Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

it makes a lot of sense being the week of GDC, but I have to say, given No GDC, it does look an awful lot like a response to MS recent XBSX reveal.
I wonder if there were any conversations @ Sony HQ, about possibly delaying this announcement, so as not to look like so much a direct response to MS's announcement.

Of course if it's all part of the "and now more from GDC..." stream the Sony announcement looks much less like a response.
So for those in the know about it being GDC time, it looks fine, but to anyone who doesn't, it looks an awful lot like a response.

"It's about the optics!"

OT: Wooohoo 3 days til DOOOOOOM!
I don't have the quote but it was reported that this has been in the works for a while by Sony and was most likely their plan all along.

I'm really hoping we hear something about VR, these machines should be able to deliver proper fps so I'm looking to finally investing in VR hardware.
I don't imagine so. I expect this to be about PS5 and not an optional headset. A PSVR2 would want some notable coverage on its own, and would provide some future community engagement in a PR event later. That said, I'm looking forwards to what developments happen in VR. Is eye-tracking going to make it? Will the headset work with more people?

So I'm interested in the format of how this is going to play out today. Cerny is fine, but I don't see him being in the MC role of a reveal like this. He should be in more of subject role where he's interviewed or has the mic handed to him (and of course can hand it back for the next segment) or is even part of a panel. Looking at the ps4 reveal, it was done with a live audience which is pretty different from a studio/sound booth so I can't see that format working well. Maybe a good comp could be an infomercial or news show format with a host and guests both in studio and remotely via monitor. This format would be conducive to introducing video and partner segments. Some in depth and/or behind the scenes clips from the dev studios(extolling the benefits) could make for some very compelling segments and also open natural places for revealing game footage. With the current events situation this will have to be done live as much as possible or it could come off as tone deft. All in all though, if it's done professionally, it could work out quite well for them.
I don't think it replaces the excitement of a live stage event, but sometimes you just need to make lemonade.

It's a giant disappointment unless there is 120Hz gran turismo on psvr2 with completely dynamic weather and day of time all with fully ray traced lightning and reflections for all tracks. Car AI of course has to be neural network based. Network is trained with real humans and race drivers. All this possible thanks to sony proprietary ML accelerator used for inference. Well, not seriously, but that would be awesome.

No way Sony can "win" this one.
Microsoft made the right move not revealing the specs directly to the consumers. There's no way Cerny can compete in enthusiasm with all those youtubers that makes a living from hyper the next big thing of the week.

I just want an honest interview instead of a suit spouting hyperboles. Cerny is the perfect guy for a GDC style presentation. And if they have new games to show, I want trailers and interviews with the game designers. Not a big preamble about how excited they are and how many copies the previous iterations of the franchise sold. Dev things, gamer things, not suit things.

Clear and precise explanations about the architecture is always a breath of fresh air. Not the PR fuzziness we continuously need to read between the lines. (the hovis roulette is like a tuned honda civic? What?)

I just want an honest interview instead of a suit spouting hyperboles. Cerny is the perfect guy for a GDC style presentation. And if they have new games to show, I want trailers and interviews with the game designers. Not a big preamble about how excited they are and how many copies the previous iterations of the franchise sold. Dev things, gamer things, not suit things.

Clear and precise explanations about the architecture is always a breath of fresh air. Not the PR fuzziness we continuously need to read between the lines. (the hovis roulette is like a tuned honda civic? What?)

But don't you think that for the majority of the consumers this will looks like just a reaction from Sony?
Which console is better doesn't matter yet, what matters is the consumer's mindset, how many people will be convinced to buy one at the end of the year.

But don't you think that for the majority of the consumers this will looks like just a reaction from Sony?
Which console is better doesn't matter yet, what matters is the consumer's mindset, how many people will be convinced to buy one at the end of the year.

It's like 2 people on internet forums and few geeks/fanboys who care about that. For the masses buying consoles it's all about price first and then the games.

It doesn't matter a jot if Sony show something impressive looking. This months console war battle ground for those that care will end up being Hellblade 2 vs whatever demos Sony's graphically accomplished first parties have cooked up. Or, if Sony really know what they're doing, ray traced ducks.

Reactions: JPT
Sony talked about storage a few month ago, like it was a big advantage for them in next gen, but now, with what ms showed up, I wonder how they can do better...

Who gives a shit? It's a game developer presentation. Consumers shouldn't be involved with stuff they don't understand. If some lame Joe Public wants to tweet about reactions, go ahead. Makes no difference to PS5's eventual sales and success/failure, which'll be entirely dependent on Sony's hardware choices, implementation, software, marketing, and pricing.

Maybe the presentation will a contrast to MS. So sony will reveal very little about the HW but reveal tons of SW stuff (gameplay, the whole dashboard, even more detailed dive into their quick resume feature, etc)

Maybe the presentation will a contrast to MS. So sony will reveal very little about the HW but reveal tons of SW stuff (gameplay, the whole dashboard, even more detailed dive into their quick resume feature, etc)

This is presentation planned for Game Developer Conference. Expect architecture details. It might not even be flops/clock speeds but just rather what game developers should be planning for and taking into consideration.

Back