Sony Playstation 5 Reveal? [The Great Awaitening] [HangOver Day: 2020-03-18]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d be absolutely shocked if Sony decide to come out now as a response to MS, and allow themselves to be swallowed up by the news cycle. Not for the one brand that has been almost single-handedly keeping them afloat through years of pain.
I trust you are now shocked!

But I agree, on the face of it this seems a really dumb time to info dump but equally, they need to do it some time so why not now. They obviously aren't going to garner the headlines they otherwise would if there wasn't a mini-apocalypse burning away but games consoles pretty non-mainstream (compared to laptops, phones, TVs, tablets etc) that maybe it really doesn't matter.

I trust you are now shocked!

But I agree, on the face of it this seems a really dumb time to info dump but equally, they need to do it some time so why not now. They obviously aren't going to garner the headlines they otherwise would if there wasn't a mini-apocalypse burning away but games consoles pretty non-mainstream (compared to laptops, phones, TVs, tablets etc) that maybe it really doesn't matter.
Yeah that post of mine aged really badly really quickly :LOL:

But I agree, on the face of it this seems a really dumb time to info dump but equally, they need to do it some time so why not now.
It's a Game Developer thing. Game Devs are still going to want this info, I presume. Whatever GDC is for and whyever Sony would talk there about PS5, that still needs to happen for the same reason.

...games consoles pretty non-mainstream...
I really do disagree with your term there. I'd say console gaming is mainstream. Those other things you talk about are more 'ubiquitous'. Other things like crochet are 'niche'. Sitting between 'ubiquitous' and 'niche' is 'mainstream', no? Mainstream TV programmes never reach all the people but a sizeable chunk. A mainstream YouTuber may have tens of millions of followers out of a potential audience of billions; same with a mainstream music artist. Consoles reach a large audience, are present in a significant number of households, and command a very visible slice of popular culture.

Console gaming used to be a niche, the domain of kids and nerds. Seemingly largely thanks to PlayStation (and then Nintendo with their lifestyle targeting, and then kids growing up and becoming adults who still game ;)), consoles have been mainstreamed to be an acceptable pastime for pretty much anyone.

I think it will look like an Amazon Echo. Just bigger. And less annoying. So we get a big fat square X and a big fat cylinder 5.
Here you are sir.

PSV-image-1.jpg

It's a Game Developer thing. Game Devs are still going to want this info, I presume. Whatever GDC is for and whyever Sony would talk there about PS5, that still needs to happen for the same reason.
Sony could have just revealed some of this stuff to the devs who didn't have it. I'm glad they've chosen not to do this, but this was an option if devs really were the target.

I really do disagree with your term there. I'd say console gaming is mainstream.
Perhaps mainstream isn't the right word. The home console gaming market is the smallest market of pretty much all luxury consumer electronic devices. Even back in 2013, it only glimpsed a little coverage in mainstream media and rarely mentioned after the reveals and launches. In the grand scheme of things, a new games console is not that much of interest to folks who are not gamers.

You will be pleased to know that Lord Buckethead is now Count Binface.

You're welcome.

Also, for anyone not in the UK, yes this is a real political candidate who ran for real elections. For reals.

Sony getting the hype for PS5 really early, and you guys were saying they don’t know what they’re doing!

Agreed. Imagine hating your audience as much as he shows in that tweet where he wishes people would delete their accounts.

Jason Schreier proves again to be a pretty decent investigative journalist trapped inside the mind of a petulant child.
And why the hell is he mocking people who want to know the technical specs (i.e. peak theoretical values)? What exactly does he think Cerny will be talking about tomorrow, dualshock 5 and case design?

He's human man. Some people get picked at enough, months of every word being parsed, it gets to them.

You will be pleased to know that Lord Buckethead is now Count Binface.

You're welcome.

Also, for anyone not in the UK, yes this is a real political candidate who ran for real elections. For reals.

Sometimes I'm reminded how much I love this country, and it happens every time I'm reminded of that mad bastard.

He's human man. Some people get picked at enough, months of every word being parsed, it gets to them.

Yeah, the Baseless thread has been pretty annoying. I can't imagine how much of a pain in the tits it must have been having every halfwit with a Twitter account (tautology?) bleating on at you day after day.

BuBu Sony doesn't react to what MS does :p

Other than that I dont have much to say except super excited, counting the hours.

I'm mostly "worried" they wont say anything about FLOPS (the only thing anybody actually cares about, tee hee). If they have 9, I'm almost certain they wont. If they have some higher number, I dont know. If they have higher than 12.1, then yeah they'll probably say it. But that would leave them vulnerable to a last second Series X upclock (but then, maybe they could upclock back! The shenanigans!).

Either way, getting more deets (though we seemingly already know most aka SSD, Zen 2 etc, which is one reason the TF number takes center stage) will be great. I'm sure they'll blather about whatever fancy SSD customizations they've got, similar to MS. And I assume a form factor reveal will be one of the centerpieces. What we will certainly not get: price (now they'll probably announce only that to spite me).

Finally, team 9.2 till the end (or team 36/32 CU/github anyway).

Anybody find it a little odd they do this in middle of coronavirus panic? I fully support it, but yeah.

Last edited:
Perhaps mainstream isn't the right word. The home console gaming market is the smallest market of pretty much all luxury consumer electronic devices. Even back in 2013, it only glimpsed a little coverage in mainstream media and rarely mentioned after the reveals and launches. In the grand scheme of things, a new games console is not that much of interest to folks who are not gamers.

Somewhat true in a macro sense, but somewhat not. Playstation is a huge revenue generator for Sony, like 1/3 of corporate revenue IIRC. And even more of their profit. The foundation of Sony could be argued to be Playstation. So it is a big deal, too.

Anybody find it a little odd they do this in middle of coronavirus panic? I fully support it, but yeah.

I do not see any reason to wait. The virus cannot be transmitted over the internet. And the time the pandemic will last is indeterminate, so there would always be the question of 'if not now, when?'

Man one things for sure by announcing an announcement, Sony amped the hype.

I dont recall but I dont think MS pre announced any of their Series X infop drops. They just kinda dropped them, thus the hype was much less. That and Series X info has trickled out, so there's an order of magnitude less mystery around it by now anyway.

In contrast PS5 reveal stream probably going to get crashed tomorrow!

Nah, it's just that Playstation has much bigger fanbase. It's just the bigger brand.

PsHKA44.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back