Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Asked for his reaction to the platform holders’ plans, Inaba said: “It’s OK. And by that I mean, I’m sure that things will move faster, graphics will be better and maybe it will be easier with less wait times… that’s good for the consumer.

“But it’s more of the same, quite frankly, compared to previous generations. It’s nothing that’s disruptive or super innovative, if you ask me.”

He added: “Game hardware used to be about custom chips that you couldn’t do on PCs. Now you look at it and they’re just grabbing stuff that already exists."

He doesn't understand that in 2020, custom=slow and expensive. He doesn't make hardware, to quote Baker Mayfield, he doesn't know.

Whatever console has the most bespoke tech will probably be weakest. Economies of scale are big.

It's boring, but it's reality.

Now this though lol. OK I'm done posting this crap now.

In a market space where visual/gameplay upgrades have been traditionally promoted to ensure the sales of new gen hardware, a gaming journalist and developer don't understand why some hardcore users would want to know theoretical performance maximums? That's the dumbest shit ever.

This is like an auto engineer and car enthusiast magazine wondering why hard core drivers care about horsepower, torque, 0-60, braking power and cornering abilities.

Enthusiasts care because they simply don't want to buy into the PR and marketing. They want to see what's under the hood and make that call themselves.

Last edited:
the end Result is rather sobering
You seem very disappointed from the HW.
I assume what you expect is no longer possible because with time progress becomes harder and more expensive too achieve. Designing a CPU / GPU architecture only for a certain console brand probably could not compete. Just look at how hard it is to compete with GPUs or CPUs if we look at HW efforts from China or Russia. It's not bad but basically only half the performance of the boring state of the art stuff we see in PC space, for now. How could a custom console chip leap ahead? Or if so, how would it make sense to keep such a leap exclusive to game boxes, if it could serve general compute or PC gaming just as well?
Personally i'm very impressed from the specs MS has shown. It's more than i have expected and more than i need.

I think you should move your expectations and disappointments from hardware to software. Then it is all justified and makes sense. Because Moores Law wont stop progress there, although achieving progress becomes harder here just as much.

Do you have a few predictions for tomorrow ?

Not to me, but ...

I predict after the reveal, that despite it being a great technical stalemate, each camp's side will feel like they wont and the other lost and will continue the online battles. And the console wars shall continue in DLC 8 (next-gen 2020).

Not to me, but ...

I predict after the reveal, that despite it being a great technical stalemate, each camp's side will feel like they wont and the other lost and will continue the online battles. And the console wars shall continue in DLC 8 (next-gen 2020).
So this is absolutely going to be a technical stalemate you say ? That should already be a prediction.

You seem very disappointed from the HW.

That happens when you expect too much. At first 2080 level performance in rasterisation seemed impossible, then we just upped the ante again and again.
I think that a 2080 level GPU (with 2060 RT perf atleast), 10gb vram, 6gb system ram, a 2.4gb/s ssd, a downclocked 3700x, and amd trueaudio next seems very plausible for a 2020 console at a 400 to 500 dollar pricepoint. It's basically a mid to high end pc from late 2018 for 3 to 4 times less money.

It's not bad but basically only half the performance of the boring state of the art stuff we see in PC space, for now.

Was to be expected, the more intresting thing now is what AMD has to offer, they could go close to 20TF of full fat rdna2, same for RTX3000 and the RT performance on that after two years Turing launched. Zen 3 will improve only more, competing or besting Intel on every front, a high clocked 12c/24t cpu this or next year could do some nice things for AMD.
No idea where the VRAM will go, but 16GB for the higher end tier seems reasonable. MS's direct storage could help the SSD implementation for next gen games on pc.

Jason seems to be setting the stage for weaker PS5. The next question is if he actually knows anything though.

This is what i and others have been saying for awhile now. It is not so much the specs, but the 'insiders' behind them claiming the specs. Closer to reveal and you see them backing out, or banning themselfs etc (close to supposed feb reveal).
The PS5 could very well be higher then 9TF, but proof isn't in the insiders for that atleast. Someone, perhaps not even a insider, could have said the truth somewhere, but that gets overshadowed. I think the PS5 will be weaker then XSX, because Tom from DF thinks so, github, the smaller chip, komachi etc.
We will know soon enough, if the PS5 is indeed 13.5TF. Anyway, i don't care, i'm a pc gamer, both consoles got outclassed two years ago for the most part, just fun to see people battling over some teraflops :)

Gotta say, MS has done a wonderfull job with the XSX, a very powerfull package, and right out of the box giving us BC with HDR to that, ray tracing etc. With the xbox atleast, you will have much to play with already on launch.

