Apple announced new iPad Pro models today.
Apple said:
Now with the A12Z Bionic chip, iPad Pro is faster and more powerful than most Windows PC laptops. The new iPad Pro adds an Ultra Wide camera, studio-quality mics and a breakthrough LiDAR Scanner that delivers cutting-edge depth-sensing capabilities, opening up more pro workflows and supporting pro photo and video apps.
The LiDAR scanner is presumably the rumored ToF/3D sensor.
Apple said:
Apple today also introduced the new Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro. With a floating design with smooth angle adjustment, a backlit keyboard and trackpad, the Magic Keyboard delivers the best typing experience ever on iPad. The Magic Keyboard will be available for purchase in May.
The A12Z has an 8 core GPU, which is one more graphics core than the A12X. I wonder if it is the "Tinos" chip with 4 big CPU cores and 4 big CPU cores that @never_released mentioned last year.

I wonder how much RAM the new iPad Pros have. While the 2018 iPad Pros have differing RAM capacities based on storage (4 GB for 64/256/512 GB and 6 GB for 1 TB), there were also eight different model identifiers, four for the 4 GB models and four for the 6 GB models. In contrast, only four identifiers for the new iPad Pros have been found, so I think there's a strong chance of only one RAM amount for the entire iPad Pro lineup.

I meant to post earlier, well done you beat a ton of major tech sites which this announcement and many still have not covered it. I've been waiting to upgrade my iPad for a few years so a 12.9" 512Gb slate is winging its way to me early next week. Ship times have already rolled back by weeks so my thanks for a timely post!

$300 or $350 for that keyboard with the trackpad.

That puts the 11-inch iPad Pro WiFi model with the Magic Keyboard at $1100.

They also allude to third-party pointing device support.

At the prices of the Magic Keyboard, you’d think third parties will have a lot of room to provide alternatives at much more competitive prices.

That hinge looks great in the photo but will it work well if not on tables or desks, such as sitting on a couch or using in bed?

There used to be data showing that mornings and nights, around times when people would wake up or go to bed were peak times for iPad or mobile device usage, suggesting that usage in bed was pretty common.

I’m wondering if this Magic Keyboard would be better-positioned as a desktop dock, with more ports.

There are rumors of another iPad Pro coming later in the fall, with 5G modem and presumably an A13 SOC variant.

From TechInsights:
TechInsights said:
Our analysis confirms #Apple #A12Z GPU chip found inside #iPadPro (model A2068) is the same as A12X predecessor.
EVgmwYRXgAMNsJ7

Does anyone know why the SoC on the right is 0.02 mm wider than the one on the left?

Back