Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

uh, my mom working as lecturer in a university, still working as usual. but right now in the middle of video training (attended by me) how to conduct class via Cisco Webex.

1. It needs chrome extension
2. Its login page is confusing
3. the whole UX is confusing (own webcam view is blank white, its working or being blocked by Host? no info)

google hangouts or skype is way simpler with better UX... and its free....

Webex is ancient tech that they don't bother updating to anything modern. We used it at our company for years but thankfully we're 100% MS Teams now for inter-company communication.

Teams is temporarily free due to Corona apparently so that helps. I have good experiences with Zoom as well and Google Hangouts was good also, though that is getting a bit more confusing with the separate for business version etc.

Yeah Google hangouts / meet is awesome, and everyone basically already have a Google account.

Btw one of the lecturer asks why use webex and not the myriad other (and the homegrown video conf web app). The answer: because webex have the best feature for controlling the participant (mute / kick / attendance report / etc)

Then I though in my heart: isn't all of those also on ms teams, on Google meet, etc? Hmm

Now I suspect Cisco probably "lobbied" some key people... Heck, even the conference was attended by 2 Cisco people!

Btw one of the lecturer asks why use webex and not the myriad other (and the homegrown video conf web app). The answer: because webex have the best feature for controlling the participant (mute / kick / attendance report / etc)

Then I though in my heart: isn't all of those also on ms teams, on Google meet, etc? Hmm
Webex does have more enterprise features than Teams, and Google, being Google, has basic features. Webex is just a terrible interface to use, Teams is so much more seamless, no one in our company wants to go back to webex irrespective of features.

Yeah Google hangouts / meet is awesome, and everyone basically already have a Google account.

Now I suspect Cisco probably "lobbied" some key people... Heck, even the conference was attended by 2 Cisco people!

Yep but the advance of Zoom for instance is that only the host needs to have an account. And it almost always just works ...

MS Teams is great but I don't have it at my job. I changed last week, like the best week ever in history to change jobs to an industry that is being hit pretty hard by this mess. Thankfully I work in infosec and I could go to another place if they let me go.

At my new job they are still using Skype for Business and don't even have webmail. :-|

Next time I will ask about these things in a job interview. It makes life much, much easier. BTW gotomeeting is also a fine teleconference solution.

Ohio's numbers for today of Confirmed: 88 (up from 67), and 38 in Cuyahoga County (up from 31), with 26 Hospitalizations.

I am helping my mom as well. I recommended zoom, but her university has blackboard and I think they already have a solution. How does teams and zoom compare in terms of features? Zoom was fine but the whiteboard app was awful compared to Ms whiteboard. Does teams integrate with whiteboard directly (I know it does a onenote but that is better for asynchronous collaboration)? Too bad MS new feature where everything is instant sync is not ready yet. What about screen share? I guess I can check but if someone knows that would be nice .

First you'll have to believe China is saying the truth, then you have to consider that an authoritarian communist dictatorship can do whatever the fuck they want to their 2 billion slaves.
Cmon mate, you can't be that much misinformed and brainwashed, can you?
?

EDIT: I'm not misinformed and brainswashed for claiming China doesn't always tell the truth, considering they didn't tell the truth to the WHO before this turned into a pandemic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Question mark, what don't you understand?

Covid-19 was identified as originating from bats from a local wet market in Wuhan. It takes seven days for an infected person to display symptons (on average), but unusually for flu-type vira, it is infectious earlier than that.

WHO got involved on december 31st because there were reports of a pneumonia of unknown cause. The first team of WHO experts arrived on january 21st, a week after that tweet. Then it became apparent there were human-to-human transmission. As shit got real, chinese officials moved quickly to limit social interactions. They have also been forthcoming with their statistics, don't take my word for it, read the reports of the western WHO officials that went there.

But yeah, that tweet was wrong. You're hindsight is excellent, congrats.

Cheers

You both should read the post history and the topic at hand.
Calmly and with more attention this time.

Hating and dogpiling is easy. Understanding, not so much.

Fair enough, but then you should post a proper question instead of just a question mark, saving people from having to do some investigative journalism just to work out what your point is. ;) Every (query) post should be written to facilitate a sage response.

Ohio's numbers for today of Confirmed: 119 (up from 88), and 53 in Cuyahoga County (up from 38), with 33 Hospitalizations (up from 26).

Back