That happens when you expect too much. At first 2080 level performance in rasterisation seemed impossible, then we just upped the ante again and again.
I think that a 2080 level GPU (with 2060 RT perf atleast), 10gb vram, 6gb system ram, a 2.4gb/s ssd, a downclocked 3700x, and amd trueaudio next seems very plausible for a 2020 console at a 400 to 500 dollar pricepoint. It's basically a mid to high end pc from late 2018 for 3 to 4 times less money.

Was to be expected, the more intresting thing now is what AMD has to offer, they could go close to 20TF of full fat rdna2, same for RTX3000 and the RT performance on that after two years Turing launched. Zen 3 will improve only more, competing or besting Intel on every front, a high clocked 12c/24t cpu this or next year could do some nice things for AMD.
No idea where the VRAM will go, but 16GB for the higher end tier seems reasonable. MS's direct storage could help the SSD implementation for next gen games on pc.

This is what i and others have been saying for awhile now. It is not so much the specs, but the 'insiders' behind them claiming the specs. Closer to reveal and you see them backing out, or banning themselfs etc (close to supposed feb reveal).
The PS5 could very well be higher then 9TF, but proof isn't in the insiders for that atleast. Someone, perhaps not even a insider, could have said the truth somewhere, but that gets overshadowed. I think the PS5 will be weaker then XSX, because Tom from DF thinks so, github, the smaller chip, komachi etc.
We will know soon enough, if the PS5 is indeed 13.5TF. Anyway, i don't care, i'm a pc gamer, both consoles got outclassed two years ago for the most part, just fun to see people battling over some teraflops :)

Gotta say, MS has done a wonderfull job with the XSX, a very powerfull package, and right out of the box giving us BC with HDR to that, ray tracing etc. With the xbox atleast, you will have much to play with already on launch.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/30/minecraft-rtx-ray-tracing-hands-on/

“These are RTX 2080 Ti-based systems and we’re getting roughly 60fps from this,” Nvidia said. “But the goal now is to always make sure every game runs well on the RTX 2060. That’s always the plan.”

2060 RT level strange...

Do you have a few predictions for tomorrow ?

I said in the other thread, I've believed github/9.2/36/32 CU throughout.

I think there's a solid chance they dont even talk about Flops tomorrow, which in my mind greatly increase the 9TF scenario.

Not sure what else to predict, the easy stuff, 8 zen 2 core at 3.5 ghz+, 1TB SSD with special sauce, 16 GB GDRR6, etc. I assume they'll show the form factor and not the price. They'll probably show some small demo like MS did. Or maybe even a proper next gen game in order to one up MS.

He doesn't understand that in 2020, custom=slow and expensive. He doesn't make hardware, to quote Baker Mayfield, he doesn't know.

Whatever console has the most bespoke tech will probably be weakest. Economies of scale are big.

It's boring, but it's reality.
He understand perfectly. Back then graphics were being explored, hence custom hardware. Now graphics are a given and defined by the R&D of a GPU oligopoly. In 2020 there is no room to go custom and come up with something new.

@chris1515

There's a whole discussion on resetera regarding that, in the DF MC DXR thread. I'm on DF's side for this, it's close to a 2080 in raster performance, below that for RT.

Digitalfoubdry told above 60 fps without giving resolution. Nvidia showed the game running at 60 fps at 1080p in october 2019 or maybe it is a bit above 70 fps. Here the game run at 1080p between 30 and 60 fps on XSX.

Digitalfoubdry told above 60 fps without giving resolution. Nvidia showed the game running at 60 fps at 1080p in october 2019 or maybe it is a bit above 70 fps. Here the game run at 1080p between 30 and 60 fps on XSX.

DF says comparable to RTX 2080 in raster performance, i'l go by that without trying to spin and bend it to something else. It makes sense, as someone pointed out, 2080 is above 10TF turing (due to clocks), all things equal, it should be close to the XSX.

MS's direct storage could help the SSD implementation for next gen games on pc.
Curious if we get 'DirectStorage' on PC, yes. I predicted this could or should happen.
But i hope we get something more open, less proprietary as well. I do not really like they way MS tries to lure us into their ecosystems.
Though, we're using Windows so i might expect too much. Let's see if we get this at all.

Curious if we get 'DirectStorage' on PC, yes. I predicted this could or should happen.
But i hope we get something more open, less proprietary as well. I do not really like they way MS tries to lure us into their ecosystems.
Though, we're using Windows so i might expect too much. Let's see if we get this at all.

Wasn't it confirmed, that direct storage will make it to PC? We might also see SSD's akin to XSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back