Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
edit: to clarify, also getting PS5 on launch day. This is going to be an expensive year because I also want to upgrade my iPad Pro, my MacBook and my TV. Fortunately I've already saved.
Dude's single-handedly going to kick-start the world economy. ;)

I agree, this is the first and only XBox that I consider appealing. That said, I've not liked any of the XBox user interfaces. I think that's a new, vital part of the equation, where these machines may be competing most. Also, what about camera for Streamers and stuff? There's still some important info to come.

I agree, this is the first and only XBox that I consider appealing. That said, I've not liked any of the XBox user interfaces. I think that's a new, vital part of the equation, where these machines may be competing most. Also, what about camera for Streamers and stuff? There's still some important info to come.

Yeah, I am hesitant on the UI. I struggle to think of any Microsoft product that had a UI that I liked. I'm hoping both Sony and Microsoft will look at Switch's simple and fast UI and just use something similar. By all means give folks for options of laying out and organising games but please let me disable all the social stuff that pops up when you're navigating.

Yeah, I am hesitant on the UI. I struggle to think of any Microsoft product that had a UI that I liked. I'm hoping both Sony and Microsoft will look at Switch's simple and fast UI and just use something similar. By all means give folks for options of laying out and organising games but please let me disable all the social stuff that pops up when you're navigating.

You can do that now on Xbox One.

Tommy McClain

The inevitable RT comparison:
Series X: 1080p @ 30fps to 60fps
RTX 2080Ti: 1440p ~60?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...en-ray-tracing-analysis.175613/#post-29971612
30 to 60fps? hmmmm, it would be only interesting if it ran at locked 60 fps. It's a decent framerate.

In fact, I am getting reused to it. I set the refresh rate of my monitor to 165Hz but limited the max framerate on the nVidia Control Panel to 60 fps to conserve energy during this coronavirus outbreak, and also 'cos of the "silence", and in many many AAA games the fans of the GPU don't even start spinning when playing at 1440p 60fps.

Plus it allows me to use some extra graphics effects. But it's taking a while, although 60 fps on all games was, not many years ago, a dream.

It goes to show RT systems arent much different so cross platform titles arent too complex.
They was never going to design DXR api that didn't support the console.
We don't know how different the underlying implementation is.

The only thing we did know all this time was that it would support DX12, then when they said RT it was a given (and always mentioned) DXR.

All we can do now is wait to see how performant it is and if it has any additional features.

Good on MS for showing standard minecraft with soft lighting enabled when comparing it to the DXR version, unlike Nvidia which compared the RTX version with flat shaded minecraft to artificially enhance the difference.

On a negative side, the GI is pretty hard to notice there. The biggest differentiators seem to be the sun/moon shadows and normaps, which classical real-time shader solutions do an equally competent job at emulating right now at a fraction of the cost. Path Tracing makes a difference when we get those really juicy multi bounce scenes with that much more added depth and volume to the geometry. I don't really see much of that there....

Last edited:
I'm really curious about Sampler Feedback Streaming. So you have a 4k texture (for example) sitting on your ssd. That game image is now directly addressable like a page of virtual memory. The GPU then needs to sample the texture, so that means it decides which page table entry of the texture it needs to sample and loads it from the ssd, somehow, instead of loading the whole texture. I wonder what the page table entry size is, and how fast their new system can stream that table entry into RAM. That's more of a per-frame operation than I was expecting the SSD to be relied upon for.

I'm not convinced any of the Xbox Velocity Architecture is anything more than a rebranding of HBCC.

Maybe better to compare to the 2080, as that's closest in performance for now.
As others said, raster performance of a 2080, RT perf of a 2060.

If so, it could be this gen is too early for raytracing (assuming Ps5 doesnt have some Sony special RT sauce).

Or not, I'm not an expert! Perhaps console optimization overcomes.

It has nothing to do with HBCC but it looks like Virtual texturing.

Including solid state storage as a virtualized memory space and trying to get the important pages of Data into the fast working memory when they are actually needed, which is how XVA has been described, pretty much exactly matches what HBCC does.

If so, it could be this gen is too early for raytracing (assuming Ps5 doesnt have some Sony special RT sauce).

Or not, I'm not an expert! Perhaps console optimization overcomes.

Special Sony Sauce aside, ray tracing hardware will contribute good thing to the look of next gen titles. It's to early to say what becomes typical in AAA. Might know later today if Cerny is generous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back