console dream' card. I hope you accept these digital condolences.

I think the forum should hold a minute's silence in respect for ultragpu's loss. (in the future it'll be 1 second instead of 1 minute because storage is sooo much faster).

PS5 is a big jump over pro, will be interesting to see the face offs but I know I likely buy both day one

And I thought the XBX drive was pretty fast already.
io.jpg

Back